Red Sea trip good but beware local traders

We had a fantastic week on Celebration 4 - 11th Feb. Everything to do with the ship was first rate.. the only down side was the Egyptian locals. The first bad experience was at Port Sokhna and the trader on the jetty next to the ship selling souvenirs. My mother bought 6 pounds worth of goods and gave him 20 pounds sterling. The trader was reluctant to give her change and tried to get her to buy more goods. She finally snapped and said she had changed her mind and wanted her money back. He handed her a very tatty ten pound note. The trader was adamant she had only given him a ten claiming they wouldn't cheat her of money as they are honourable people. The second bad experience was Sharm El Sheikh when we went for some last minute shopping. The taxi drivers inside the port try to charge extortionate prices to go into town (which is only about two miles away). One trader got angry because we hadn't bought anything and was shouting at us as we hastily vacated his shop, how much he hated the English!!. My advice is to stay away from all the shops where haggling is the norm and stick to the fixed price shops. The last bad experience was the very very poor organisation at the airport on departure. Hundreds of passengers in the terminal having to stand up or sit on uptured shopping baskets.... the prices for food and drink at the airport are way over the top.. and practically every flight was late leaving... one passenger had actually ended up on the wrong plane. The boards were showing our flight was boarding and then departed when we were still sat in departures. What a farce....

We had a fantastic week on Celebration 4 - 11th Feb. Everything to do with the ship was first rate.. the only down side was the Egyptian locals. The first bad experience was at Port Sokhna and the trader on the jetty next to the ship selling souvenirs. My mother bought 6 pounds worth of goods and gave him 20 pounds sterling. The trader was reluctant to give her change and tried to get her to buy more goods. She finally snapped and said she had changed her mind and wanted her money back. He handed her a very tatty ten pound note. The trader was adamant she had only given him a ten claiming they wouldn't cheat her of money as they are honourable people. The second bad experience was Sharm El Sheikh when we went for some last minute shopping. The taxi drivers inside the port try to charge extortionate prices to go into town (which is only about two miles away). One trader got angry because we hadn't bought anything and was shouting at us as we hastily vacated his shop, how much he hated the English!!. My advice is to stay away from all the shops where haggling is the norm and stick to the fixed price shops. The last bad experience was the very very poor organisation at the airport on departure. Hundreds of passengers in the terminal having to stand up or sit on uptured shopping baskets.... the prices for food and drink at the airport are way over the top.. and practically every flight was late leaving... one passenger had actually ended up on the wrong plane. The boards were showing our flight was boarding and then departed when we were still sat in departures. What a farce....

Sincerest thanks for this information. Hubby and I are going on our first cruise on 11th March. Nervous but excited (if you can understand that). Will certainly keep in mind all that you have told us. Was in Sharm last year for a week and definately agree with you about Airport - it was a nightmare - and I hate flying.

I was on Red Sea Magic a few weeks ago and found the traders spoiled the excursion experience for me. Wadi Rum was OK as there were no traders as was Petra apart from the children trying to sell postcards which you just ignore. They are local beduin kids who get into the site before the mounted police arrive but are not really that much of a hassle.

The pyramids and sphinx are a different matter, you get constantly accosted wherever you go and they are difficult to get rid of. When I got to the sphinx I had had enough, just a quick dive of the coach for some pictures as the light was bad anyway and back onboard as soon as possible. Several others were already back with similar feelings to me.

So I have seen the pyramids but would not go back unless I was a rich man with a private guide and a security team to keep the sellers away.

It is a pity that Egypt seems to be doing its best to spoil tourists experience of these magnificent monuments. They have the problem of the Giza slums getting closer and no regulation of traders. These should be licenced and restricted to specific locations like they do at Petra.

Having said all that the pyramids are worth seeing even if you only go once.

I was on Red Sea Magic a few weeks ago and found the traders spoiled the excursion experience for me. Wadi Rum was OK as there were no traders as was Petra apart from the children trying to sell postcards which you just ignore. They are local beduin kids who get into the site before the mounted police arrive but are not really that much of a hassle.

The pyramids and sphinx are a different matter, you get constantly accosted wherever you go and they are difficult to get rid of. When I got to the sphinx I had had enough, just a quick dive of the coach for some pictures as the light was bad anyway and back onboard as soon as possible. Several others were already back with similar feelings to me.

So I have seen the pyramids but would not go back unless I was a rich man with a private guide and a security team to keep the sellers away.

It is a pity that Egypt seems to be doing its best to spoil tourists experience of these magnificent monuments. They have the problem of the Giza slums getting closer and no regulation of traders. These should be licenced and restricted to specific locations like they do at Petra.

Having said all that the pyramids are worth seeing even if you only go once.

