? about Musica food service

Poconolady

I keep hearing about ala carte restaurants and having to pay for food at times other than meals served in the main restaurants and the cafeteria. What are the prices, what are the selections and where are these items offered?I understand that there is a Sushi restaurant, but is there a steakhouse type of place that is additional charge? We are considering the Musica in the Med, but I'm having trouble getting an actual feel for what is and is not included. I understand that there are charges for room service, other than rolls and cofee, etc at breakfast. What items are available at other times and how much do they cost?

Beverages in the cafeteria-- during the day is coffee and tea available all of the time, or strictly during breakfast and lunch hours? I know that coffee and tea are not included in the price of dining room lunch and dinner--but is it available for a fee, billed like cocktails/wine, etc?

Are there any "not to be missed" food items that the chefs excell at?

What about the pizza service at suppertime-is this available every night, slices only, cost, anything else served with it like salad, etc. ? Can you take this to your room to eat on the balcony?

Thanks in advance for any info that you can pass along.

I've provided answers below to the questions that I'm able to answer. Please note that my answers are based on my personal experience of other MSC ships, particularly The Med ones that I've been on. Any specific answers regarding the ship itself are based on research and the Bertlitz cruise guide.

I see that your questions are all about food and drink times and whats free or not. You'll see from my answers below that there will be many differences in the "whats" of fodd and drink compared to US cruiselines or restaurants, but there are also a lot of "how" differences too. the Italian customs towards eating and drinking are also different to US ones. They take much longer at meals, they prefer MDR to buffet, dinner is part of the evening entertainment, rather than a 45-60 minute activity squeezed in between other activities. On a Med crusie with MSC they are catering for Italians primarily. US and other English pseaking nationalities are in the minority. If yu are happy to try something different from what you are used to and go along with European ways and fodd/drink onboard as well as ashore, you may enjoy MSC. If this really doesn't appeal to you, then I'd suggest sticking with a US cruiseline where you'll get what you like and are used to.

I keep hearing about ala carte restaurants and having to pay for food at times other than meals served in the main restaurants and the cafeteria. What are the prices, what are the selections and where are these items offered?I understand that there is a Sushi restaurant, but is there a steakhouse type of place that is additional charge?

The alternative dining options (speciality retsaurants) are

Il Giardino a la carte restaurant. This is part of Gli Archi cafeteria by day and a speciality restaurant at night serving refined Italian food

Kaito Sushi bar serving wide selection of sushi items and hot and cold sake either table or counter service

Enoteca {wine bar) - serves regional (Italian) speciality cheeses, cold meat (and of course wine) in a relaxing bistro style atmosphere.

No steakhouses, in fact I'd strongly recommend avoiding steaks on both MSC and Italy generally. Steak as it is served in the US is not really something done by Italians, so you are likely to be dissappointed.

generally speaking the times food will be available without extra charge on European sailings are usually (although may vary by half an hour os so depending on itinerary/port times)

breakfast 6.30-10.00am buffet, main dining room or limited continental room service. Please note that the MDR usually has slightly shorter opening hours than the buffet.

Lunch 12.30-2.00 buffet or MDR. Sometimes the grill and pizza bar will be open through to about 4.00 but not on all ships.

Afternoon Tea 4-5 (small sandwiches, biscuits(cookies) small cakes and/or pastries

Dinner -MDR only. first sitting start time ranges from 6.15pm to 6.45pm; second 8.45pm to 9.15pm.

Midnight buffet or snacks - They only now tend to do one Midnight buffet on a typical 7 day itinerary (The Magnifique one), which will strt either just before midnight or just after. Other nights a different type of snack will be served in lounges or designated areas from about 11.30pm onwards.

So main "gaps in food are, if you choose 1st dinner

11.00am-12.30pm; 2-4pm; 5-6.30pm; 8.30-11.30pm. 12.30am-6.30am For second sitting - 11.00am-12.30pm; 2-4pm; 5-8.45pm; 10.30-11.30pm. and tfrom 12.30am-6.30am

Apart from 10am-12.00 midday and throughout the night, these "gaps" can be plugged by the extra cost speciality restaurants. (Sorry don't have info on proces)

The only thing available 24 hours is room service which is limited to things like soup, sandwiches, salads, fruit, and a few desserts, It is really for a snack between meals ratehr than a substitute for a meal. The MSC Club sandwich served with potato chips was around 3.50-5 Euros (sorry can't remeber the exact cost)

We are considering the Musica in the Med, but I'm having trouble getting an actual feel for what is and is not included. I understand that there are charges for room service, other than rolls and cofee, etc at breakfast. What items are available at other times and how much do they cost?

