Cutbacks??

garigoun

I've just received the pre-cruise docs for April 22nd and was surprised to find the luggage tags tucked inside the large booklet. Also instructions on retrieving your E-ticket. The booklet itself seems a bit slimmer than previous and consists mainly of promo photos. It does however contain all the neccessary information it just seems a lttle meagre compared with others we've had but as I bin all paperwork after the trip I can't be sure. Do they not send out the plastic wallets nearer the time any more? Not that I want one, just curious, e-tickets seem the way to go for me but I know lots of people rather like the pre-cruise trappings.

It's a 7 night trip and the extra night is an elegant casual on the 4th night if anyone is interested.

Gari

I've just received the pre-cruise docs for April 22nd and was surprised to find the luggage tags tucked inside the large booklet. Also instructions on retrieving your E-ticket. The booklet itself seems a bit slimmer than previous and consists mainly of promo photos. It does however contain all the neccessary information it just seems a lttle meagre compared with others we've had but as I bin all paperwork after the trip I can't be sure. Do they not send out the plastic wallets nearer the time any more? Not that I want one, just curious, e-tickets seem the way to go for me but I know lots of people rather like the pre-cruise trappings.

It's a 7 night trip and the extra night is an elegant casual on the 4th night if anyone is interested.

Gari

What Day/Dates are listed for all the Other Formal /Casual Nights on the 7 day Cruise

Gari

Same with me. I've just received my documents for the QV for 29th April which had the luggage labels enclosed and E-ticket instructions. I was wondering myself whether it was cost-cutting/because I'd already got some wallets/it's only a 4 day cruise. I received a wallet though for my 4 day cruise last October.

I guess it's a cost-cutting measure then. As I've already got 3 wallets, I'm not bothered but I would be a bit miffed if it was my first voyage.

The Voyage Guide was slimmed down last year but I still got a big Pre-Voyage Documentation & Shore excursions brochure.

We have a round trip Trans Atlantic and Norway cruise in June. I hope they don't cut the costs for everyone. We are bringing our good freinds with us (they are new to Cunard) this time around because we were so excited how Cunard does everything right. I know it sounds silly, but I know my freinds would really want the tix holder they sent out last year. Hope they haven't cut anything else back. DH and I were just talking of that this morning.

I'm just back from a Princess cruise and received no pre cruise documents in the mail...no wallet, no booklets, no luggage tags. :confused:

Everything is online.,..excursion bookings, e-ticket, voyage summary and luggage tags which one prints on computer paper then folds in 3 and staples :rolleyes: to one's luggage. It was very anti climatic...

Cost cutting seems to be the trend if the food on Princess was any measure. It was far from what one expects and was a disappointing aspect of the trip. The ship,however, was lovely inside and very well maintained and service was exemplary. But there is no doubt that costs are being trimmed and I suppose that's an inevitable reaction to lowered fares.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

Gari

All's well at Seabourn.they have upgraded the ticket holder and leather luggage tags.

I can see the point in just using an E ticket, as you would do on an airline,it is cheaper but also more environmentally friendly.

It's on the ship that really counts.

What Day/Dates are listed for all the Other Formal /Casual Nights on the 7 day Cruise

April 22nd W/Bound.

22nd E.C.; 23rd B&W Ball, Formal; 24th S.F.; 25th E.C.; 26th Victoriana Ball, Formal; 27th Masked Ball Formal; 28th E.C.

Gari

All's well at Seabourn.they have upgraded the ticket holder and leather luggage tags.

I can see the point in just using an E ticket, as you would do on an airline,it is cheaper but also more environmentally friendly.

it's also less likely to get lost or forgotten. last time we went on princess i was planning on proposing to my wife, i was so caught up trying to keep the ring from being discovered or lost we got to the airport (after battling LA traffic for 50 miles) only to discover i'd forgotten our cruise documentation. 50 miles back through LA traffic, a near discovery of the ring (the first and only time i've been grateful to be interrupted by a telemarketing call) another 50 miles back to the airport and all we had to do was skip dinner.

still with the increasing use of smart devices/phones i'd love to see more travel organizations utilize completely electronic documentation.

still with the increasing use of smart devices/phones i'd love to see more travel organizations utilize completely electronic documentation.

But all you need on a Cunarder is your passport. I didn't touch the tickets I had in January.

There are plenty of the plastic wallets on Ebay.

I like them in that I can keep all the other bits safe - air tickets, hotels etc., but I have plenty so I can use one of those if necessary.

I personally do not disagree with your statement, but it could pose problems to certain of Cunard's passengers.

I am thinking of one of our cruising acquaintances who is an octogenarian and books his cruises directly with Cunard over the telephone. Although a retired professional, he does not own a computer, and if he did, he would not know how to work it! So, if it is to become a case of print your own e-ticket and luggage labels, how is he to achieve this?

Regards,

David

Obviously I have a computer, but like Dorchester's friend, I have no idea how to use it other than for Cruise Critic, and E mails. Even trying for Cunard page or Tripadvisor tries my skill, and I usually end up frustrated. and uninformed

I wish to "whiz kids" at cruise line HQ would realise not everyone is "born with internet connections ". How many times do you hear the excuse "it was a computer error"? Computers are only an extension of the typewriters, no typist ever excused her bad typing or missing information by claiming it was "a typewriter error".

Unfortunately it is the same "whiz kids" that are the cause of deteriorating service and standards during the cruise.

