Dress Code Advice

gavinfromlondon

We are going on our first SS cruise in just under two months. It's a Caribbean cruise on the Shadow and we are in our late 20s/ early 30s. One of the things that appeals to us about Silversea is the idea of dressing for dinner etc, but having only cruised mass market lines before (and been somewhat surprised by what some people class as smart... especially certain man made fibres!), I just wanted to make sure that our understanding of the dress code is correct.

This post isn't designed to start any arguments about what should or shouldn't be acceptable or to challenge the status quo, just to get some advice as to the situation! Given that the advice on the SS website is quite American in description, any European translations would be appreciated!

For evenings, we are thinking casual means chinos and a smart shirt for me, maybe a skirt or maybe smart linen trousers and top for DW. Informal I will probably wear a suit and shirt (no tie) and DW will wear a fairly smart dress. Formal we are intending to go DJ and evening dress. I'm assuming that's all okay?

Is there any dress requirement during the day? For example, at breakfast and lunch in La Terazza, would jeans be okay? shorts? Is there anywhere outside on board where you can grab a sandwich whilst in swimming shorts and tshirt? Is it okay to walk up to the top deck wearing swim wear or does one need to cover up?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Gavin your wardrobe plan sounds perfect !

I am a senior and greatly appreciate gentlemen who respect the venue (jacket for dinner - informal - no tie necessary).

Chinos during the day-- swim wear and shorts at pool grill --

DW's plan sounds great too.

Enjoy your cruise!

Frequent Floater on Silverseas since 1996 --

For evenings, we are thinking casual means chinos and a smart shirt for me, maybe a skirt or maybe smart linen trousers and top for DW. Informal I will probably wear a suit and shirt (no tie) and DW will wear a fairly smart dress. Formal we are intending to go DJ and evening dress. I'm assuming that's all okay?

Is there any dress requirement during the day? For example, at breakfast and lunch in La Terazza, would jeans be okay? shorts? Is there anywhere outside on board where you can grab a sandwich whilst in swimming shorts and tshirt? Is it okay to walk up to the top deck wearing swim wear or does one need to cover up?

Gavin, I think you and your wife have it exactly right for evening dinner attire.

Your wife can wear a long gown or a short cocktail dress or even a glitzy top with silk pants, etc for formal nights. You see all of these. Men are in dinner jackets, tuxes and dark suits and ties.

There is no dress code during the day and you do see people wearing jeans, chinos, capris, shorts, etc. These are worn with sneakers (trainers), sandals and deck shoes. You can definitely dine outdoors at the pool grill in your swim wear and shorts. Some people even take the food back to their deck chairs while others don a shirt or cover-up and sit at a table.

I hope this helps and that you both really enjoy your cruise!

Archived