Just booked - Destiny - keeping in touch?

Hello there - we have just booked the Destiny (Caribbean) for next week. I`ve a couple of questions so if you could help I`d be very grateful.

How do you manage to keep in touch with home? Can you buy phone cards in the ports and is the internet on board reasonably priced to use.

Do Thomson have an emergency contact number. My Dad hasn`t been too good lately and although family say we should do this trip - you know how it is.

Is there a laundry room and are irons available?

What currency do we need - I`m guessing US$ and some euros as we are going to Martinque.

And finally are the hairdryers any good! Should I bring my own.

Hello there - we have just booked the Destiny (Caribbean) for next week. I`ve a couple of questions so if you could help I`d be very grateful.

How do you manage to keep in touch with home? Can you buy phone cards in the ports and is the internet on board reasonably priced to use.

Do Thomson have an emergency contact number. My Dad hasn`t been too good lately and although family say we should do this trip - you know how it is.

What currency do we need - I`m guessing US$ and some euros as we are going to Martinque. And finally are the hairdryers any good! Should I bring my own.

Hello :) I'll do my best to answer those questions I can.

The cheapest way to keep in touch with home is to use your own mobile when in port. You may have to check you have a 'roving' type arrangement though - it depends a bit on networks and where you are going. Altho' we both use the same network pay-as-you-go for some reason we've had situations where one of our mobiles works and the other doesn't. Check out your provider and try to make sure you're registered for the region you're travelling in before you go.

At sea, you probably won't pick up a signal on your own network - it depends on how close you are to land. You can use the ship's mobile network though - prices will be different to your own network but will be detailed in the info in your cabin.

You can phone home at any time using your cabin phone and the ship's satellite connection - details are in your cabin along with costs but they do point out this is an expensive way of phoning home. (I think it's about £3 per minute but if you are anxious to keep in touch it could be worth a quick call to make sure all is well.)

The ship can also be contacted by your family directly via satellite link. (Again expensive - quoted at 7.95$ per minute)

In emergencies, family can also ring the Thomson Duty Office 00 44 (0)1582 644100 and ask for a 'phone home' message to be passed on to you. (I think that number is still correct - it's the same whichever ship you're on).

The numbers (and all the details regarding phone contact) are in your ticket booklet but as you have booked late, I guess you won't pick up your tickets until you get to the airport. Look carefully in there it should have everything you need to know and you may wish to let your family know the numbers before you leave the UK. I have an old ticket booklet (where I'm getting this info for you) but hestitate to give you the numbers as these weren't for the Destiny and even if they were, they may have changed. Perhaps someone who has recently come back from Destiny may be able to give you the up-to-date numbers.

There is 24 hour internet access available on board but I'm not sure of the costs - I'm sure someone will be able to help with this.

It also says in the ticket booklet that phone boxes and internet cafes are available at most ports and phone cards can be purchased from nearby shops.

Destiny doesn't have DiY laundries or irons available although there is a laundry/ironing service available (payable) but don't worry too much about creases - everyone else has crammed their suitcases too :eek: !

Yes, US$ acceptable everywhere - try to take some lower denominations and ask for change in US$ so you don't end up with local currency which is no good on the next island. Euros rule in Guadeloupe so I imagine the other French island (Martinque) will also insist on Euros too.

Hairdriers are not very powerful - I managed ok but if you have thick or long hair you may be advised to take your own.

Have a good trip - and I hope your Dad keeps ok. :)

What currency do we need - I`m guessing US$ and some euros as we are going to Martinque.

And finally are the hairdryers any good! Should I bring my own.

just to let you know you can buy phone cards at the docks and they are great...

Hi

Just arrived yesterday from the Thomson Destiny.

The internet is £1 per downloaded page, having said that I used it to just update my Facebook and it was never more than £1 (much less) in a nutshell its not expensive!

I forgot to take Euros with me, I could have changed some $$ into Euros on the ship but also forgot, remembered when I was hungry about 5 miles away from the ship, ended up using my credit card! So do take Euro's for Martinique it makes life much easier!

I took my hairdresser (I wish, I meant hairdryer) and it did not work properly (not enough power), I didnt use theirs.

Enjoy your cruise

Archived