Cape Town to Cape Town Silverwind

chickens

I went into a one-room shack with three bunk beds and no running water, that was home to five adults (two couples and a single guy) and a few kids who sleep on the floor. The experience helped keep things in perspective when I encountered minor service issues on my happy time aboard the Wind.

We can whinge and whine about how things didn't go according to plan and then an experience like Coastside's puts things well into perspective of how lucky we all are to experience cruising on Silversea, or for that matter, any cruiseline.

Just my 2cents worth on a glorious sunny summer Sydney Saturday:)

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Just my 2cents worth on a glorious sunny summer Sydney Saturday:)

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Cheers back, Jennifer! I enjoy all of your posts and hope to meet you one day.

PS "sunny summer Sydney Saturday" sounds pretty awesome on a cold snowy Friday night in Chicago!

Cheers back, Jennifer! I enjoy all of your posts and hope to meet you one day. PS "sunny summer Sydney Saturday" sounds pretty awesome on a cold snowy Friday night in Chicago!

Hi Patty

Hope to meet u too somewhere sunny of course ... can't imagine the kind of cold u guys have to put up with! :)

Cheers

Jennifer

Following the report from Chickens, I feel it worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

My wife and I were on the Silver Shadow in November last year from Fort Lauderdale to Barbados. Everything was as near perfect as one could wish, and so we eagerly signed up to our next silversea experience.

We joined the Silver WIND in Capetown on the 13th January for the 10 day cruise. We have sailed many cruises in total, with at least five prior trips with Silverseas and six trips with Seabourn. This was our worst ever cruise experience.

It didnt help at embarkation when the female doctor who took our temperatures was somewhat curt and said that we 'were fit and allowed to board'. She had no sense of humour or welcmong spirit.

We also had gone to an unnecessary expense to avail ourselves of the Yellow fever vaccinations which were not required.

Anyway the ship itself. Starting with the Butler. I must say that we really didnt want the use of a butler, having always been satisfied in the past with the stewardess. Our butler had had no previous experience and had only completed one prior cruise. It would appear that , unlike in the past, he was responsible for making sure the fridge was stocked, glasses available and replenishing the toiletries. He did meet us on arrival and introduce himself but at no point did he ask if we needed any assistance with unpacking. (Not that we would have accepted anyway). We did open our Chamoagne and enjoyed a glass. On this point, I will add, that after Dinner on the first night, we returned to our suite (around 10.15pm) and went to bed. At around 10.30 pm there was a ring on the doorbell and it was the butler wanting to take away the glasses for cleaning. He received a suitable reply!!!!

Our relationship with him was soured by that event and we never had much more to do with him.

On that first night at Dinner, I had a 'hair' in my main course. I brought this to the attention of the waiter who did offer to change the food. But, I never received any other apology, I did expect an apology from the Maitre D. I agree with another writer who spoke of a Head Waiter who never really interacted with the guests.

On the second night at Dinner, things did not improve. Because they were serving the Steak Dinner on deck, the main waiter from our section of tables was on duty upstairs. How would you like to have been served by at least eleven different waiters that night! A lady head waiter took our order, and several different assistant waiters topped up our water. We started off with sparkling water and on many occasions were then filled with still or ships water - always having to have it changed. As the food arrived on station any available waiter from adjoining stations eventually came over to serve it. On one occasion we saw food on this counter for over five minutes before it was served by a waiter. That evenings meal was a real Fred Carnos event. We of course brought it to the attention of Jorge.

A couple of days into the voyage you receive a comment form from the Hotel Director. We listed several points on this letter and sent it off. We heard nothing.

We were not impressed with this Hotel Director, who always seemed to be sealed at his side by one other Food and Beverage Officer. One morning I witnessed this Hotel Director shout loudly from the top deck to Jorge on the deck below and across the other side to 'get some towels up here now' Extremely unprofessional.

There was a serious outbreak of norovirus, and I'm not sure if this was the reason the dancers didnt perform one night , or as already reported they were drunk. Several passengers certainly did leave the ship at various ports towards the end of the trip because of the poor food and service and because of this virus.

We found the Cruise Director 'Paul' to be useless, he did no shows, only introductions and tannoy announcements.

