FINALLY! My really long Victory review 1/17-1/24/10 with MEGA pix!!

scraphappylady

Okay, it is because of this review that I booked a cruise on board the Victory yesterday. I showed my wife the pictures on this review and one other, and she broke down and told me that I could book the cruise!

Isn't Cruise Critic a helpful place to be?

BTW, I was suffering from Post Cruise Depression from our last cruise in November, but miraculously I am better now!

:)

Okay, it is because of this review that I booked a cruise on board the Victory yesterday. I showed my wife the pictures on this review and one other, and she broke down and told me that I could book the cruise!

Isn't Cruise Critic a helpful place to be? I am addicted to this site

BTW, I was suffering from Post Cruise Depression from our last cruise in November, but miraculously I am better now!

I am always suffering from Post Cruise Depression:( but I found a cure for it:). After you get off the ship book another cruise and than you have something to look forward to;). Thats what cure my depression. :D

Isn't Cruise Critic a helpful place to be?

Glad I could help you convince your wife! :D Now, if I could only find a review that would help me to convince the DH and kids - they have their hearts set on Disney next and it might take a lot to change that.

Might just have to book another moms' only cruise with my two best friends, in order to get over my post cruise depression! I'm working on 'em; only time will tell!:p

Once everyone was back on board, we sailed on a little further and anchored off shore for lunch. It was sheer torture to have to look at the beautiful shoreline and gorgeous homes, and realize just how far out of our league they were. If I remember correctly, our guide told us that the one we were closest to

IMG_2650.jpg

rented for $1,000 a day, with a two week minimum stay. If I’m not quite correct on that, I’m not too far off cost-wise. Certainly, not your casual little mini-vacation by any means. Oh, well. At least the views were free.

$1000 a day?? Wow....if only that was the case I'd make it a point to be there a couple weekends every year!

Cove Spring House (pcitured) is the 2nd most expensive villa to rent in Barbados at US $12,500 a night!!

The most expensive one would be Greensleeves at US $15,000 a night.

http://www.covespringhouse.com/

Scraphappy,

Off topic but I lived in Pottstown for 12 years before making the move to CT! Was there last summer for a wedding. Lots of changes, yet lots still the same! Enjoyed your review.

Still OT, but I just gotta respond! Small world - we lived in CT (near Danbury) for 7 years before moving here to near Pottstown. :) We're a little more out in the country now, but have seen a huge building explosion in the years since we first got here. A month after we moved in, they opened a brand new WaWa half a mile down the road. At the time, I couldn't understand what all the fuss and celebration were for (let alone what a WaWa was) . . . now I can't live without it for my morning coffee, breakfast sandwiches and gas! Go figure!!:p

Still get back to Danbury from time to time and it, too, seems just a little more crowded than i remember, after living with much more open space now for so long.

$1000 a day?? Wow....if only that was the case I'd make it a point to be there a couple weekends every year!

Cove Spring House (pcitured) is the 2nd most expensive villa to rent in Barbados at US $12,500 a night!!

The most expensive one would be Greensleeves at US $15,000 a night.

http://www.covespringhouse.com/

Well, chalk it up to our guide being wrong about the house and the cost!!!

Still, whether it would have been $14k for one visit (if our guide was right about the two week minimum), or as listed on the website at $12.5K a night (only $7860/night in the May to October off season;)), it's still waaaaay out of my league. But thanks for the info and the correction! I looked it up online and am now dreaming of winning the lottery so I can go there!:rolleyes:

Hmm, thinking about it, I bet they weren't thrilled having us swim and snorkel right off their beach!:p

Just a big Thank you for your review.

We booked this cruise for our birthday(s). My bride's birthday is 5 days before sailing, mine is the day we sail. We are going with a bunch of friends/family who have sailed on Carnival alot.

I was a bit aprehensive with all the ports, however our tour guide here as opened the windows of the world through her lenses. Again thanks.

Of course now I still have to wait for September to roll around.

Just a big Thank you for your review.

We booked this cruise for our birthday(s). My bride's birthday is 5 days before sailing, mine is the day we sail. We are going with a bunch of friends/family who have sailed on Carnival alot.

I was a bit aprehensive with all the ports, however our tour guide here as opened the windows of the world through her lenses. Again thanks.

Of course now I still have to wait for September to roll around.

Glad you liked the review. Enjoy your birthday(s) cruise!! Just pace yourself and take lots of naps, and the port-a-day nature of the trip won't be too much!

Looking at your signature - your grandmother really had tickets to go on the Titanic, but didn't?!?!?! :eek: That is so eerie, yet so fascinating to think about! Glad she wasn't part of that tragedy!!

This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, reviews I have ever read on these boards! While you almost apologize for being wordy in the beginning, I found your use of the English language to be much like your time in port -- very well planned and put to good use. It was such a pleasure to read and it brought back so many memories of my time on the Victory and a couple of islands that I have cruised to--St. Thomas/St. Maarten.