Instance, QM2 TV shows movies, but you cannot get a list of the movies for your cruise with dates and times, no -you are supposed to turn on your TV every morning, go through a series of steps to get a running listing, and write down time of the movie you wish to see that day.if you can get it done in time that is.

What a way to treat a paying customer! One page in the so called information book is all it would take to provide an 80+ passenger with the information she needs. but the whiz kids will not do that, "go to the TV menu" is their answer.

How many times on board have you tried to get service through a real "live" person only to get voice mail, which staff never listen to anyway.?

If they ever use the weasel words 'environmentally friendly' as an excuse for saving the cost of postage and printing, I shall remind them how much rubbish arrives in the cabin on board on a daily basis, just about all of which goes straight into the bin.

Mary

I am thinking of one of our cruising acquaintances who is an octogenarian and books his cruises directly with Cunard over the telephone. Although a retired professional, he does not own a computer, and if he did, he would not know how to work it! So, if it is to become a case of print your own e-ticket and luggage labels, how is he to achieve this?

it would definitely need to a gradual change and an optional one to start. you may recall for a time banks charged extra for internet banking and now it's more likely you'll be charged if you go in to see a teller. the same is true of the airline industry, e-tickets were exception and in some cases you were charged for the convenience, they too have switched and paper tickets now invoke a surcharge.

a service like cunard, which caters to an older clientele is understandably less inclined to cater to a more technically adept audience. for those of us who prefer the convenience of electronic data though it's a nice service.

now if they just allow for RFID tagged luggage we wouldn't need to bother printing anything at all.

This is progress :rolleyes: It just happens to work in Cunard's interest. I have a printer, but I don't use it so I will have to buy some ink before I can print my e-ticket. I will also miss the Doc dance, the e-ticket dance just does not have the same ring to it.

If they ever use the weasel words 'environmentally friendly' as an excuse for saving the cost of postage and printing, I shall remind them how much rubbish arrives in the cabin on board on a daily basis, just about all of which goes straight into the bin.

Mary

Hear yea! so much rubbish delivered daily with advertising for cheap artwork and spa deals to name just a couple. Also goes for me: straight into the bin.

This is progress :rolleyes: It just happens to work in Cunard's interest. I have a printer, but I don't use it so I will have to buy some ink before I can print my e-ticket. I will also miss the Doc dance, the e-ticket dance just does not have the same ring to it.

When I went on the Explorer of the Sea in September, I got nothing through the mail and couldn't understand where the luggage tags were. Well, it was there. It was one luggage tag hidden somewhere in the midst of the documents that had to be printed out That one tag had to be copied then printed. I am not very adept at using the computer to begin with, never mind copying and printing luggage tags. Thank goodness I have a friend who was willing to help me out with it or I may have gone without them. Not a good thing.:)

Is it progress Stephen - or simply cost cutting?

When one pays several thousand pounds to undertake a voyage with Cunard, surely it is not too much to expect to receive a pre-printed ticket for that voyage. I would gladly sacrifice the avalanche of unsolicited flyers that arrive in my cabin on a daily basis, extolling the apparent virtues of the various spa treatments on offer, or the excellent value of 'An Inch of Gold' available fron the 'Tat-Tables', or even the 'Not to be missed opportunity' to "invest" in as exclusive masterpiece from the on-board Art Auction!

The e-ticket and 'Print Your Own' luggage labels is nothing at all to do with being "green" - it is simply less cost to Cunard!

Regards,

David

Instance, QM2 TV shows movies, but you cannot get a list of the movies for your cruise with dates and times, no -you are supposed to turn on your TV every morning, go through a series of steps to get a running listing, and write down time of the movie you wish to see that day.if you can get it done in time that is.

I had a nice printed leaflet with all the times on it for my last QV trip - earlier this year.

Mary

Quite. Just like the homilies about saving the oceans with reused towels. They want to save on washing them! Be honest about it please....

Mind you - every hotel is guilty of that one.

Is it progress Stephen - or simply cost cutting?

When one pays several thousand pounds to undertake a voyage with Cunard, surely it is not too much to expect to receive a pre-printed ticket for that voyage.

Very true..keep in mind Princess handles the ticket administration of Cunard...they decide how Cunard passengers receive their ticketing information.

It was particularly unsettling for some to receive correspondence from Cunard with the Princess Cruises return address..it's the little details that Carnival really overlooks which maes them so unattractive.

Very true..keep in mind Princess handles the ticket administration of Cunard...they decide how Cunard passengers receive their ticketing information.

It was particularly unsettling for some to receive correspondence from Cunard with the Princess Cruises return address..it's the little details that Carnival really overlooks which maes them so unattractive.

You almost disappointed me Savoia. When I read your first sentence, no where could I find the word Carnival. It was only Princess and Cunard that you mentioned. But lo and behold, the second sentence did not let me down. You have a perfect record. Keep it up!:)

Yes QV does do it, as I found out when I sailed on her, which is why I have complained more than a few times to Cruise Director , and front desk staff on the QM2 that they do not do this. Obviously it is not really a HO thing, though they do use that as an excuse on QM2.

Another pet peeve (being a gouchy old witch), is that on those flyers for the Spa/beauty salon it almost never mentions the original price. or the "sale price" simply saying "5% off" is not much use. Please do not get me going on re the so called "ART" auctions, or I will hog this post for days.

Its those "darn whiz kids/smart ideas people again"

Lynn

Archived