Can you eat in a sit down restaurant on day of embarkation

lesleyfb

We are due to go on the Oriana shortly and would like to know if you are lucky enough to get onboard about lunchtime whether you can go to one of the sit down restaurants to eat. We did this on NCL at Barcelona and had a fantastic lunch which we much preferred to the buffet. Any idea?

All ships that I have experience of are buffet only on embarkation day.

I would imagine it is for 2 reasons.

1. The ship's crew are very busy preparing for new guests.

2. A fair proportion of the ship's company will be ashore.

Gerry

We are due to go on the Oriana shortly and would like to know if you are lucky enough to get onboard about lunchtime whether you can go to one of the sit down restaurants to eat. We did this on NCL at Barcelona and had a fantastic lunch which we much preferred to the buffet. Any idea?

what is a sit down resturant. the cruises i've been on have a buffet (you sit down there to eat) or the mdr (you always sit down here to eat.) where would eat where you don't sit down???????????????????

from my experience, i would have thought it would depend where you are sailing from, presumabley southampton? where everyone embarks/disembarks on the same day, we have never embarked before 2ish, from what i recall,and the restaurants wuld be closed,

but if embarking in Barbados or wherever there are 2 changeover days, then everything runs as normal, but having said that, the actual restauarnts are only open 12-1.45, and its unlikely that on a long flight that you wuld be onboard at this time anyway. hope this helps.

what is a sit down resturant. the cruises i've been on have a buffet (you sit down there to eat) or the mdr (you always sit down here to eat.) where would eat where you don't sit down???????????????????

In the UK it is known that if we say "Sit Down" restaurant then we think of this as say silver service or waited upon. If you say "Buffet" then yes you also sit down but is known here as Buffet.

In the UK it is known that if we say "Sit Down" restaurant then we think of this as say silver service or waited upon. If you say "Buffet" then yes you also sit down but is known here as Buffet.

would you call the main dining room a resturant. it has silver as you say. in the us we know a resturant as a place you go, sit down, order your food and pay before you leave. on some cruises they have speciality resturants. these are totally different than the MDR. this is what confuses me.

I suppose it means "sit down to be served" never really thought about it until now!

What happens to the people that are on back to back cruises? Does that mean they have to use the buffet on days of embarkation?

A good question, yes the cruisers on a back to back are invited to dine in the main (sit down:rolleyes:) restaurant. Away from the chaos of new boarding passengers and turn-around. But that would only need a few waiting staff. As Gerry says all other boarding new passengers are directed to the ss buffet restaurant. Many waiters are on day leave on Southampton docking day....

All ships that I have experience of are buffet only on embarkation day.

I would imagine it is for 2 reasons.

1. The ship's crew are very busy preparing for new guests.

2. A fair proportion of the ship's company will be ashore.

Gerry

What you say is true, But have you been on Celebrity they seem to

manage to open there restaurant.

Gerry has been on Celebrity, look forward to his reply.

I presume as previously mentioned, the reason the main restaurant is not open to boarding passengers on embarkation day is because of the lack of staff. Southampton being the home port, a lot are on a day off....I've followed groups of the waiters and stewards heading for the staff buses into Southampton when leaving the ship, all excited to be doing some shopping.

Now I am really confused. Excited is not a term I would use in association with shopping.

:confused:

Aha...but...if you were an Indian/Goan seaman faced with the glory that is Primark, or if really lucky on a Sunday, the ''Burseldon Car Boot Sale'' you would be all a quiver!!

What you say is true, But have you been on Celebrity they seem to

manage to open there restaurant.

Dan, i have been on Solstice and Summit. Both only had the ss restaurant open on embarkation days.

Cheers

Gerry

Aha...but...if you were an Indian/Goan seaman faced with the glory that is Primark, or if really lucky on a Sunday, the ''Burseldon Car Boot Sale'' you would be all a quiver!!

................and a few boxes of beer have been seen being carried back onboard with cheeky grins.....

................and a few boxes of beer have been seen being carried back onboard with cheeky grins.....

Or perhaps a lady with boxes of wine...

Sorry, I couldn't resist that, but you would be disappointed if I didn't take the bait.

:)

If you are doing a B2B then a restaurant is open for you, you may find that there are a number of others there including officers families and those being shown round the ship, staff from TA's etc.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

If you are doing a B2B then a restaurant is open for you, you may find that there are a number of others there including officers families and those being shown round the ship, staff from TA's etc.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Have you noticed how the visitors get treated. i.e. special tables set aside, areas roped off in the restaurant. Then they walk around the pool

deck in there full winter clothes, looking at you in your swim ware as if your mad, with the temperature being only 60c.

Then were told no visitor's are allowed, and sorry the restaurant is closed.

Happy Cruising

Dan, i have been on Solstice and Summit. Both only had the ss restaurant open on embarkation days.

Cheers

Gerry[/quot

This could now be the case as i haven't been on celebrity for same year's

now. I'm going back to when ship's were run for the passengers.You know

the good old days.

I know for a fact that crew families get to look round, wouldn't it be fantastic to show your family round before you sail, not a ''royal visit'' just a look at your cabin & a bite to eat.

I remember doing that when my uncle emigrated to Australia many years ago. We had many thoughts of stowing away, would have been easy!

I know for a fact that crew families get to look round, wouldn't it be fantastic to show your family round before you sail, not a ''royal visit'' just a look at your cabin & a bite to eat.

I sailed on Princess last year, so hang around their boards quite a lot. They have just introduced a new scheme where friends / family etc can board on embarkation day (for a $39 fee), have a meal and a look around etc. Perhaps if successful this might also be extended to P&O as they are a sister company?

Also, Princess have a main dining room open (i.e non buffet) on embarkation day and there is a bit of debate as to whether it is open to all or just those on B2Bs. The general consensus is that if you go in anyway, whether you are on a B2B or not, they are not going to create a fuss and you will get served. It is not widely advertised, though, so it is mainly CC-ers that use it, as well as the B2B-ers of course ;)

Archived