Sea Kayak/Beach Snorkeling

GulfCoastCruiser

We did this as a HAL shore excursion. We went to West End, kayaked (2 person kayaks), hiked in the jungle (???), kayaked back, had lunch (yummy) at a local restaurant, then snorkelled. DH snorkelled -- I freaked out and couldn't do it :) DH didn't think the snorkelling was that great, but still had a great time. He thought the visibility wasn't extremely good, but he's kinda picky, y'know? Small group -- 12 of us in total, and 4 guides. When snorkelling, 3 guides in the water and one in a kayak. We were very impressed with how safety-conscious they were.

Just curious - why did you freak out for the snorkel portion? Were there lots of big fish or baracuda? I don't know if I could hop in the water with fish that have teeth like those things! Yikes!

Can't swim, have never snorkelled successfully, thought going from the beach would solve my problems, but sticking that little mouthpiece in my mouth did me in :D Thought I was gonna choke. There were three guys to help, but the well-endowed, loud, "cutesy" 20-something in her bikini who'd never snorkelled before was taking all of their time, so they didn't have time for the other middle-aged lady and me who'd never snorkeled. (We refused to "squeal" with delight and/or fear :) ) If I'd had some time to get comfortable with the equipment, it'd have been fine. As it was, they made sure our equipment was on us properly, then OUT WE HEADED. It had NOTHING to do with big fish with big teeth :)

Next time I snorkel, it'll be DH & me, from the beach, with rented equipment (not a tour) so I can get comfortable with it, try it a few times before heading to a reef.

I am sorry your reply cracked me up and I can almost picture the other 'woman'. :) I think it would be easier to snorkel from shore than from a boat. I like knowing I can touch the bottom should panic set in.

Glad my description was descriptive :D Yeah, definitely from the beach feels less threatening than throwing yourself over the side of a boat. So next time, I'll try the "from the beach" again (like in Roatan). It was much better than off a boat.

Archived