Burgundy & Provence

lizglea

Taking Uniworld's Burgundy & Provence cruise 3/27/10. With all the bad weather and flooding in Europe should I be concerned about the water levels on the Saone or Rhone river? Do they control these rivers with locks? Just like to be prepared for any event. Steamboat, are you familiar with the south of France? Thanks

• 1 month later...

We took similar cruise, on Avalon, but wish I d been on Uniworld,but that s a different story, can see my review of that under member review...but, yes they are quite a few locks to control rivers,so should be no problem unless REALLY serious flooding occurs.....

Its a great area, scenic, lovely towns, lots of history, good wine,etc......just dress for any weather to be on safe side and hope for the best....

Most of the towns can be done on your own, get a France guidebook....know we don t like following the leader with an earpiece in ear...sort of stands out.....

Have a great time....;)

Instead of Marseille, you can also hop on a train and head straight to Arles and spend a day there. (Just a thought, anyway - we looked at Marseille for our trip coming up in October but decided against it).

Bring along some light weight underwear, silk or Cuddle duds, not Thermals or anything bulky. I was on this cruise in 2008 in April and was so happy to have them in my suitcase. You can easily take them off in a rest room when on an excursion when it warms up. Nice gloves are no proplem to take along as it does get cool in the mornings on the rivers.

We loved this cruise and would take it again. Hve a wonderful trip!

This our second river cruise. I hope the weather is in our favor. We are from Phila and staying over night in Marseille. Any suggestions for a hotel?

We are staying at the Marseille airport at the Accor Hotel, Pullman Marseille Provence. A number of destinations can be accessed via bus from the airport.

Leaving in 3 days, can't wait. I will give you a full report when I return

Have a great time and I look forward to hearing all about your trip. Please let me know if you are offered an optional tour in Beaune. On one of the boards, I was told to take the tour to Beaune because it was very good.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Uniworld’s Burgundy & Provence. First cruise of the season 3/27. A little rain in the morning in Lyon and than sun and high 60’s the rest of the way. Great weather.

We did our own air and transfer. Round trip into Paris and the high speed train to Lyon. Picked up the local train into Chalon and walked to the boat. Actually arrived at the boat the same time as the bus from the Lyon airport. The train was relaxing and very scenic. I was able to buy first class prems tickets on line using Great Britain as our country of origin. Was able to print the tickets so there was no problem, just get on the train and show your ticket and your passport. It doesn’t matter where your passport is from. All the connections worked (2 hour layover in Paris to catch the train but we were early and through immigration and customs in less that ½ hour.

The ship is wonderful, as usual. The food and wine pairing was incredible. Can’t say enough about the crew and cruise director. Everything runs like clockwork.

We did the first optional trip to Beaune Hospital in Chalon. I would highly recommend it. We did not take the 2 other trips because I did not want to give up any time in Avignon and I knew we were too early for the lavender fields. The people who did the tours say they were great. Each stop was great, beautiful little towns. Wonderful scenery. Avignon is a fairly large walled city. Plenty to see and do. Original home of the Popes. Outdoor cafes and shops. Viviers was a pleasant surprise. Pretty little town with unusual trees and flowers. The old town is up behind the walls. Very old and unusual. Great pottery shop in the center of town. Tournes and L’Hermitage were town on either side of the river and tour included both with a stop back at the boat between to use the facilities. Great wine tasting tour in the wine basement. Don’t miss the chocolate factory; you will smell it for blocks. The last stop was Arles. This is a city with a very Spanish flavor. There is an arena where they hold bull fights. It was built around the same time as the Coliseum in Rome and looks similar. We happened to arrive in Arles on Easter weekend which is their carnival season. They ran the bulls down main street. It was like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The open market was incredible- food, jewelry, clothing and spices. We took the train from Arles to Paris on Easter Sunday morning and arrived in Paris about 11:00 AM, just in time for the end of Easter Mass at Norte Dame. Paris was great. It apparently rained for 10 days before we got there. A little cold and damp on Sunday morning but by the afternoon and Monday and Tuesday the weather was great, sunny and about 70’s. We purchased the museum pass and by passed all the lines. You need days to see everything in the Louvre so concentrate on what you want to see. The Mona Lisa and Winged Victory are in the Demon Wing. If you don’t get the museum pass, enter through the underground carousel entrance. Usually not a line. We did not go up the Eiffel tower; the line was too long but just standing under it is enough. If you go to the Arch De Triumph, ask about the elevator to the top (there is one- I used it). Any other questions about the cruise or Paris let me know.