We went to Egypt 2 years ago on the Spirit and def. agree with all you say.

Cairo and the Pyramids were a brilliant experience and would have hated to miss it but it was spoilt by being hassled constantley. From the moment we left the ship, we hadn't even got through the port security it started. At the sights even the police were trying to get money off you.

The same goes for us glad we've seen them but would never do it again.

A few works of arabic helps. If you say 'la shokran' to insistent traders firmly it usually does the trick. It means a polite 'no thank you' but it seems the fact you know a few words of their language marks you out as someone more experienced - I've found it works well.

The culture takes some getting used to. In Egyptian culture everyone who provides a service, no matter how small, would normally expect to be tipped a small amount. The police are providing you a service by protecting you and therefore would naturally expect some recognition. The man who checked our passports at passport control in Luxor a few years back also expected a tip! We don't tip everyone who asks and the majority seem to accept a firm no.

Another one here with similar experience of the Egyptian traders. Both in Cairo at the Pyramids and Alexandria and more recently over in Morocco on the Colourful Coasts cruise.

2 doses of North Africa in 6 months was more than enough.

Berwyn

When i was in Egypt ,i was walking around the great pyramid when some local standing around asked where i was from ,i thought it was incocent enough so i told him. Next thing hes right on top of me putting stuff in my hand taking my had of putting one of his on . "saying free gift from Egypt "

he gives me these little pyramids and some post cards then he demands i give him money .This was the other side of the pyramid we were out of site of every .I ended up giving him £20 .

When walking into the Valley of the Kings 4 years ago we were hassled terribly by traders pushing stuff at us but I thought of an idea on the way out......I limped along clutching my stomach and pretended to feel ill while holding on to hubby and do you know it did the trick :D:D they immediately backed off looking sympathetic, try it, it works well (others in our group knew what I was up to, they thought it was hilarious) Nice to have a bit of fun sometimes when you're out. We will be off on the Celebration in 3 days can't wait... it's lovely to see things you've only ever heard about, i've wanted to see the Pyramids and Sphinx for more than 50 years.:)

While at Giza a more mature lady on our tour negotiated with a local to sit on his camel so she could have a photo taken, he charged her £10, he lowered the camel and got her on, raised the camel, she had her photo taken, but when she wanted to get down he wouldn't lower the camel until she paid him an additional £20 to get down. Other tourists got the police involved and they just laughed. Just another con by the locals!!!

While at Giza a more mature lady on our tour negotiated with a local to sit on his camel so she could have a photo taken, he charged her £10, he lowered the camel and got her on, raised the camel, she had her photo taken, but when she wanted to get down he wouldn't lower the camel until she paid him an additional £20 to get down. Other tourists got the police involved and they just laughed. Just another con by the locals!!!

This is similiar to what a friend at work told me last week, only difference was she suddenly found herself being lifted onto a camel by a local while her husband turned around to take a photo of the Pyramids, the man sent the camel running then demanded money, her hubby gave him £10 but was told it wasn't enough and only called the camel back when given another £10. My friend was terrified as she has never even ridden a horse before.

Red Sea magic or nightmare?

We have just got back and as previous people have said on this subject the Celabration cruise is excellent....Ports... Not much of it, but the trips are very good, apart from the hassle of the locals who just WONT give up .

We try it all, speaking in English with a firm NO Thanks and also in Egyptian. I think after a while you become harden to it.

We would look in shops and came away with some excellent bargins especially in Leather handbags, And this is how we would do it.

We would go to the shop and if the shop was empty and the guy was outside , I would say to him,..... 'You stay here with me outside and my wife will go in and look, if you go in when see's not ready she will come out'.......We had a lot of success with this approach

As for the pyramids ....well they've all on the make and even the police are bent.....There's signs on the pyramids telling you Not to stand on them and the police are encouraging you to stand on them and have your picture taken......but beware the hand will come out after, for money!!

One even chased me for money which he did not get for taking his picture while he riding pass on his camel.

Petra is easy not too much hassle but Cairo is another thing......but once experience, I doubt you will go back for more without you armed guard

I've travel to many places in the world but Sharm -el -sheikh airport must be the worst I've been through......I thought coming in was bad enough but departure was even worse and they had both terminals open so god knows how they manage when Terminal 2 was shut down on my first week.

A lot of people I spoke too said this was the main thing that put them off returning

A lot of people I spoke too said this was the main thing that put them off returning

Hi,

That's the only trouble here. The sights are some of the ones on your "Places to see before I die" list and they just happen to be here. That's the beauty of the cruise in that you don't have to stay ashore.

And once you've seen them there are so many other sights that you can move on to others on the next holiday / cruise.

Saying that though our friends go to Sharm for a hotel holiday at least twice a year and love it.