The highlight of this cruise was the overnight excursion to Phindha which we thoroughly enjoyed. On this trip we met the family who were in one of the big suites at the front of the ship and relocated to a smaller suite amidships because of their continued seasicknesses. They were very unhappy with the way they had been treated on board.

We met four gentleman who left the ship in Richards Bay and flew back to Capetown, they were very unhappy with the food, service and entertainmnet.

When we left the ship in Capetown we spent one day at the Bay hotel in Camps Bay. By sheer coincidence we met a couple who we had previously seen on the ship. They had left the ship after four days. The lady had been violently ill for two days, she visited the doctor on several occasions. The doctor had denied she had any form of norovirus - only the flu.

The couple in the suite next door to us were confined to their room for 48 hours - I spoke to them on the balcony.

Certainly the weather was not great on this voyage, and this didnt help the situation, but of course, this cant be put down to Silversea.

Overall, we were extremely disappointed with the food and service, (alot of newbies had just joined) and we werent impressed with the Hotel Director of the Cruise Director.

I just think that for lots of reasons we were unlucky - but our views of Silversea are severely tarnished.

Hi Smoothcruiser,

Just to let you know we have sent a letter of complaint to Silversea Re. this cruise as I know have other people, we have seen a copy of one of the other letters sent. If you are writting in and want any help let me know. We and the other people are expecting them to compensate us for our poor holiday experience.

Chickens.

Thanks for posting your experience.It does sound a little unusual for Silversea.

But for those of us that were lucky not to be onboard,we can only sympathise with you.

Now wait for those posters here that don't believe you,and will have nothing said against this line.

What are your thoughts for a next cruise?

Following the report from Chickens, I feel it worthwhile to contribute to this thread.

My wife and I were on the Silver Shadow in November last year from Fort Lauderdale to Barbados. Everything was as near perfect as one could wish, and so we eagerly signed up to our next silversea experience.

We joined the Silver WIND in Capetown on the 13th January for the 10 day cruise. We have sailed many cruises in total, with at least five prior trips with Silverseas and six trips with Seabourn. This was our worst ever cruise experience.

It didnt help at embarkation when the female doctor who took our temperatures was somewhat curt and said that we 'were fit and allowed to board'. She had no sense of humour or welcmong spirit.

We also had gone to an unnecessary expense to avail ourselves of the Yellow fever vaccinations which were not required.

Anyway the ship itself. Starting with the Butler. I must say that we really didnt want the use of a butler, having always been satisfied in the past with the stewardess. Our butler had had no previous experience and had only completed one prior cruise. It would appear that , unlike in the past, he was responsible for making sure the fridge was stocked, glasses available and replenishing the toiletries. He did meet us on arrival and introduce himself but at no point did he ask if we needed any assistance with unpacking. (Not that we would have accepted anyway). We did open our Chamoagne and enjoyed a glass. On this point, I will add, that after Dinner on the first night, we returned to our suite (around 10.15pm) and went to bed. At around 10.30 pm there was a ring on the doorbell and it was the butler wanting to take away the glasses for cleaning. He received a suitable reply!!!!

Our relationship with him was soured by that event and we never had much more to do with him.

On that first night at Dinner, I had a 'hair' in my main course. I brought this to the attention of the waiter who did offer to change the food. But, I never received any other apology, I did expect an apology from the Maitre D. I agree with another writer who spoke of a Head Waiter who never really interacted with the guests.

On the second night at Dinner, things did not improve. Because they were serving the Steak Dinner on deck, the main waiter from our section of tables was on duty upstairs. How would you like to have been served by at least eleven different waiters that night! A lady head waiter took our order, and several different assistant waiters topped up our water. We started off with sparkling water and on many occasions were then filled with still or ships water - always having to have it changed. As the food arrived on station any available waiter from adjoining stations eventually came over to serve it. On one occasion we saw food on this counter for over five minutes before it was served by a waiter. That evenings meal was a real Fred Carnos event. We of course brought it to the attention of Jorge.

A couple of days into the voyage you receive a comment form from the Hotel Director. We listed several points on this letter and sent it off. We heard nothing.

