Passports in Nassau

ladyvee

We will be cruising for the first time this spring to the Bahamas. Will the children need to carry identification with them? Would we have any problems using our drivers licenses, or will we need passports?

I love this board! The tips and comments are so helpful and fun to read.

Thanks!!

Posters to these boards, in general, will indicate that passports have some advantanges.

I can tell you from personal experience, that I have been glad to have mine on a few trips. Passports for all in party will expedite your processing through customs, however a BC and picture ID will "work" in the Bahamas.

If you can justify the cost of the passport, they are a good investment.

The only time a passport is required is if you fly into or out of the Bahamas. Everyone needs a certified birth certificate, one with a state seal, and if your children are over 16, they will need some sort of photo ID. With that you will need a driver's license. A passport is the best because you breeze right through Customs and Immigration. But, if you don't have passports, you most definitely need the certified birth certificates along with the photo ID. They will ask for the birth certificates when you check in at the dock, and you will need the photo ID, for some cruise lines, when you want to get back on the ship after a stop in port.

Kind of off point but: we took our passports with us off the ship and then washed them on the ship when we got back. They fall apart and I was a bit nervous coming back into the country with shredded passports. So, be careful!

Archived