do we need a car in fort Lauderdale?

ckr31

we will be in fort Lauderdale for 3days prior to our cruise we will be staying at the double tree on sunrise.A rental car may run me about $180.00 for the 3 days plus $18 per night parking at the hotel.would it be worth the money and savings to rent a car or just take a taxi every place we wanna go.we like to go to nice restaurants,and do shopping.

While renting a car will give you unlimited flexibility, the Doubletree seems to be nicely located and with immediate access to the water taxi and within walking distance of several key things.

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/FLLTSDT-Gallery-ONE-A-Doubletree-Guest-Suites-Hotel-Florida/index.do?brand_id=HI&brand_directory=/en/hi/&xch=578283961,04KLT3NSOHLT4CSGBJC3EWQ

I guess you should really plan ahead on what you want to do and see while you are there... don't be the type of waiting until you are there to determine what you want to do....that should help you determine if you need the rental or not.

You are well within walking distance of a great mall with excellent restaurants. We stayed elsewhere (Pier 66) for five days , took cabs and buses and did very well and spent far less than rental fees for a car. There is a water taxi stop at the Doubletree and that is a fun and efficient way to travel. Enjoy:)

B.

Where are you getting those prices?? I'm just back and rented from Thrifty for $100, total. for 3 days with an cruise port drop off and shuttle to the ship.

You will be spending more than $100 for cabs, along with too much wait time, in my opinion. I always have a car in Florida- as noted, public transportation just doesn't do it for me.

We always rent even if we stay just one day. We like the flexibility of going anywhere we want to go when we want to go. You'll have a better selection of restaurants, and you could go to Miami Beach or other areas if you wish. Most rental agencies have a shuttle to the port.

It sounds like you got a good deal on the car. You do not really need one at the Gallery One Doubletree for anything in Fort Lauderdale because of the #40 bus and water taxi. But if you want to leave Fort Lauderdale, you'll be glad you have a car. I would spend a day at Sawgrass Mills Mall.

Archived