Costa Rica Disembarkation

cherdon

For our cruise, that ended Jan. 16, we were off by 8:45, and we were the "independents"--we had our own transportation. Others went earlier. We got our passports back and took care of any charges the night before, so there was no slowdown for that.

Remember, that it is a two-hour ride to the airport--if no stops. We had lots of time and when our driver (Odyssey Tours) stopped at a shopping place where we could visit a small butterfly farm and meet a toucan up close and personal, we found that the buses from Wind Star stop there, too. One of them was there when we got there. So you might plan for that stop (another 30-45 min) if you are using the provided transportation.

Envious about your trip!!! Wanna go back!!

Thanks for the info. We are using Odyssey Tours for transfers to & from the ship. We are seeing the butterflies & toucans on the way to the ship along with other spots. We are just trying to find out how much time we have to kill before our 2:30 flight.

How was San Jose Airport? Do you need to be there 2 hours before flight?

Do you happen to know if Windstar still offers the Diving programs on board.

I have read that they have removed it from their other ships.

Thanks

Don

I'm not sure I can be much help with these questions.

Airport: We were there 2.5 hours early; recommended is 2 hours early. We were flying AA, however, which couldn't seem to keep its planes in topnotch order. On way down, we had a malfunctioning bathroom alarm before takeoff that delayed us for an hour. When we got to SJ airport to head home, we found that "a part" was broken, new part being flown in from Miami (!), flight delayed til 1pm. Actually left at 3:15. So hard for me to say if you need to be there 2 hours ahead. Airport is very clean and pleasant, tho.

Diving is poor along the western coast. Snorkling is marginal to ok. Primarily due to conditions: colder water so not much tropical sea life. Visibility can be iffy. This is NOT Caribbean diving or snorkling! Folks who went snorkling said it was so-so. We had storm winds, which I am sure impacted the visibility. Not sure even if this ship offers diving. Can't recall hearing any announcements about diving. Certainly not offered on any of the tours WS offered.

Another thought: if you'd like to see a coffee plantation in action, ask Odyssey to take you to Doka. Really beautiful grounds and fascinating tour that is detailed and fun and takes about an hour. Get there in time for lunch: an excellent Costa Rican buffet lunch that will cost you about $8. And there is a really super butterfly farm on the premises! We ended up spending about 2.5 hours at Doka, but could have spent 3 or more.

There is a butterfly farm in a shopping area closer to where the ship is docked, but it is nothing compared to the one at Doka, in size, varieties, educational value, beauty. There is a toucan there, but as butterflies go, no comparison.

Archived