Ice Bar charge?

kikki21

Reading some of the threads here about the Epic, some people are saying there's a charge for this bar..... does that include a drink or is it just an entrance fee? I can't find anything about a charge in the brochure although the brochure does state that some of the restaurants have a cover charge - which most speciality restaurants do on cruise ships. I wasn't aware this now applies to bars too, but shouldn't really be surprised! :rolleyes:

ah yes I read somewhere that it doesn't hold a lot of people.... but if the cover charge includes drinks too then that is fair enough and of course the faux fur!!! Perfect to cool off then if the weather is too hot! :)

ah yes I read somewhere that it doesn't hold a lot of people.... but if the cover charge includes drinks too then that is fair enough and of course the faux fur!!! Perfect to cool off then if the weather is too hot! :)

just remember you can't keep the faux fur! ahhaaa!

from what i read i think it only holds 25 people at a time, and the cost (according to one site) is $25 for 2 drinks. i imagine the turnaround is rather quick, as sitting around in 17-degree weather doesn't sound like too much fun if you're in there too long! i imagine they serve other drinks aside from vodka drinks, but then again, not sure if they can serve beer because i would think it would freeze! :D

If the ice bar is like the Absolut Ice bars in Europe, they will only serve a set menu of vodka based drinks.

At $20 or $25 including 2 drinks, the price is a bargain. We paid approximately twice that for entrance and one drink at the Ice Bar in London.

It was quite cold inside, and my husband said to definitely make sure you are wearing long pants rather than shorts because the faux fur cape does not cover your legs. It was fun to sit on ice seats and see the ice bar and ice sculptures though.

Lisa

If the ice bar is like the Absolut Ice bars in Europe, they will only serve a set menu of vodka based drinks.

At $20 or $25 including 2 drinks, the price is a bargain. We paid approximately twice that for entrance and one drink at the Ice Bar in London.

It was quite cold inside, and my husband said to definitely make sure you are wearing long pants rather than shorts because the faux fur cape does not cover your legs. It was fun to sit on ice seats and see the ice bar and ice sculptures though.

Lisa

Awesome info! Thank you!!!

I know you get the faux fur coat but what about your feet??!!

As the ship will be in Caribbean then can't imagine many people will have their winter boots with them!!?

Any thoughts?

Wear two pair of your socks :D I really think they don't want people too comfortable in the Ice Bar. They have to move a lot of passengers through there with room for only a few at a time.

"If the ice bar is like the Absolut Ice bars in Europe, they will only serve a set menu of vodka based drinks.

At $20 or $25 including 2 drinks, the price is a bargain. We paid approximately twice that for entrance and one drink at the Ice Bar in London. "

Obviously, no one knows for sure at this point except perhaps someone at NCL.

Based upon the comments above, I would expect NCL would do 1 of two things:

a) Cover charge including 1 or 2 drinks. I would expect the cover charge in this situation to be higher than $20. NCL wants a premium return on it's investment in that specialty bar. The other issue here is this - I am sure there will be a lot of different drinks and premium alcohols - How do you define what 2 drinks are included unless it is a stated $ credit of some amount.

b)Cover charge with drinks extra.

The second scenario will be less appealing in general so I would expect the first scenario to be implemented.

The dicey decision for NCL is how high can they push the entrance fee and how small can they make the credit for 1 or 2 drinks.

It will be interesting to see what happens to those fur coats on Caribbean itins. Will they allow sweaty, bathing suit clad, flip flop wearin, suntan lotion laden guests to enter?

$20 for 2 drinks and entrance to a sweet ice bar seems more than worth it. Get the picture for facebook, pound the drink and move on.

This post makes me wonder about what a normal drink runs on the deck or in one of the dining halls though. I've only been on a Carnival cruise but already booked The Epic so I guess I'll find out..... seems like I'll end up spending a small fortune trying to do all the cool stuff on the ship

The Ice Bar sounds perfect for me. I'm from Manitoboa, Canada and our winter gets down way below that. We have ice carnivals in lower temps so the coat and a cople of drinks sound perfect.

What to wear, long pants, longer sleve shirt/blouse, runners and socks.

Why would, for example, $15 cover with two mandatory $10 drinks be "less appealing" than $35 cover with two "free" drinks?

Never said anything about a mandatory drink purchase in my post.

All I was suggesting is that it will be easier to get people in the door to spend $$ with a smaller cover charge.

Never said anything about a mandatory drink purchase in my post.

All I was suggesting is that it will be easier to get people in the door to spend $$ with a smaller cover charge.

I don't think they will have any problem getting enough people in the door. The problem will be getting people out of the bar to get those waiting in.

I don't think they will have any problem getting enough people in the door. The problem will be getting people out of the bar to get those waiting in.

I think the cold temperatures will do the trick pretty well. The NCL execs at last night's EPIC presentation in Boston showed a video of a simulated ice bar in Miami and they agreed that there was a limit to the amount of time most would care to spend in this venue, faux fur coats notwithstanding. I think the curiosity factor will bring people in the first time, but how many will be rushing back many times during the cruise.:)

Wear two pair of your socks :D I really think they don't want people too comfortable in the Ice Bar. They have to move a lot of passengers through there with room for only a few at a time.

We've been to the Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. They give you ski boots and gloves (with disposable plastic liners) to wear.

We went to the Ice Bar in Copehagen in June. We paid $35 pp and were given 2 coupons for our 2 "free" drinks. We had a choice from 8 vodka drinks that were mixed at the bar made of ice. The cocktails were served in small glasses made of ice. We were given the parkas to wear that had mittens attached to the sleeves. We also had the choice to slip on fur lined boots (not ski boots). We had on our tennis shoes so just wore those and while my feet were cold after 25 minutes, it was fine. The floor and ceiling were metal. The walls, table, and benches were ice. It was a great experience and we're looking forward to doing it again on the Epic.

We've been to the Ice Bar at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. They give you ski boots and gloves (with disposable plastic liners) to wear.

I keep thinking how glad I am that I will be wearing one of those faux fur coats on the TA and not after 50,000 people have had them on! lol Ick. Like bowling shoes.

However, a cupla good stiff martinis and I prolly won't care too much. ;-)

Archived