cuban cigars

MamaParrotHead

Your DH can feel free to enjoy one on the island or take it back onto the ship and smoke it there, as long as he doesn't try to take it back into the US.

They are available in MANY locations on St. Maarten, including several right on Front Street.

Some cruise ships offer in their shopping guides a cheap or even free Cuban in their specified shop, but you'll find them advertised in many places on island. I don't smoke them, but I have been told that you definitely get what you pay for.

My husband enjoys purchasing a few cuban cigars to smoke on the ship throughout the cruise. He really enjoys sitting on the balcony and smoking his cigars while enjoying the view.

It will be our first time in St Maarten this year, so unfortunately I cannot comment on where to purchase them.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there in October and my husband bought about 6 cigars. He smoked 2 on the ship but brought 4 back into the US. We took the rings off of them and on our customs things we said we had tobacco but they didn't say anything. Just be careful...

He got them at this cigar place on front street. I don't remember the name of it. It was 2 story and the cubans were upstairs. I think they were about $7 each.

I hope this helps!

I have a friend that I bring back one Cuban cigar for after each cruise. I've never done anything special to hide it and no one has ever looked and found it so I suppose I am lucky.

I know of others that have taken the bands off of them and brought back whole boxes of them. Still others where DH carries the cigars without the bands and DW has the bands to put back on when they get home.

What I have NOT heard of is anyone getting in trouble although that sure is a possibility unless you're Canadian? I think they can take a limited number back and its ok. Somebody correct me if thats wrong please.

I can bring my Cubans back. Never had a problem before since we always flew from some island back to Toronto. This time I have to fly back from Ft. Lauderdale. I don't know if they are ok in my suitcase since they are only passing through the USA and will be for consumption in Canada. Anyone know? I'd hate to drop a bundle on them to find some U.S. customs guy is going to rain on my parade.

yep us canucks can bring back 50, count em 50 cigars. So he can and she can. that's a hundred woo hoo, unless there two he's and no she's or two she's and no he's.

I know they're legal in Canada, but they're not legal to transit the US. I suspect it's difficult to get from a Caribbean cruise back to Canada without passing through the US.

I've never done anything special to hide it and no one has ever looked and found it so I suppose I am lucky.

Hide it, display it, or declare it, but it's still smuggling contraband material into the US. There's probably a very small chance of getting caught, BUT IF YOU DO GET CAUGHT your life will be pretty miserable for a long time. As a minimum here are some things you will face:

- You won't be allowed into the US until you satisfy the Customs folks.

- You will likely miss your connecting flight.

- You may get jail time and share a room with Bubba

- You will have to pay the penalty in cash before being allowed to enter the US (lots of cash).

- Your name will forever be on a data base of smugglers. This means a detailed search every time you leave or enter the US. Have you ever enjoyed a body cavity search??

NOTE - When they do a body cavity search you can ask them if they found Amelia Erheart in there.:)

- Your buddy will get bent out of shape for not getting the stogie.

Hide it, display it, or declare it, but it's still smuggling contraband material into the US. There's probably a very small chance of getting caught, BUT IF YOU DO GET CAUGHT your life will be pretty miserable for a long time. As a minimum here are some things you will face:

- You won't be allowed into the US until you satisfy the Customs folks.

- You will likely miss your connecting flight.

- You may get jail time and share a room with Bubba

- You will have to pay the penalty in cash before being allowed to enter the US (lots of cash).

- Your name will forever be on a data base of smugglers. This means a detailed search every time you leave or enter the US. Have you ever enjoyed a body cavity search??

NOTE - When they do a body cavity search you can ask them if they found Amelia Erheart in there.:)

- Your buddy will get bent out of shape for not getting the stogie.

Dang, and I think cigars are nasty! To heck with my friend!

Can you purchase cigars and mail them to a "friend" in the U.S. from a port such as St. Lucia? Has anyone succesfully done that before? Do they ask any questions at the foriegn post office? Will they help you package them, etc?

Let me see if I understand this. You want to send goods to the US to avoid customs? And the goods are prohibited from entering the US? And the sender of prohibited goods is YOU? And how would you mark the package for contents? Or maybe you want the merchant to be a co-conspirator?

Even if you could send the goods, which you can't, you'd probably be better off just doing the smuggling thing.

Let me see if I understand this. You want to send goods to the US to avoid customs? And the goods are prohibited from entering the US? And the sender of prohibited goods is YOU? And how would you mark the package for contents? Or maybe you want the merchant to be a co-conspirator?

Even if you could send the goods, which you can't, you'd probably be better off just doing the smuggling thing.

Thanks for the response/warning. Any chance you're a U.S. Customs agent?

Who knows! To prove it I have a secret decoder ring only issued to the top professionals in the field. Pass that ring over any package and BAM, you're doing time with cell mate Bubba.

Oh BTW, you can tell special agents by the last 3 digits in the ID number. :)

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: Every place that I saw Cuban cigars they started at $7-8 and went up into $25 or more. I don't think that they are worth it and there are other great cigars to enjoy. There are very few places on any of the ships that let you smoke cigars.

Archived