RCCL vs NCL pros and cons?

We've sailed on NCL twice in the past 5 years, once in the Owner's Suite (Sun) and once in a Penthouse Suite (Jewel). The of service was great (although we were in the suite+ level, so can't speak for regular cabins). Food in the specialty restaurants was great, but I will agree that the service in the MDR's was lacking, so we chose to eat in the specialty restaurants, or order room service (which for suite level on NCL means we could order from any menu on the ship, including the specialty rest.) I didn't feel "nickeled & dimed" on NCL, and I liked that gratuities were automatically calculated, so there was never that awkward envelope thing. We travel with kids, so Freestyle dinning worked great for us. There also seem to be more suite perks on NCL.

Some of things I didn't like about NCL and I am hoping are better on our RC cruise in April - not a huge variety of things to do on sea days on NCL. Most ships don't have things like ice skating rinks, flow riders, mini golf etc. Not a lot of on-board shopping on NCL (not that I necessarily want to buy anything, but I like to browse). The NCL ships are smaller and there's less of a "wow" factor.

Again, I liked NCL perfectly well, and would sail them again - I just looking to see what else is out there :)

Like both cruise lines. Each offers something over the other but in the end, I choose RCI due to the ships, service and entertainment.

NCL blows RCI out of the water with suite amenities. I actually like the Freestyle concept of dining with all of the choices offered for dining on NCL. This is one reason that I love the Oasis. Plenty of choices over the standard dining room.

I've been on both and like them both.

The suite life on NCL is fabulous....and that's the only way I'd sail them again (we're booked for Oct).

On Royal Caribbean I'm happy in a balcony.

Entertainment is better on NCL (with the exception of Oasis;)). Even there, I believe NCL's Cirque-like show is slightly better than "come fly with me."

Food in MDR and buffets are better on Royal. Specialty restaurants are a toss up.

I have never sailed with NCL but I do know there are entertainment personnel currently with RCCL trying despretely to get on Epic! They say NCL treats entertainers the best, and has the highest rates of pay. Of course, the cruise lines treat their customers totally differently than they do their crew so take that with a grain of salt. It probably doesn't trickle down to the guest experience.

Interesting because the production shows on NCL have been far superior to those on Royal Caribbean in my experience.

Archived