Your pictures are magnificent!!! You might consider entering some of them in the photo contest that Carnival has each year. You just might win that cruise that so elusively escaped your attempts on your cruise! With what I've seen as the winners of that contest, you would have no problem competing!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to spend the last hour or so reading a very interesting and entertaining review. It was so good, I just couldn't stop once I started and read the entire thing from start to finish. I hope my employer doesn't check my computer and see the time I've spent on this site. I will have plenty of time to take a cruise then! Just no income.

I hope you get to go another another cruise in the very near future just so I can read the review and see more wonderful pictures.............at home of course!

This is definitely one of the best, if not the best, reviews I have ever read on these boards! While you almost apologize for being wordy in the beginning, I found your use of the English language to be much like your time in port -- very well planned and put to good use. It was such a pleasure to read and it brought back so many memories of my time on the Victory and a couple of islands that I have cruised to--St. Thomas/St. Maarten.

Your pictures are magnificent!!! You might consider entering some of them in the photo contest that Carnival has each year. You just might win that cruise that so elusively escaped your attempts on your cruise! With what I've seen as the winners of that contest, you would have no problem competing!

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to spend the last hour or so reading a very interesting and entertaining review. It was so good, I just couldn't stop once I started and read the entire thing from start to finish. I hope my employer doesn't check my computer and see the time I've spent on this site. I will have plenty of time to take a cruise then! Just no income.

I hope you get to go another another cruise in the very near future just so I can read the review and see more wonderful pictures.............at home of course!

Oh, man, now you're really making me blush! I like to think I came by writing naturally (I love it so), but the journalism classes certainly helped!:p You're very well written yourself, btw!

And as for photos, you haven't seen my other 2000 pix that didn't make the cut :rolleyes:, but I am constantly trying to improve. (Thank goodness for the digital age!) And there are quite a few really awesome photographers who post on the other CC boards - Aplmac is one that comes to mind. I especially love his night shots!!

Seriously, though, Carnival has a contest? I might have to check that out. Even though much of the judging that is done for those things is so subjective, I love to see how other people view the world thru the viewfinder!!

But thanks again for the kind words, and as soon as I can manage another cruise, you bet I'll be writing another review!!

The reason why I am getting married on the carnival Victory is because of this post. thanks so much

Wow! Really? :eek: I can't believe my review had that much of an impression! I'm so glad I posted then. And I really hope your experiences onboard are just as wonderful as ours were!!

And congrats on your upcoming wedding! :D I'm sure it's hard to wait until October, but it'll be worth it! Best of luck! And don't forget to write a review when you come back.

• 2 weeks later...

:oThank you soooo much for your detailed review of your adventure on the Victory! Your thread will be a go-to thread for all who are considering this trip. We plan on going next January and your review just confirmed how wonderful it will be.

Thanks again

:oThank you soooo much for your detailed review of your adventure on the Victory! Your thread will be a go-to thread for all who are considering this trip. We plan on going next January and your review just confirmed how wonderful it will be.

Thanks again

You're very welcome! Wish I was going with you!

But I think I'm going to be putting my cruising on hold for a bit :( - DD just brought home a paper from school yesterday. Seems next year is the once-every-three-years high school trip to Germany, for those studying said language. Yep, she wants to go (sooo much, Mom!!). :eek:

Sigh. There goes a big chunk of the cruising budget. At least I have a year to pay for it!

Wow! Really? :eek: I can't believe my review had that much of an impression! I'm so glad I posted then. And I really hope your experiences onboard are just as wonderful as ours were!!

And congrats on your upcoming wedding! :D I'm sure it's hard to wait until October, but it'll be worth it! Best of luck! And don't forget to write a review when you come back.

Thanks so much. I know waiting for october seems like such a long time:rolleyes: Don't worry as soon as I come back I will make sure to post my review.

Loved the review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I also read your Legend review and really enjoyed it. We live in Orlando, so hope to do the Legend one day, since it is so close.

I have a question for you...how do you get your photos the size that you do. I have posted a review of our recent Princess sailing, but despite the fact that I have uploaded the photos to a picasa web album, when I click on the insert image icon (the one that looks like a postage stamps with a yellow background and mountain), and insert the web address for my photos, they come out rather small. I just wondered if there is a trick for making the photos look larger.

Anyway, really enjoyed your reviews and hope your daughter enjoys her trip to Europe. We lived in the UK for 4 years and traveled throughout Europe during our time there and loved it!!

This is my review, so you can see how small the photos are coming out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1180459

Loved the review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I also read your Legend review and really enjoyed it. We live in Orlando, so hope to do the Legend one day, since it is so close.

