Mycenae & Epidavros Private tour (from Napflion)

Rocket4Oh

Our cruise stops at Napflion which is within easy striking distance to Epidavros & Mycenae. We are interested in taking a half-day tour of those sites. For those who are experienced:

Do you know of a tour guide company that operates out of Napflion?

I saw a website for "Privateshoretours dot com" that has a tour of those two sites. Anyonme have experience with this company?

Thanks.

Our cruise stops at Napflion which is within easy striking distance to Epidavros & Mycenae. We are interested in taking a half-day tour of those sites. For those who are experienced:

Do you know of a tour guide company that operates out of Napflion?

I saw a website for "Privateshoretours dot com" that has a tour of those two sites. Anyonme have experience with this company?

Thanks.

I am not sure you can BOTH of these great sites in just a half day. There is some time and distance involved to do both, well. Sorry, I don't have a tour operator to suggest. We came out of Athens in doing our private tour of that area. Below are some visual examples for what is there to enjoy and why it is worth the effort to see both. Both are wonderfully interesting and historic!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

For a Mycene ruler, this was his burial place with its space for a carved triangle:

PelPenMyBurial.jpg

The “triangle” is the symbol for the Mycene empire. This carved stone is placed above where you enter its historic capital:

PelPenTriangleMy.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

Epidaurus has totally amazing acoustic properties. It is located on the Peloponnesos Peninsula:

Gr.jpg

We had a WONDERFUL tour with Nick from http://***** Greek Taxi! I cannot recommend him highly enough. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea.html

A half day to do both Mycenae and Epidaurus will be pressing it. Both are sites that require considerable walking and climbing and you really can't rush through them.

Have a GREAT cruise!

For a Mycene ruler, this was his burial place with its space for a carved triangle:

PelPenMyBurial.jpg

According to our guide, and the material at the site, this type of stone triangle is very interesting. It is not merely a decorative additon, but was a considerable architectural advance for its time. It is actually a weight relieving device that makes the massive stone wall over the lintel of the doorway possible. It is a predecessor of the arch which was used so extensively centuries later by the Romans.

According to our guide, and the material at the site, this type of stone triangle is very interesting. It is not merely a decorative additon, but was a considerable architectural advance for its time. It is actually a weight relieving device that makes the massive stone wall over the lintel of the doorway possible. It is a predecessor of the arch which was used so extensively centuries later by the Romans.

THANKS, Mike! Didn't realize fully that key, little "engineering detail". Smart folks 2700 years ago. I learned something today. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

TLCOhio and Merced Mike,

Thank you for your replies. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading quite a few of both of your entries here on CC. The pictures and info have been fantastic.

Our tour of Mycenae and/or Epidaurus will originate in Napflio rather than Athens. Both sites are within a 45-60 minute drive of the orginal capital of Greece and as such are doable.

Private Shores Tours (tour guides in many European cities) does do a 1/2 day tour of both from Napflio. Also, I found another name of a tour guide in the Rick Steves' Athens guide and have emailed her for details.

TLCOhio and Merced Mike,

Thank you for your replies. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading quite a few of both of your entries here on CC. The pictures and info have been fantastic.

Our tour of Mycenae and/or Epidaurus will originate in Napflio rather than Athens. Both sites are within a 45-60 minute drive of the orginal capital of Greece and as such are doable.

Private Shores Tours (tour guides in many European cities) does do a 1/2 day tour of both from Napflio. Also, I found another name of a tour guide in the Rick Steves' Athens guide and have emailed her for details.

Great! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and have a sense of what you will enjoy and see there. Let us know any other questions. The town of Napflion is nice with dining places overlooking the water and harbor, plus a main square/shopping area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived