FINALLY! My really long Victory review 1/17-1/24/10 with MEGA pix!!

scraphappylady

Thanks!! Glad to be of help. Been a while since i last revisited this review and it's nice to go back every once in a while and reminisce, as well as see that others find it helpful, too. :)

You'll love the Victory, all of you! And as you can see from my signature, I had such a good time, I'll be back on board again in March! And I love that you can party as much or as little as you like. No one cares (well, as long as you aren't too rowdy, that is :p)

I'm going with my 2 aunts this next time, (although my two kids - ages 15 and 11 - keep complaining that it's their turn next!) and I thought about showing my aunts this review, too, but figured I'd wait and not spoil it. They saw some of our photos from last time, but I love seeing people's faces when they really experience it themselves for the first time. Since they're letting me plan everything, I think we'll do most of the same tours (yes, they were that good!) with just a few exceptions.

So have fun on your trip and congrats on the anniversaries/birthdays! And try and swing it for just you and DH sometime - it's even better that way!

i had a question...we're not alcohol drinkers-but definitely soda pop drinkers. i saw somewhere that each person can bring on 12 cans of soda pop the first day. i was wondering if you ever went to any of the stores at the ports of call and bought stuff? how are the prices? i'm trying to not pay the $48 for a soda card per person.

I wish I could help with port soda prices, but we never bought anything in the various ports (except san juan) unless we were in a restaurant, and you know how they jack up those prices.

We are normally big soda drinkers, too, and didn't want to pay for the soda card, but hated the idea of carrying a lot of soda on board, so we figured we'd bite the bullet and make do with a six-pack of Coke (San juan supermarket and close to "normal" prices) we brought on with us.

And, really, we were very surprised!! Between the guava juice, lemonade and water that was available almost 24/7, we were actually struggling to finish the soda by the end of the week.

If you really still need the fix, definitely carry on your own, though. We just put ours in our checked luggage and had no problems. You might want to double check, though, to see if that policy has changed. I know you now have to put wine in your CARRY ON, not your checked luggage, and am not sure if soda is the same way.

A full view of Victory from the fort.

IMG_2174.jpg

Looking out over the old city

IMG_2180.jpg

While I would have liked to spend all day touring, the skies were beginning to darken again, and I was worried that we would get caught in a downpour. I still wanted to take in more of the festival in the old city.

As we left the fort, we saw this sight. I took it as a good sign.

IMG_2182.jpg

We left the fort and meandered parallel to the docks, into the old city, for awhile, taking in the architecture of the city as we went. Seeing as how there seemed to be no container laws in effect, we also decided “when in Rome . . . “ and ordered a couple of beers and a fried disk of something to munch on from one of the many food stands scattered around. It looked like a big fried tortilla, and I thought it might be made of plantains, but that proved not to be the case. It wasn’t bad, and rather more bland than I would have expected, but it definitely wasn’t plantain. I later learned that it was called “bacalaitos,” in essence a fried cod fish fritter. It hadn’t tasted fishy, though, so this came as a surprise.

We meandered down the Paseo de La Princesa, a very beautiful promenade west of the dock area, and one that I had remembered from my earlier visit to SJ, to the southern tip of Old San Juan, and the Roots fountain, looking out over San Juan Bay, then turned and headed back toward the ship

IMG_3378.jpg

Yes, that last photo WAS sunny - it's actually one that I ended up taking on our return trip to SJ. I know I took another photo of the fountain before embarking, but don't know where it went to. Kinda like those lost socks in the dryer, I guess . . .

As we walked back, I had been trying to find a place to sit for awhile, preferably out of the impending rain, to wait for it to turn dark, so that I could get a nice night photo of our ship before we sailed.

As we passed by Senor Frogs, almost back to the ship, I was mentally listing every "tourist trap" review of the place that I had heard, even while my legs were carrying me inside.

IMG_2183.jpg

You know how some places sound so bad that you just have to see what they’re like for yourself? Well, we were warned! :D

I was born in Puerto Rico and trying to convince wife to visit there or cruise there.

Hello,

Just off the ship yesterday. I can answer the soda question. After you check in with Carnival but before you go through security there is an area where you can buy soda (coke) products, water, wine to carry on and liquor to check. The prices are around $4.75 per six pack. Water is around 6.95 for an eight pack ???? There is also a CVS across the street. My friends got pop there. They said it was cheaper but I don't know how much. It is an easy walk empty handed but carrying pop???? You can easily carry on a 12 pack per person. I would say you could carry on even more but didn't try it so don't know. We didn't finish our pop either (kids had pop cards). I think mostly because it is not convenient in you cabin and there is no refrigerator.

Another note I will add while I am thinking of it (I will do a review later). I just used the hair dryer (snake) the ship provided. It was fine but after no time at all, it was so hot you couldn't hold it without a wash cloth. I have really short hair. Might make difference to someone. Might have also only been mine?

