HAL Hilo Helicopter tour

fayruz

I would like to know from someone who has done it, what is the HAL heli tour like.

Does the heli have window seats for all or is it possible to end up cramped up back without view?

Is the tour worth its 279$ each?

Is it possible, paying an extra to have a front seat guaranteed?

I went on the helio excursion on NCL but I'm sure that their tours are comparable. NCL uses Blue Hawaiian. Seating is luck of the draw. They weigh everyone and try to distribute the weight of the 4 passengers plus pilot evenly. One passenger sits in front next to the pilot, 3 passengers sit in the back. Someone therefore gets the unfortunate middle seat.

On the Hilo helio a thought that I hit the jackpot by getting the seat next to the pilot. Unfortunately, it was not really an advantage because you are somewhat forward of the window and taking pictures was difficult at best.

The worst part of the ride though is that I had I believed the name of the excursion which was "Circle of Fire". Unfortunately it turned out to be a "Circle of Smoke". We didn't see any actual red hot lava. Supposedly it is flowing in tube below the ground. What we saw was the a big hole with a lot of smoke coming out of it. The caldren actually looked like a teepee sending out smoke signals. The highlight of the tour was seeing the one house that

was spared from the last erruption, which most people had actually seen on TV.

One man's opinion, save a lot of money and spend it on another more scenic excursion.

FAYRUZ..........Looks like you found a good company and since your friend has recommended it, you should be OK.

We were on HAL during the Millennium cruise and so were our friends. I booked a heli tour with Blue Hawaii (excellent) and our friends felt safer booking with HAL. Guess what..... we were on the same bus to the landing strip and on the same copter, only difference, our friends paid a LOT more.

Scenery is wonderful, enjoy .....................

I would like to know from someone who has done it, what is the HAL heli tour like.

Does the heli have window seats for all or is it possible to end up cramped up back without view?

Is the tour worth its 279$ each?

Is it possible, paying an extra to have a front seat guaranteed?

If this price is for an hour its pretty resonable given it comes with transportation. I can assume they are going to be using one of the better companies with spotless safety records.

As another poster said on all the copter tours I've been its all about weight distribution and who your co passengers are. ( another reason you want a reputible company. I'd not to want to fly with any that would gurantee front seat for a price :eek: ) BTW sitting in front depending on the chopper model makes little true photo advantage, possible expansive view, but I've sat in the back on 3 rides and can't say I've felt I missed a thing. If you really want nothing between you and your view, try and get a doors off tour :eek::D

Archived