Mazatlan Beaching

moondoggie

I like the beaches around the El Cid resort. It is a little far from the ship but nice beach. The taxi ride is about 25 to 30 minutes and the cost around 10-12 dollars per taxi, one way. If there is too much activity there, just keep walking and I am sure you will find a quiet area. By the way, all the beaches are public, so you can go to anyone you like. Have a great day at the beach in Mazatlan!

Mazatlan Frank

Hey moondoggie -

We just got back a couple of weeks ago, and spent the day at the beach in front of the El Cid in Mazatlan. You can just take a taxi to the hotel, and walk through the hotel out to the beach. There is no charge, but they will ask if you want to hear about their time share - just say no and they will leave you alone. We used their restrooms to change into our swimsuits, but other than that we didn't use their facilities. The only problem we had was that the people staying in the hotel get first dibs on the lounge chairs, so we got bumped after being there all morning when a couple from the hotel complained that we were on 'their chairs'. Annoying, but I guess that is fair. If you just walk down the beach and find a quiet spot you wouldn't have to worry about that anyway.

Have a great time - the weather and water was perfect when we were there, except for a couple of jellyfish that found my son! :)

We got a taxi ride to Hotel Playa Mazatlan, it's closer than El Cid and across from "deer island". We liked the beach so much, we went back for an extended stay 6 months later. When we stayed there, I saw someone cleaning and raking the beach fronting the hotel every morning. Plus if you get hungry, their resturant is open air, overlooks the beach and the food is great.

Enjoy:cool:

Is Playa Olas Altas any good?

We're taking a tour of the city which does not include a beach break, but we may stray from the group before the tour ends and hit the beach instead of being taken back to the dock. (I figured this beach is closest to the dock and area where we'll be touring)

Is Playa Olas Altas any good?

We're taking a tour of the city which does not include a beach break, but we may stray from the group before the tour ends and hit the beach instead of being taken back to the dock. (I figured this beach is closest to the dock and area where we'll be touring)

Uh oh, I think we've missed ya by 2 days, but maybe you're checking the net on board. Yes Olas Altas isn't far from the dock, but it isn't much of a beach, here's a link showing it, flip to page 2:

http://www.mexicoportreviews.com/Mazatlan.htm

But it's also close to the bars :-)

-Bob

Thanks for the recommendation. Will we need to pay a fee to El Cid to use their facilities?

Two years ago we cruised on the Carnival Elation. When arriving at Mazatlan (we'd been there before), the vendors and tour operators compete for your business. There was someone there trying to get people to tour the El Cid Castilla for a timemshare presentation...I HATE those things...however, they said we could use all the hotel's facilities free and even offered us free drinks and food. I explained to the young lady that I get very irritated when I say NO and these people persist. She assured me it was "no hassle" and my wife and kids wanted to go somewhere by the beach and relax...reluctantly I gave in (they provided free transportation to the place), and after there tour and minor sales pitch, I said, "No thank you" and to my surprise, they didn't persist. I've never been to a timeshare presentation where they didn't try harder and where they didn't get on my nerves. We then went to their beautiful pool area with rocks and waterfalls, had drinks, food and layed out all day for FREE.

Thanks for the recommendation. Will we need to pay a fee to El Cid to use their facilities?

Two years ago we cruised on the Carnival Elation. When arriving at Mazatlan (we'd been there before), the vendors and tour operators compete for your business. There was someone there trying to get people to tour the El Cid Castilla for a timemshare presentation...I HATE those things...however, they said we could use all the hotel's facilities free and even offered us free drinks and food. I explained to the young lady that I get very irritated when I say NO and these people persist. She assured me it was "no hassle" and my wife and kids wanted to go somewhere by the beach and relax...reluctantly I gave in (they provided free transportation to the place), and after their tour and minor sales pitch, I said, "No thank you" and to my surprise, they didn't persist. I've never been to a timeshare presentation where they didn't try harder and where they didn't get on my nerves. We then went to their beautiful pool area with rocks and waterfalls, had drinks, food and layed out all day for FREE.

Newbiecruiser: There are more hotels than El Cid. If you walk down the beach there's one that is kind of orange in color. The Hotel Costa de Oro. They invite anyone and everyone to sit and have a drink or lunch. The have a pool and it is only steps away from the ocean. You can sit on any lounger you want to.

Archived