Beverages in the cafeteria-- during the day is coffee and tea available all of the time, or strictly during breakfast and lunch hours? I know that coffee and tea are not included in the price of dining room lunch and dinner--but is it available for a fee, billed like cocktails/wine, etc?

From my experience tea & coffee is only provided at breakfast (you can alos get juice) and aftnernoon tea. I haven't had lunch at the buffet for a long time so no idea whether they serve it there now or not. generally speaking tea and coffee are not offered in the MDR at lunch or dinner at all (neither free nor paid for)the Italian passengers seem to like to go to a coffee shop or bar after their meals and order coffee there (mainly espresso). they have a wide range of teas and Italian coffees (hot & cold) wich range from 1-3 euros; liquer ones are more expensiv but they will have a daily special 4.70 euros. As you say soft drinks at meals are extra (2-3 euros) at meals. Also bear in mind that they don't serve iced tap water at meals, you will be expected to buy bottles of still(naturale) or sparkling (frizzante), 1.30 for a small bottle (25cl) or 2

30 (75cl). If you like water with a meal, then I'd recommend the water package at 20euros for 14 (75cl) bottles.

Are there any "not to be missed" food items that the chefs excell at?

Bear in mind that they do not use as much salt or spices in their food as you'd expect in food in the US, so there is a possibility that with your tatse buds used to US food, it may seem bland to you...however for me, my favourites are

the gelato (free at luncg and dinner in MDR) - they have some unusual flavours - I love the banana and the hazlenut....the pizza (but Italain not US style), the pastas and risottos (pasta may not be as soft as you are used to) - my favourites here are the Emilio Romagno lasagne, Fusilli norma (tomata sauce with aubergine) and many of the risottos. The aubergine parmigina (eggplant) is fantastic. Love most of the soups particulary the hot or cold consomme types and the delicious chilled fruit ones. Appetizers are geberally good - my favourite i sthe tomato stuffed with tuna mousse. Rarely eat desserts but live the tiramisu and the baked alska (last formal evening). the creme brulee tatstes good but the don't seem to be able to get the caramelised crunch on the top right.

What about the pizza service at suppertime-is this available every night, slices only, cost, anything else served with it like salad, etc. ? Can you take this to your room to eat on the balcony? If you are talking about the free pizza at 1.330ish, then it will only be one eveings and will be mini ones (just a few bites) served with nothing else. Some ships (like the Fantasia) have a pizza restaurant that opens in the evening. Sorry don't know what it is served with nor the cost. As far as I'm aware, there is no suppertime speciality pizza restaurant on the Musica. Thee only food I've ever had on my balcony was room service. I've no idea whether you can take food from a restaurant to your balcony or not. I'm European, so don't ever consider taking food away to my room (or home from a restaurant) in the way my American sister-in-law regulary does.

Thanks in advance for any info that you can pass along.

OK, let me get this straight. In the MDR in the evening, in the Med (not the Caribbean), if I do not wish to purchase bottled water,bar beverages,soda etc, there will not be anything provided to drink with my meal with no additional cost-is that right? Not even a glass of tap water? I'm just trying to get a handle on what all of the nickle and dime charges will be before I sign on the dotted line. I understand that this is Europe and things are different there--ok, thats why I'm going, to see different things and experience different ways of life, I just need to get a general idea of what all of the additional costs will add up to. We have traveled in Europe a number of times, and have cruised there also, but the American lines are not doing the itinerary that I want, so if I want to go I have to decide between MSC and Costa, and according to the message boards and all of the compaints this is getting to be a very hard decision as to whether I want to subject ouselves to either of them.

OK, let me get this straight. In the MDR in the evening, in the Med (not the Caribbean), if I do not wish to purchase bottled water,bar beverages,soda etc, there will not be anything provided to drink with my meal with no additional cost-is that right? Not even a glass of tap water?

I've only taken one MSC cruise (a med), but frequent this board almost daily. Free tap water will not be offered without request in the Med. And, then the request might not be granted - it's hit or miss. But the cost of the cruise is generally so much less than an American line you could buy about 100 bottles of water and have money left over for soft drinks, coffee and what not.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what all of the nickle and dime charges will be before I sign on the dotted line. I understand that this is Europe and things are different there--ok, thats why I'm going, to see different things and experience different ways of life, I just need to get a general idea of what all of the additional costs will add up to. We have traveled in Europe a number of times, and have cruised there also, but the American lines are not doing the itinerary that I want, so if I want to go I have to decide between MSC and Costa, and according to the message boards and all of the compaints this is getting to be a very hard decision as to whether I want to subject ouselves to either of them.