Just thought I would mention

Thanks!! Glad to be of help. Been a while since i last revisited this review and it's nice to go back every once in a while and reminisce, as well as see that others find it helpful, too. :)

You'll love the Victory, all of you! And as you can see from my signature, I had such a good time, I'll be back on board again in March! And I love that you can party as much or as little as you like. No one cares (well, as long as you aren't too rowdy, that is :p)

I'm going with my 2 aunts this next time, (although my two kids - ages 15 and 11 - keep complaining that it's their turn next!) and I thought about showing my aunts this review, too, but figured I'd wait and not spoil it. They saw some of our photos from last time, but I love seeing people's faces when they really experience it themselves for the first time. Since they're letting me plan everything, I think we'll do most of the same tours (yes, they were that good!) with just a few exceptions.

So have fun on your trip and congrats on the anniversaries/birthdays! And try and swing it for just you and DH sometime - it's even better that way!

First I just want to say I NEVER stay with such long reviews....I read the first few pages and leave. In this case, I read every word with excitement, joy and appreciation. I've done many cruises but I so enjoyed your story. You are a wonderful writer and the photos were great, as well.

When in March are you going? My adult granddaughter and I will be on the Victory on March 20-27th and I would be delighted to buy you a drink as a very small thank you for your hard work here.

Hey Jenn!! (I was also on this cruise with Jenn and thought I would add to her response on the soda prices).

I get a soda card also (actually, now it's a sticker they put on your S & S card). DH and I both like sodas, so two 12 packs would not do us for a week. Plus, he got a bottle of Canadian Club from Bon Voyage and he mixes it with Diet Coke. I can tell you that I would hold my S & S card up each time I ordered a Diet Coke, but not 1 bartender ever looked at my S & S card to see if it had a sticker. They just poured and handed it to me.

It was so easy that DH would stop by a bar and get a soda for me or himself. The $48 was nothing to pay compared to paying $2.25 per soda (if we did not have the sticker for unlimited sodas.) So, after a whole week, we definitely got our moneys worth from the soda sticker.

We also went to CVS to pick up some last minute things and we thought the prices were very close to what we pay here at home in NC. So, if you want to buy some sodas to take on-board with you, they were very reasonable.

This was a fabulous cruise!! For anyone who is taking this one in the future, have a wonderful time!!

First I just want to say I NEVER stay with such long reviews....I read the first few pages and leave. In this case, I read every word with excitement, joy and appreciation. I've done many cruises but I so enjoyed your story. You are a wonderful writer and the photos were great, as well.

When in March are you going? My adult granddaughter and I will be on the Victory on March 20-27th and I would be delighted to buy you a drink as a very small thank you for your hard work here.

Mary-

Thank you so much for your very kind offer, but we will be getting on as you get off (we sail the 27th-3rd)!! We always try to board early though, so who knows - we might pass each other in the terminal that day! :p

As for the review, thanks again! I love writing and photography, so this was a great way for me to relive the cruise and pay back some of the wonderful advice I got from others who did this cruise before me!

Now I remember why your (screen) name sounds familiar - we were both checking into the Dolphin Swim/Tortola for our upcoming cruises over on the St. Thomas boards. I think I'm going to do it regardless, but we still have (way too much :() time until we really need to think excursions! C'mon, March - hurry up and get here!

Hello,

Just off the ship yesterday. I can answer the soda question. . . . Another note I will add while I am thinking of it (I will do a review later). I just used the hair dryer (snake) the ship provided. It was fine but after no time at all, it was so hot you couldn't hold it without a wash cloth. I have really short hair. Might make difference to someone. Might have also only been mine?

Just thought I would mention

Thanks for responding about the soda! It's good to get clarification from someone who went more recently that I did. And interesting to note about the hair dryer. Mine never got too hot; just good enough to dry quickly. Go figure!

And I've been reading your review, too, and love it! You have a great sense of humor!! But that woman in the bikini, though . . . . makes you wonder!

• 2 months later...

I saw your review last year before our cruise in May (Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Glory) and I just looked through your pictures again when I saw your review back in the first few pages. I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your pictures, they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

I saw your review last year before our cruise in May (Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Glory) and I just looked through your pictures again when I saw your review back in the first few pages. I just want to let you know how much I enjoyed your pictures, they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks! I'm always a little surprised when it surfaces again, but glad that it's still useful!

And . . . . GO STEELERS!! :D :D :D

Thank you so much for the review. It was wonderful and so very helpful. We are sailing on Victory in May and I really can't wait after reading your review. The excursion info was especially helpful. I appreciated all of the detail. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
Looking toward El Morro fort, about a mile away.