Liz

As others have said, there are many locks on the rivers. Passing through them is one of the fascinating elements of the trip. You'll be amazed how the captain puts that LONG narrow ship into and through these locks, with just a foot or two of clearance, without touching the walls on either side of the lock.

And, just for the record, I realize everyone's experience can be different, but we did this trip on an Avalon ship and loved every minute of it.

Just returned from Uniworld’s Burgundy & Provence. First cruise of the season 3/27. A little rain in the morning in Lyon and than sun and high 60’s the rest of the way. Great weather.

We did our own air and transfer. Round trip into Paris and the high speed train to Lyon. Picked up the local train into Chalon and walked to the boat. Actually arrived at the boat the same time as the bus from the Lyon airport. The train was relaxing and very scenic. I was able to buy first class prems tickets on line using Great Britain as our country of origin. Was able to print the tickets so there was no problem, just get on the train and show your ticket and your passport. It doesn’t matter where your passport is from. All the connections worked (2 hour layover in Paris to catch the train but we were early and through immigration and customs in less that ½ hour.

The ship is wonderful, as usual. The food and wine pairing was incredible. Can’t say enough about the crew and cruise director. Everything runs like clockwork.

We did the first optional trip to Beaune Hospital in Chalon. I would highly recommend it. We did not take the 2 other trips because I did not want to give up any time in Avignon and I knew we were too early for the lavender fields. The people who did the tours say they were great. Each stop was great, beautiful little towns. Wonderful scenery. Avignon is a fairly large walled city. Plenty to see and do. Original home of the Popes. Outdoor cafes and shops. Viviers was a pleasant surprise. Pretty little town with unusual trees and flowers. The old town is up behind the walls. Very old and unusual. Great pottery shop in the center of town. Tournes and L’Hermitage were town on either side of the river and tour included both with a stop back at the boat between to use the facilities. Great wine tasting tour in the wine basement. Don’t miss the chocolate factory; you will smell it for blocks. The last stop was Arles. This is a city with a very Spanish flavor. There is an arena where they hold bull fights. It was built around the same time as the Coliseum in Rome and looks similar. We happened to arrive in Arles on Easter weekend which is their carnival season. They ran the bulls down main street. It was like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The open market was incredible- food, jewelry, clothing and spices. We took the train from Arles to Paris on Easter Sunday morning and arrived in Paris about 11:00 AM, just in time for the end of Easter Mass at Norte Dame. Paris was great. It apparently rained for 10 days before we got there. A little cold and damp on Sunday morning but by the afternoon and Monday and Tuesday the weather was great, sunny and about 70’s. We purchased the museum pass and by passed all the lines. You need days to see everything in the Louvre so concentrate on what you want to see. The Mona Lisa and Winged Victory are in the Demon Wing. If you don’t get the museum pass, enter through the underground carousel entrance. Usually not a line. We did not go up the Eiffel tower; the line was too long but just standing under it is enough. If you go to the Arch De Triumph, ask about the elevator to the top (there is one- I used it). Any other questions about the cruise or Paris let me know.

Liz

Thanks, so much, Liz, for your review. I'm glad all went well on the train. Can you remember the names of the other optional tours? We will definitely take the Beaune tour as now I've read two recommendations. What all did you see on this tour?

We took a Uniworld cruise last year, so I don't have too many questions about the ship. It was good to hear that the same quality we experienced last year is present on this ship. August will be hear before we know it and we are looking forward to this France cruise.

Archived