I have a question for you...how do you get your photos the size that you do. I have posted a review of our recent Princess sailing, but despite the fact that I have uploaded the photos to a picasa web album, when I click on the insert image icon (the one that looks like a postage stamps with a yellow background and mountain), and insert the web address for my photos, they come out rather small. I just wondered if there is a trick for making the photos look larger.

Anyway, really enjoyed your reviews and hope your daughter enjoys her trip to Europe. We lived in the UK for 4 years and traveled throughout Europe during our time there and loved it!!

This is my review, so you can see how small the photos are coming out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1180459

Thanks! Glad you liked both reviews! Both the Legend and Victory were great introductions for us to the Carnival line.

And I enjoyed reading your review as well, especially when you were describing how the waiter offered you a taste of your own wine before pouring out! :p Maybe it's just something they're taught! Nice to get an idea of what Carnival's sister line is like. I'll have to keep it in mind as a future possibility!

As for photo size, they're as big as they are because of the size setting I chose when originally setting up my photo account. (I use Photobucket.) It's been awhile, but I think the size was 640x480. This is what my photos now upload to the site as, and then all I have to do is paste them in as I write my review. Yours actually weren't a bad size, though. I've seen (or rather, haven't been able to see) some that really were postage stamp size, or worse yet, require you to click on the link to be able to see. :(

And as for Germany, thanks for the good wishes and I'm sure DD will love it. I, on the other hand, will be a nervous wreck as my firstborn starts to stretch her wings. :eek: I know it'll be a really good experience for her, but I was just the age she'll be (16) when I first went there, and I remember how my trip went!! :rolleyes: I'm just glad they seem to watch over them much more nowadays!

Thanks so much for the reply. I figured you were the one to ask since you use a SLR camera. Your photos were great! I hope someday to have the time to figure out a SLR, but for right now, I will have to stick with a point and shoot! I will have to look at picasa and try to find the option to resize my photos for next time. Otherwise, I guess I'll be looking into photobucket!

I feel your pain about your daughter's trip. My 15 year old son is going to Scotland this summer with his school for the International Fringe Festival (he is in a theatre magnet school and will be performing). Even though we lived in the UK, he has not been back in several years and I too will be a mess for the 12 days he is gone!

Thanks again for the information regarding the photo sizing!

Thanks so much for the reply. I figured you were the one to ask since you use a SLR camera. Your photos were great! I hope someday to have the time to figure out a SLR, but for right now, I will have to stick with a point and shoot! I will have to look at picasa and try to find the option to resize my photos for next time. Otherwise, I guess I'll be looking into photobucket!

I feel your pain about your daughter's trip. My 15 year old son is going to Scotland this summer with his school for the International Fringe Festival (he is in a theatre magnet school and will be performing). Even though we lived in the UK, he has not been back in several years and I too will be a mess for the 12 days he is gone!

Thanks again for the information regarding the photo sizing!

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence on the pix, but I'm not quite up to an SLR yet! (Still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the huge size of those things, not to mention all of the lenses, etc.)

I'm "making do" :p with my trusty Canon series (yep, I'm a brand snob!), in this instance the PowerShot SX20 IS. And for the underwater stuff, the Canon PS D10.

And to let you in on my little secret . . . it was my DH who actually helped me set up my Photobucket account in the first place. I just kind of batted my eyelashes at him and had him do all the work. But I did actually watch what he did, so now I can do it too!

And kudos to your son! My DD does some local performing, but certainly not on the international level!!

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence on the pix, but I'm not quite up to an SLR yet! (Still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the huge size of those things, not to mention all of the lenses, etc.)

I'm "making do" :p with my trusty Canon series (yep, I'm a brand snob!), in this instance the PowerShot SX20 IS. And for the underwater stuff, the Canon PS D10.

And to let you in on my little secret . . . it was my DH who actually helped me set up my Photobucket account in the first place. I just kind of batted my eyelashes at him and had him do all the work. But I did actually watch what he did, so now I can do it too!

And kudos to your son! My DD does some local performing, but certainly not on the international level!!

Wow, your photos were so good, I just assumed it was a SLR. I used my DD's camera, also a Canon, but the SD 1200 IS. I know it is just an entry level one, but it is better than my 5 year old HP, which they don't even make anymore!

• 6 months later...

your post was awesome! my parents just booked carnival victory for 1/2/10 for a family cruise (11 of us: parents, kids + grandkids). we're celebrating many things, parents turning 50, 30th anniversary, my hubby and i have 10 yrs of wedded bliss...etc. i'm torn between showing my kids these pictures or just letting them be surprised and hearing "mom, this is sooo awesome!" every 2 seconds. they are 4, 6 and 8 yrs old...so i doubt we'll be doing all the excursion you have done, so thank you for all the reviews. someday DH and I will just have to book it again by ourselves, heehee! i have to say i was a little hesitant about a carnival cruise because i had heard they were a party boat, but from the comments of everyone, sounds like this will be a great boat!

Archived