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

Amazing to realize with this photo, just how thick the walls were!

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

HI, we are going on this same cruise in 88 days. I loved your pictures. What kind of cameras did u use underwater and otherwise? ~ Lisa

I love the review! Great pictures too!! I own both of those cameras. I got the Canon Powershot SX20is last summer for our cross country roadtrip to the Grand Canyon. I just bought the Canon D10 last week. I haven't used it yet but so excited to try it out next week. From all the pics I have seen I am gonna love it. With the SX20Is did you shoot in auto mode or did you play around with the functions? I am still learning all the features it has and playing with it.

The swim with the turtles looks amazing. We have a turtle rehab place on Jekyll Island, Ga. We have done a turtle walk twice. Once when the Mama's come lay the eggs and once when they were hatching. It was so neat and fun. If you ever get a chance you have to do a turtle walk. I want to book a southern carribean cruise just to swim with them. It's going to be next.

Thank You for such a wonderful review. I am going to keep coming back to this thread as reference.

Tanya

HI, we are going on this same cruise in 88 days. I loved your pictures. What kind of cameras did u use underwater and otherwise? ~ Lisa

Thanks! Above water, I use the Canon SX 20 IS as my everyday workhorse. The optical zoom is great and it even has the manual setting to play around with if you want! I've thought about getting an SLR, but just can't commit to carrying around all those extra lenses and weight.

Since I went on the Victory last, Canon has come out with the SX 30, which has (I think this is right) 35x optical, even better zoom than the SX20. While I would LOVE to have this one, I can't justify it to my DH. :( But with the SX30, you are no longer in the realm of using just AA batteries, too. With more zoom comes the need for more battery power, and hence the need for a dedicated solid rechargable battery. I'll just stick with my SX20 for now!

Underwater, I used the Canon D10. (Can you tell I like Canon? :D) It gives great shots, the screen is very bright and visible and it works well above water, too. Just make sure to switch the setting off of underwater when you are taking above water shots, or you will get an orange tinge to your pix.

With the SX20Is did you shoot in auto mode or did you play around with the functions?

The swim with the turtles looks amazing. We have a turtle rehab place on Jekyll Island, Ga. We have done a turtle walk twice. Once when the Mama's come lay the eggs and once when they were hatching. It was so neat and fun. If you ever get a chance you have to do a turtle walk. I want to book a southern carribean cruise just to swim with them. It's going to be next.

Thank You for such a wonderful review. I am going to keep coming back to this thread as reference.

Tanya

Glad you liked the review! With my next trip on Victory only six weeks away, I find myself re-reading even more, since waiting is sooooo hard!

With my SX20, I usually kept it on the auto setting, or just played around with a few of the SCN settings, like indoor, night, and beach. I'm still very much a novice in terms of manually setting the f/stop, etc. so I really didn't venture there for my last trip. Might have to try it this time, though.

And I would LOVE to do a turtle walk. They are such amazing creatures! The time we spent snorkeling with them in Barbados was the highlight of the trip for me!! I can't wait to do it again. Yes, definitely do it when you have the chance!

Do you think we should get a bit in euros before heading here? We were planning a pretty light day at Maho beach to check out planes, but I don't want to pay any more for drinks than I have to!

Thanks for the review, it's getting me extremely excited for my upcoming trip. :)

We have been to Maho Beach at least a half a dozen times over the years. To keep your cost down from buying beer or drinks, just before turning the corner to go to Maho beach, there is a store right there on the corner. We've ALWAYS had our driver stop here first or just drop us off, go in the store, buy your beer, booze, pop and 2 bags of ice. When we have a group with us, we split a styrofoam cooler and bring it to Maho with us.

Much cheaper than spending $35.00 for a bucket of beers.

Then of course we spend the next 4-5 hours here watching the planes come in and the boys hang on the fence of course.

Got our own towels, no need to rent chairs, the beach, gorgous gorgous water, and our cooler of drinks, what more could you ask for?

Oh, if we don't buy a cooler, we simple grab a couple of extra plastic bags and ice our own drinks/beers.

To keep your cost down from buying beer or drinks, just before turning the corner to go to Maho beach, there is a store right there on the corner. We've ALWAYS had our driver stop here first or just drop us off, go in the store, buy your beer, booze, pop and 2 bags of ice. When we have a group with us, we split a styrofoam cooler and bring it to Maho with us.

Much cheaper than spending $35.00 for a bucket of beers.

Got our own towels, no need to rent chairs, the beach, gorgous gorgous water, and our cooler of drinks, what more could you ask for?

Oh, if we don't buy a cooler, we simple grab a couple of extra plastic bags and ice our own drinks/beers.

Thank you for this tidbit!

I love finding ways to cut costs, so I can spend it on things that mean more to me!

• 11 months later...

Archived