Berwyn

Red Sea magic or nightmare?

We have just got back and as previous people have said on this subject the Celabration cruise is excellent....Ports... Not much of it, but the trips are very good, apart from the hassle of the locals who just WONT give up .

We try it all, speaking in English with a firm NO Thanks and also in Egyptian. I think after a while you become harden to it.

We would look in shops and came away with some excellent bargins especially in Leather handbags, And this is how we would do it.

We would go to the shop and if the shop was empty and the guy was outside , I would say to him,..... 'You stay here with me outside and my wife will go in and look, if you go in when see's not ready she will come out'.......We had a lot of success with this approach

As for the pyramids ....well they've all on the make and even the police are bent.....There's signs on the pyramids telling you Not to stand on them and the police are encouraging you to stand on them and have your picture taken......but beware the hand will come out after, for money!!

One even chased me for money which he did not get for taking his picture while he riding pass on his camel.

Petra is easy not too much hassle but Cairo is another thing......but once experience, I doubt you will go back for more without you armed guard

I've travel to many places in the world but Sharm -el -sheikh airport must be the worst I've been through......I thought coming in was bad enough but departure was even worse and they had both terminals open so god knows how they manage when Terminal 2 was shut down on my first week.

Absolutely roared laughing when I read your thread re shopping. I did exactly the same thing last year in Naama Bay. Found this little square (about 6 shops) 1 shop had lovely handbags. I said to the bloke inside the shop "you stand at the door with my hubby if I see something I like I will buy but do not hassle me or show me anything my eyesight is perfect. He stood at the door and I then bought 2 bags and a belt. It worked perfect for me.

When walking into the Valley of the Kings 4 years ago we were hassled terribly by traders pushing stuff at us but I thought of an idea on the way out......I limped along clutching my stomach and pretended to feel ill while holding on to hubby and do you know it did the trick :D:D they immediately backed off looking sympathetic, try it, it works well (others in our group knew what I was up to, they thought it was hilarious) Nice to have a bit of fun sometimes when you're out. We will be off on the Celebration in 3 days can't wait... it's lovely to see things you've only ever heard about, i've wanted to see the Pyramids and Sphinx for more than 50 years.:)

Thats brilliant :D guess there will be 2 of us very ill ,,,,,,,eh not long now

mrs.c

Hi mrs c. probably won't buy souvenirs from any of them this time, last time we were in Egypt we came back with a huge table cloth, very nice but never got round to using it.... also a large picture of Pharoes with symbols all around it in a glass frame from the papyrus factory at Aswan, we were so sure we wanted it at the time but back home it was completely out of place, (cost us £50) it's shut away in the cupboard, looks like we will end up flogging it for a fiver at the car boot sale sometime.

I've always found that the best phrase to use when dealing with persistant traders is "one Euro", no matter what they say or how much they want, one Euro, one Euro, one Euro. You'd be amazed how many presents you pick up for relatives back home.

Another favourite is to carry just a 5 Euro note in your purse or wallet, if theres something you fancy but don't want to pay alot just open your purse and show them "all the money you've got left" they either give up straight away and leave you in peace or let you have the item for what you've got in your purse.

HAPPY HAGGLING :)

We were on this cruise on 14 th January although the traders were a pain we did not have as much trouble with them as some have had and most left us alone if told to.

however, the airport and departure from the ship was a totally different story and an absolute nightmare. in the past Thomson have always been very organised getting on coaches on the port side however, this time we were very disappointed with them, i even wrote an email of complaitn and failled to hear anything back at all

Hi mrs c. probably won't buy souvenirs from any of them this time, last time we were in Egypt we came back with a huge table cloth, very nice but never got round to using it.... also a large picture of Pharoes with symbols all around it in a glass frame from the papyrus factory at Aswan, we were so sure we wanted it at the time but back home it was completely out of place, (cost us £50) it's shut away in the cupboard, looks like we will end up flogging it for a fiver at the car boot sale sometime.

Your right there ,you end up with a lot of( rubbish ) sorry treasures :D things you think you can,t live without :rolleyes: and when home never see the light of day ,,a fridge magnet for my D/I/L will do me :D

mrs.c

• 2 weeks later...

We were also in Sharm airport on 11th....sister was in wheelchair...and it was chaos..and thats the polite term.

Yes it was busy...and several flights all UK bound at the same time.

Didnt notice the same problems for flights to other places.....

They changed gates...and the announcer was getting more irritated each time late passengers were being called. His speed of speech was becoming more rapid each time....

Food and drink was very expensive...and again, as usual, nothing Gluten free for me.

Thomsons staff arent allowed air side....but no excuse for treating people so badly.

It has left a less than favourable impression ...shame really.

Apricot

Archived