We were not impressed with this Hotel Director, who always seemed to be sealed at his side by one other Food and Beverage Officer. One morning I witnessed this Hotel Director shout loudly from the top deck to Jorge on the deck below and across the other side to 'get some towels up here now' Extremely unprofessional.

There was a serious outbreak of norovirus, and I'm not sure if this was the reason the dancers didnt perform one night , or as already reported they were drunk. Several passengers certainly did leave the ship at various ports towards the end of the trip because of the poor food and service and because of this virus.

We found the Cruise Director 'Paul' to be useless, he did no shows, only introductions and tannoy announcements.

The highlight of this cruise was the overnight excursion to Phindha which we thoroughly enjoyed. On this trip we met the family who were in one of the big suites at the front of the ship and relocated to a smaller suite amidships because of their continued seasicknesses. They were very unhappy with the way they had been treated on board.

We met four gentleman who left the ship in Richards Bay and flew back to Capetown, they were very unhappy with the food, service and entertainmnet.

When we left the ship in Capetown we spent one day at the Bay hotel in Camps Bay. By sheer coincidence we met a couple who we had previously seen on the ship. They had left the ship after four days. The lady had been violently ill for two days, she visited the doctor on several occasions. The doctor had denied she had any form of norovirus - only the flu.

The couple in the suite next door to us were confined to their room for 48 hours - I spoke to them on the balcony.

Certainly the weather was not great on this voyage, and this didnt help the situation, but of course, this cant be put down to Silversea.

Overall, we were extremely disappointed with the food and service, (alot of newbies had just joined) and we werent impressed with the Hotel Director of the Cruise Director.

I just think that for lots of reasons we were unlucky - but our views of Silversea are severely tarnished.

I am having my doubts about our scheduled cruise on SilverWind next January. And, I normally read reviews on message boards with a grain of salt. We had some issues with our PAII cruise last year, so I totally understand what you are talking about. Note that issues were definitely not with the wait staff in the dining room which had been our best at sea at that point. I don't even recall who the Captain was on PAII last year which is so different than our experience with Captain Carl on Azamara Quest just a couple of weeks ago. My observations over the years is that the staff and crew are more important than my stateroom, or whether a ship is luxury, luxury lite, or Deluxe, etc.

Also, who were the Hotel and Cruise Directors?

What is the story with the Yellow Fever shots being required by SilVersSea, (but than not required by any country visited?)

We have had this shot having gone to Brazil last year and fortunately billed to our insurance (hospital clinic in-network) along with some other vaccinations, so we never received any charge besides a co-pay (maybe $25.00).

It may be good for 10 years (need to check) so if you travel a lot may be useful to you in the near future.

It sounds like both the Hotel Director and Cruise Director need to be replaced. They can really affect your enjoyment of a cruise. I hope SilverSea is reading. I am seriously considering canceling, but waiting to see Azamara's schedules for 2011 which are not out past April. SilverSea has the best itineraries. Aamara has the customer Service part down.

It sounds like both the Hotel Director and Cruise Director need to be replaced. They can really affect your enjoyment of a cruise. I hope SilverSea is reading. I am seriously considering canceling, but waiting to see Azamara's schedules for 2011 which are not out past April. SilverSea has the best itineraries. Aamara has the customer Service part down.

We canceled our Silver Wind cruise for 2011. There seems to be too many problems and I get what is being discussed as the PAII last year was good but not fantastic. The service overall was not up to what we have experienced on others and even mass market lines. Even some crew members told us they did not like working for this company and that is a bad sign. For this type of money the cruise should be fabulous. Hopefully SilverSea will make changes and we will be back. There is more than one review mentioning servios service issues. It's too bad because the itineraries are fantastic.

We canceled our Silver Wind cruise for 2011. There seems to be too many problems and I get what is being discussed as the PAII last year was good but not fantastic. The service overall was not up to what we have experienced on others and even mass market lines. Even some crew members told us they did not like working for this company and that is a bad sign. For this type of money the cruise should be fabulous. Hopefully SilverSea will make changes and we will be back. There is more than one review mentioning servios service issues. It's too bad because the itineraries are fantastic.

Thankx for letting us all know. If u aren't happy with Silversea, move on... hope that u will be happy with yr next cruise.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Archived