Ardastra Gardens

kc320

I will be in Nassau in April & am planning to visit the gardens...can anyone tell me about how far they are from the port? I am thinking of taking a cab to the gardens & then walking back to the port area..I am in fairly good shape & try to walk on a daily basis..from the maps I've seen it is a straight walk back...correct?

I will be in Nassau in April & am planning to visit the gardens...can anyone tell me about how far they are from the port? I am thinking of taking a cab to the gardens & then walking back to the port area..I am in fairly good shape & try to walk on a daily basis..from the maps I've seen it is a straight walk back...correct?

That should be a good plan.

Ardastra is a block off the main road, Going back,, it's downhill, making it easy. I'm not a walker and have done this several times. Of course, if you change your mind, you can always hop on the jitney heading to town. They run along the main road all day long from 6am - 6:30 pm.

I would suggest taking a cab. I am sure you could do it and I am sure you would feel "safe" but I would take a cab.

I was there last week and a Horticulturalist, this was a Nassau highlight to see the native plants and the beautiful peacocks and flamingos. At the same rate it was quite depressing for the grounds need mucho maintenance.

I got some great photos and I really enjoyed it!

How much would a cab be each way?

Good question...I think a few years ago we paid $5 each to go to Atlantis..so I'm guessing (hoping) it isn't much more than that... but I will be traveling solo so will probably end up costing me more...

Scubagirl...about how far is it from the gardens back down to the port? More than a mile or two? Downhill sounds good..:D

The walk back should be just over a mile.

Once you hit the main road (about 2 blocks downhill).. you'll walk along the water on the western esplanade. A nice walk..

Yes. It's maybe 20 min or so. Just go down the hill and take a right. No sidewalks coming out so watch for cars. You've got more room on the main road. Couple of decent beaches and nice views across the shallows to some islands. It will be hot.

Note: as you leave Ardastra, to the right (uphill) and across the street is the Botanical Garden. It's only worth 15 min or so but it's free; has a nice belvedere and a huge tree with twisted roots. That's about it.

Karen----I have walked to that area(more or less) and no problem....we walked to Arawak Cay(Scubagirl,thats across the stree,right?? or am i confused?).

We walked on the water side................You can do it..

and you can also catch the jitney(for 1.25 exact change)........I think the number 10 bus goes that way..

Karen----I have walked to that area(more or less) and no problem....we walked to Arawak Cay(Scubagirl,thats across the stree,right?? or am i confused?).

We walked on the water side................You can do it..

and you can also catch the jitney(for 1.25 exact change)........I think the number 10 bus goes that way..

If you walk back from Ardastra.. you would walk 1 block north to West Bay Street and then cross the street to the beach side. Arawak Cay is on your left as you are crossing the street.

It's a pleasant walk in the daytime, especially along the beach (western esplanade).

Im trying to figure out where Ardastra is..............I went to the cricket field(to watch the ships crew play one another).......its on that side of the street,right??

Yes,

If you are at the Cricket Field - facing the water, Chippingham Road is on your left. One/two blocks up Chippingham is Ardastra Gardens, it's on the west side (opposite) of Chippingham Road.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/10-xPiwXbIhGL_V

Crap...I wish I had kept my map from when I was there a few years ago and we walked everywhere. Then I could see what I was talking about.

If we take a cab to Ardastra, how is the walk to the Hilton nearby? Toddler in tow!

Thanks!

Stef

Crap...I wish I had kept my map from when I was there a few years ago and we walked everywhere. Then I could see what I was talking about.

If we take a cab to Ardastra, how is the walk to the Hilton nearby? Toddler in tow!

Thanks!

Stef

Map I created can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1116115

Maybe I should request it be stickied to the first page.

Thanks for the maps...so basically I come out of the gardens & go left & keep walking till I get to the water..then head right for the ships...and carry $1.25 exact change in case I wimp out & need the bus...:D

Just joining this thread - this is great information! so if I'm following everyone's posts, then it appears that one can walk to the gardens (what do they cost to get in?), you can even go over to a botanical gardens that free, you can walk along the water (as shown in pix) & you can go to arawak cay (what is that?) Anything else within walking distance?

Hopefully it won't be to hot...I plan on leaving the gardens before noon...maybe I will get lucky & there will be someone to share a cab back with..if not I'll just take my time...we don't leave port till 11 pm..so I've got plenty of time...:D

You can always take the jitney there............if you have never been on one,they will stop(and pick you up) just about anywhere on the route.........just wave one down

You do need to catch it(heading towards the Gardens) off Bay Street....on a side street before you get to the straw market..........easy to find really..

I take the jitney all the time................

Archived