Free upgrade from Cat 9 to Cat 6!

mong1114

Today we were notified by Disney that we were upgraded from our Cat 9 room (oceanview room on deck 2) to Cat 6 (verandah on deck 6). While I know many people would be excited about this, we had specifically chosen an oceanview room without a verandah not because of money, but because we have an active 5 year old and I was nervous having the verandah. I am a worrier and don't want to "look a gift horse in the mouth", so I am curious how secure the balconies are? Can I lock them from the top of the door inside the cabin? How high are the railings? I did have a balcony on a RCL ship 7 years ago but can't remember! Don't get me wrong, my daughter is not out of control, but I do worry about things like that! Please set my mind at ease!

I had the same fears fo rmy grandson however the doors have a lock up high and oen on the handle plus they are heavy and hard to slide open.

My grandkids couldnt open it when i unlocked it. I had them try just to see. One was 5 the other was 2 and neither could budge it.

Of course I left it locked unless I was right there.

The railing will depend on what type of verandah you have.

What to watch for would be chairs that could be slide over to the railing.

There are chairs on the balconies,

But like i said, 2 very secure locks and a heavy door works great.

Disney is made for kids, they know people would worry about such things so they made them hard to open.

I wouldnt hesitate a minute to have a balcony with a toddler after hvign them several times now.

Just keep it locked, plus there is a heavy curtain you can pull across to distract them from even knowing there is a door there.

• 2 weeks later...

The Category 6 rooms are wonderful! At the time we sailed in 2007 I had 3 and 5 YO boys and found that the balcony was not an issue. The doors are heavy and the locks were out of reach. You'll find it nice to sit out there if your 5 Yo falls asleep. I loved being on the balcony as we were pulling into Castaway Cay. Beautiful!

I hear your concerns. We have been crusing for years and have 3 1/2 year old boy/girl twins and an 8 year old. I was a nervous nelly with the balcony. But I can assure you, you will be just fine.

The kids can no way open the balcony when the door is locked. To be honest, I could barely open it! And when you are out there, you will be with them the whole time. You will never leave them out there unattended so they will be fine.

The height is tall enough, it is solid so they can't slip through. It is designed with kids in mind.

If it worries you, you can request the stateroom attendant to remove any furniture before you set sail (tables, chairs, etc) and they will happily accommodate. They want you just as safe. You will love the balconies when you are in port. That is when we enjoyed them the most. Or when our little ones were asleep, me and DH would sit out there and have quiet time. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

oh you must be so lucky to had the upgrade to Cat 6...

I went to PC Disney cruise with Cat 6 as it was best ever...

I understand you worry about kid, but the door have lock so make sure lock it..

but my kids was 8 and 10 and they loved it and best time to watch the Panama Canal... as it was so awesome...

I wish to book balcony for this year but cannot afford it...

Scottishwee35

Archived