Need Portland Help

jesusfreak7

:rolleyes: Port time: 9:00 - 6:00

We'd like to get off the ship, walk around in old port, grab some lunch, then do the discovery tour (trolley) at 1:00. Discovery tours had a 9:00 but we thought that might be too soon-- not knowing how long it would take to get off the ship. We'd so like to go to the Victorian mansion, will this be possible? The discovery tour is only 1.5 hrs, so we should have plenty of time. Does anyone know how long this tour will stop at the Portland lighthouse? What about the ducks? Anyone been on the 'ducks' in Portland? We've got plenty of time in Portland, so we'd like to do as much as possible. Thanks for your help!!

I think you will have lots of time to do everything you want to do. We did most of what you want to do while we were there. We also walked all the way to LL Bean and were quite unimpressed. The lighthouse boat tour was wonderful, and there are lots of great places to eat within walking distance.

That's interesting about LL Bean!!

On the lighthouse boat tour, do you see more than one lighthouse? We scheduled the trolley tour for 11:15, it's 90 minutes, I'm just wondering if we should scheduled it earlier or later, instead of right in the middle of the day. Any suggestions? Anyone taken the metro around town?

We booked at Portland Discovery Tours (http://www.portlanddiscovery.com) a place right near the ship and they offered a combo trolly/boat tour, may want to check into that. We decided to walk around town then do just the boat portion, we saw many many beautiful lighthouses.

That's where we booked - but just for the trolley portion. I'll check into the combo tour - sounds like fun.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you take the 9:30 am trolley tour. Was there enough time to meet the tour considering that the ship docks at 9:00 am. ??

Yes, we took the 9:30 am tour. I went back and checked my notes - we were on Grandeur out of Baltimore and our port times for Portland were 8 am to 7 pm so we even had time to walk around a bit before the tour.

Yes, we took the 9:30 am tour. I went back and checked my notes - we were on Grandeur out of Baltimore and our port times for Portland were 8 am to 7 pm so we even had time to walk around a bit before the tour.

Our ship docks at 9:00 am though. That only gives us 1/2 hr. to get off the ship and to the trolley. Is that enough time. :confused:

Our ship docks at 9:00 am though. That only gives us 1/2 hr. to get off the ship and to the trolley. Is that enough time. :confused:

Thirty minutes is more than enough time to walk from the ship to the trolley, but - I looked back at the email confirmation from Portland Discovery Tours. You had to pay for the tour by 9 am - that would be a problem. :(

Thirty minutes is more than enough time to walk from the ship to the trolley, but - I looked back at the email confirmation from Portland Discovery Tours. You had to pay for the tour by 9 am - that would be a problem. :(

I'm going to check to see if we can pre-pay for our tickets. Thanks.

Since you will be there till 6:00 I wouldn't want the stress of wondering if I would be off in time. Personally I would rather do the 11:30. Have a relaxing breakfast and not be with the anxious people who want to be the firsts off the ship, but that is just me.

Also if you book the 11:30 and find you are ready to get off the ship early, you might be able to just change your reservation in person. I would think the earlier tour would not be as crowded as the 11:30 one.

Depending on what time of the year, it might be warmer and more enjoyable later in the day for the trolley tour.

Also if you book the 11:30 and find you are ready to get off the ship early, you might be able to just change your reservation in person.

I contacted Discovery and I could not pre-pay. They suggested what you recommended. :D

Here is their reply:

Unless the ship is early it’s probably not possible to catch the 9:30 as tickets that are reserved have to be picked up 30 minutes prior to the departure because we don’t accept advance payment. I would recommend you make a reservation for 11:15 but come down to our ticket office as soon as you disembark as we may have tours leaving earlier. On cruise ship days we add extra tours based on demand.

I contacted Discovery and I could not pre-pay. They suggested what you recommended. :D

Here is their reply:

Unless the ship is early it’s probably not possible to catch the 9:30 as tickets that are reserved have to be picked up 30 minutes prior to the departure because we don’t accept advance payment. I would recommend you make a reservation for 11:15 but come down to our ticket office as soon as you disembark as we may have tours leaving earlier. On cruise ship days we add extra tours based on demand.

That is the best of both worlds. You can sit back and relax on your trip knowing you have a spot and if things work out you can take an ealier tour. It is a nice area to walk around in too, if you need to kill some time.

What I remember about our day was how relaxing it was, thats why I say take your time getting off the ship and enjoy.

• 1 month later...

My DH and I will be on the Jewel (RCI) arriving on a Sunday, 10/10/2010. I wonder if the company runs on a Sunday. Anyone know?? I have sent an email and am waiting to hear back. Hope it won't be too cold to do the sea portion. We will be in port from 7 am till 7 pm.

• 1 month later...

Basically, you'll get off of the ship, turn left and walk about 2 blocks to be in the Old Port Area. You may want to look into excursions or tours from the ship that will take you beyond Portland, or some private operators like the Trolley Tour or a Harbor or Lighthouse Tour .Casco Bay Ferries are right next to your pier and have some excursions. There are other harbor tours on the waterfront and there's also a Duck Tour. Last year there were shuttles from the pier to the Maine Mall (it's a mall...!). Here's a website on downtown Portland and the Old Port - might help!

http://www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=5

(Lots of good seafood restaurants and 2 good Irish restaurants - RiRa's which is part of a chain & Bull Feeney's which is a long-established local pub/restaurant)

Hi Guys;

We will be with Celebrity Summit in Portland on July 20th from 8:00-6:00. Do you know if the ship time is the same than Portland time?

Is Portland time the same than New York time or one hour ahead?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Archived