Door decorations?

lastcall4all

I am a divorced man who travels with my three teenage children. I am not into arts and crafts and such, so I don't door decorate. That being said, I think that the decorated doors that I have seen are cool, clever, and indictitive of people wanting to enjoy their vacation in every way. Don't let the naysayers stop you. It is YOUR vacation!

Your teenagers are lucky to have you! You don't have to be crafty, have your kids do it - they will love you for the creative freedom!

I am one of those goofy door decoration peeps. I am sure my teens will think I am bananas and a husband who will poo poo at first but I know I am making fun memories. The goofy stuff is what we remember! When things are perfect and "classy" - really - where's the laughter? I have 16 cabins in my group - you know each cabin will have a sign!!

I always decorate our door too and next month will be my Platinum cruise and I was wondering if you had any good ideas on how I could decorate my door. I was thinking of getting a lot of silver items since it's the same color as platinum and decorating that way. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

What about one of your ports of call? Or Vegas theme? Or a special occasion? The silver theme would work well I think.

I printed out a sign indicating that it was our 8th cruise. Tucked it into a page protector and used double sided mounting tape to stick to door. went to the dollar store and picked up a bunch of cut outs for a Mexican theme. Was fun and festive. Also made finding our cabin a lot easier after a few DODs.

Have a great Platinum cruise. I have 2 more to go....:D

On our Glory cruise last year DH & I made magnets for our group. Sadly the doors would not hold the magnets. But at least everyone had a nice momento to take home.

On our upcoming Legend cruise I will probably try to find the tacky stuff you get for posters. I've heard that it holds well, but doesn't leave a residue when removed.

I've used the sticky tack type of putty to hang door decorations. It worked great.

The door decorations made it easier to find our cabin and the friends that we were cruising with. Other passengers commented that they liked them. There were probably some grumps who didn't like it, but fortunately, they kept their thoughts to themselves :)

I put on our door stuff about where we are from and how we got to Miami, just general interest stuff but I did have post it notes and a pen on door so our friend from Australia could leave us notes if we lost track of each other. She was 2 decks lower than us. I must say her door decoration was so much nicer than our but everyone kept stealing the butterflies off her door.

The doors on LEGEND were not magnetic. I brought Dry erase boards for every cabin in our group, but luckily they went into our "mail slot" catty-corner.

I loved that the door by the elevators on our side of the ship decorated their door, it made it much easier to find when I got turned around in the elevator and started down the wrong hallway.

Next time I am going to be more creative, since I have a better idea of their size.

Do you have any pictures of your decorated doors you can share? I'd like to do some for ours since we have 2 cabins - 1 for us and 1 for kids and they aren't side by side or right across the hall from one another - a few doors down from one another and that would definitely help my 8 and 6 year olds in finding the correct doors! We are sailing the Dream on 4/2/11.

I hang decorations on our door for every cruise. For our December Spirit cruise I used Christmas ribbon to make the door look like a huge package. I hung a plastic sleeve with copies of a "The Night Before Christmas" themed poem that the author changed to a "The Night Before our Cruise" poem. I started with 50 copies of the poem and at the end of the cruise I had none left. I also create a "scrapbook" page that is hung in a sleeve. This page is a 12 x 12 sheet that reflects the reason/theme for our cruise. The December cruise was a Christmas theme of course, but it also mentioned that my husband reached Platinum status.

Our upcoming b2b Dream cruise is to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary - I will have the door decorated with wedding bells and a scrapbook page decorated for our anniversary.

I have seen many doors decorated with many different decorations - I have made a point to walk around and look at them. The most fun one was a door that was covered with white paper and a pouch with colored pencils. The notes that were left on the paper were very amusing to read. Even the staff added a few lines.

I use duct tape to keep everything on the door and I make a point of cleaning everything before I debark.

I planned on just bringing ribbon that I could tie onto the door handle or mail slot. Last cruise it was just me and DH, so we only had to remember our cabin number (and this year it's easy to remember- all powers of 2), but this way we can find out travel-mates cabin, and they are many decks above us...

I've decorated doors in hotels before, I think it's fun, and I love seeing other's decorations- but sadly, packing space is very very limited. DH and I are going to try to pack for 12 days in just 1 suitcase... Stupid airline fees.

As others have said, not all of the doors are magnetic. I have been on the Dream and Glory since I started decorating and neither doors were magnetic. I also bring the two sided sticky stuff from 3M which works very well.

If you know that the doors are magnetic, one thing I have done in the past is by Magnetic printer paper and printed many things out, including pictures of each of the islands we were visiting. Unfortunately, those came up missing the first night....

CJ

We were on Glory and had to use tape as the door was not magnetic as crusnbee pointed out. There were four cabins in a row with decorations (we were travelling as a group) and a lot of the other cabins commented that our decorations helped them find their way 'home' at night!

Do you have any pictures of your decorated doors you can share? I'd like to do some for ours since we have 2 cabins - 1 for us and 1 for kids and they aren't side by side or right across the hall from one another - a few doors down from one another and that would definitely help my 8 and 6 year olds in finding the correct doors! We are sailing the Dream on 4/2/11.

Here's one from my October cruise with my son...

34407_1705356314639_1259965477_1819704_4079589_n.jpg

I just checked out the party store, got a cute "fun in the sun" sign, and a couple of metallic curly streamers with beach themed things hanging from the bottom.

Just used clear packing tape to hang them on the door.

Removed everything on the last day, and our neighbor thanked us for decorating, so she could find her door more easily!

Bah Hum Bug...there's one in every crowd!

3M makes double sided sticky stuff that works great for sticking stuff to the door. You can even hang something from your mail slot beside your door.

It makes it easy to find your room and other CC members can find you easily.

Make that two of us in a crowd. I do not see a purpose in it and I can always find the right door.

When walking down that long hallway, it is easier to see how much further you have to go with out looking at the number on every door to see how much closer you are getting!

Vacation is spsed to be free spirited and relaxing....let loose a little bit geez!

As others have said, not all of the doors are magnetic. I have been on the Dream and Glory since I started decorating and neither doors were magnetic. I also bring the two sided sticky stuff from 3M which works very well.

If you know that the doors are magnetic, one thing I have done in the past is by Magnetic printer paper and printed many things out, including pictures of each of the islands we were visiting. Unfortunately, those came up missing the first night....

CJ

It appears that many "craft type" people are not up on science and/or don't really think about what they write/post, but, no doors on any of CCL's ships are magnetic. They may be made of a ferrous metal that allows magnetic items to stick to them but the doors are not magnetic.

Just wanted to correct that factual error in an otherwise fascinating thread. Good luck with your craft projects and see you on Lido!

Archived