Any beaches near Katakolon?

ShipOFools

I think Olympia is too good to miss, really. The site and scenery are stunning.

There IS a beach at Katokolon, we saw quite a few people (not from ship) going there when we took the train, they were using the next station after Katakolon. Couldn't see it closely enough to say what it's like.

kate

I think Olympia is too good to miss, really. The site and scenery are stunning.

There IS a beach at Katokolon, we saw quite a few people (not from ship) going there when we took the train, they were using the next station after Katakolon. Couldn't see it closely enough to say what it's like.

kate

Sorry, I guess in need to clarify, train will be used if we only go to Olympia. Car rental will be used if we do BOTH- providing the beach is in the same proximity and not the one in Katakolon.

Sorry, I guess in need to clarify, train will be used if we only go to Olympia. Car rental will be used if we do BOTH- providing the beach is in the same proximity and not the one in Katakolon.

Be sure to check the train times. We didn't get to use the train because it did not work with our docking times. :(

I loved Olympia. DD who is 9 really enjoyed it. DD has been reading the Percy Jackson books and has fallen in love with Greek Mythology.She was halfway through book one before we left on the trip. She wiped it out and the next two books before we finished our 11 day cruise! (Day 9 she finished them) It made Greece much more appealing to her! Beaches were not an option for us since we were there in February. :)

Edited by RoadTripFanatic

• 2 weeks later...

The beach in Katakolon is approx 5 min walk from the ship. Turn left as you exit the tiny dock and continue to walk past a few houses along a lane and you will be there. It's not the greatest of beaches (a bit gritty) but fine if you want a quick swim and a rest on a hot day.

If its very hot, Olympia can be a bit of a struggle esp. with small children. We have been several times and each time the heat was exceptional. Younger children may not find it of interest and may not appreciate the history behind it of course.

Princess actually offers an excursion to Olympia and then Kourouta Beach. If you did not want to do the ship's excursion you could always rent a car and do the drive on your own. Just use google for directions :)

From my link above: http://www.travelsingreece.com/trips/katakolon/

Reneta Beach

If you only have a short amount of time in Katakolon and you want a beach that is as close as possible to the port, then Reneta (also known as Plakes) Beach is just for you. Simply walk to the end of the pier, and head off to the left hand side of the parking lot. Just on the other side of the port wall is Renata beach, a small pebbly beach with a subdued beach bar and a few palm like umbrellas. The beach is nothing special, and if you are on a big ship it does not take many people to get full, but the waters are nice, and importantly seem to never have jellyfish unlike the beach at Katakolo. The hows and whats of jellyfish migration and why they show up in one spot and not another has been the subject of many a discussion, if anybody has a definitive answer please send us a mail! In the meantime, while Renata beach is a good enough option for a short visit, if you have anything more than a couple of hours, I would suggest the beach at Agios Andreas as your best bet by far.

Agios Andreas Beach

Literally a 5 minute drive from Katakolon is Agios Andreas, a microscopic village with a couple a small cafe/bar and two restaurants above a wonderful little beach. If you are driving yourself head straight out of Katakolon (there is only one road), take the first left you see of any consequence opposite the last of the shops of Katakolon and head up the hill. You will hit what looks like a T junction after a minute or two, turn left and a hundred meters down on your right is the Kastro (Το Κάστρο), a relaxed café from 10am to sunset and the hip place to be from sunset and beyond for the sophisticated Pirgos crowd.

The Kastro has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, it has nice green grass that the kids can play on and of course it has its own little beach where a coffee or a drink will also get you a lounger and an umbrella. Don’t like loungers and umbrellas? Well then feel free to head a little bit further down the beach and plop yourself under the rock overhangs or small bushes that line the sand. An outdoor shower is available and the prices for coffees, drinks and snacks are reasonable. All in all this is the place I would recommend to anyone wanting to pass a day of relaxing, swimming and doing not a lot of anything at all. The restaurant at Liris, about 50 meters past the Kastro also has a small beach under it, and is rightly known for its lovely mixed dishes served with beer or ouzo. Liris could be considered a slightly more sophisticated version of the Kastro, but both allow bathing suits and bare feet, so pick whichever suits best.

If you don’t want to rent a bike to get there then grab a taxi (but don’t pay the 50 euros I have heard mentioned in some conversations!). The truth is that any fit person could walk from Katakolo to Agios Andreas in about 30 minutes or so. There is also a bus from Katakolon to Agios Andreas which leaves from the bus stop opposite the kiosk at the end of the pier and drops you off pretty much at the entrance to the Kastro.

The summer 2009 Katakolon – Agios Andreas bus timetable looks like this:

Katakolon to Agios Andreas at 13:00, 14:30, 15:45, 17:15 and 19:00;

Agios Andreas to Katakolon at 13:15, 14:45, 16:00, 17:30 and 19:15.

• 4 years later...

Beware!

Our Family went to Agios Andreas Beach in the Summer of 2014.

There is a strong rip current here where the waves take you out to sea.

I am a strong swimmer and nearly drowned - saved by fellow travelers and a life ring on a rope.