Notice from your sign-off that you have cruised NCL extensively. One thing I have noticed is that NCL'ers generally like MSC. I have always found this surprising - because one line is so structured and the other free-wheeling. Most come back saying they liked the cruise and would sail again but missed free-style. I like both lines - but they're different. And, to tell you the truth I feel more "nickel and dimed" on NCL, because of the constant upsell. Drinks generally cost more on NCL, gratuities are added to drinks (MSC might be starting that also though), and quality of main dining room food usually sends you to a specialty restaurant more than a few times on NCL. Buffets on NCL are generally better, though. I have to second Amondo that the people happiest on MSC are the ones who embrace the European experience. There is a review of one of the ships in the review section by Belletraite - the Splendida - that you might find interesting. This individual did 4 back to back cruises on 4 different lines in Europe last fall. He ranked MSC second, just below a line that would be generally considered high-end.

Thanks for the clarifications-if our TA can still get us the great rate we were looking at, then we are going to give the Musica a try. After some soul searching we are going into this with an attitude of not "how bad can it be", but rather "how good it will be". We have cruised NCL a lot, and that is why we are looking for somehing different. It will be refreshing not to be bothered by waiters hawking drinks at the pool, having different menus to choose from and getting the opportunity to try something something new for a change. I admit that we do like Freestyle for the choice of restaurants that you can choose, but we primarily eat in the MDR anyway, however, we do love the being able to dine when you wish, with whom you wish. We will adapt, and just hope that we will be able to get a table for two, but will make the best of it if we don't.

Can't wait to get to Venice and then onto the ship--new adventures await!!

Thanks for the clarifications-if our TA can still get us the great rate we were looking at, then we are going to give the Musica a try. After some soul searching we are going into this with an attitude of not "how bad can it be", but rather "how good it will be". We have cruised NCL a lot, and that is why we are looking for somehing different. It will be refreshing not to be bothered by waiters hawking drinks at the pool, having different menus to choose from and getting the opportunity to try something something new for a change. I admit that we do like Freestyle for the choice of restaurants that you can choose, but we primarily eat in the MDR anyway, however, we do love the being able to dine when you wish, with whom you wish. We will adapt, and just hope that we will be able to get a table for two, but will make the best of it if we don't.

Can't wait to get to Venice and then onto the ship--new adventures await!!

We took the same attitude last year with our cruise - we only paid $500 p/p including tax and port charges. Jeez, I'd sail around the Med in a barge for that price. Instead we got a brand spankin' new ship, great sized inside cabin, wonderful waiter and steward, and pretty darn good meals (love Italian food). I would sail MSC again with the right itinerary and price again in a heartbeat. We sailed with friends which made the set dining time more tolerable.

Actually, I find one of the problems with cruising is that you don't get a feel of a culture with just a port visit. Sailing a European ship in Europe helps compensate that short-fall.

If the hawking drives you nuts on the American lines you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. It's more like country club service - where you catch their eye and nod and they come.

We took the same attitude last year with our cruise - we only paid $500 p/p including tax and port charges. Jeez, I'd sail around the Med in a barge for that price. Instead we got a brand spankin' new ship, great sized inside cabin, wonderful waiter and steward, and pretty darn good meals (love Italian food). I would sail MSC again with the right itinerary and price again in a heartbeat. We sailed with friends which made the set dining time more tolerable.

Actually, I find one of the problems with cruising is that you don't get a feel of a culture with just a port visit. Sailing a European ship in Europe helps compensate that short-fall.

If the hawking drives you nuts on the American lines you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. It's more like country club service - where you catch their eye and nod and they come.

Our feelings exactly, so much of the fun in traveling is sampling the foods of the region, and that just doesn't happen on most major cruise ships whose menus are preset. NCL ships menus are the same whether you are in the Med, the Caribbean, ALaska or Hawaii--Sometimes thats good, most times it is boring for those who cruise often. I am truly looking forward to sampling a number of different Italian dishes on board. We will be able to have Greek food for lunch in port most days and then Italian in the evenings on the ship--sounds great to me.

Archived