Immediate Family Member Question

old sole

We are taking 2 grandchildren on a NCL Med cruise. We purchased insurance with Travelex within the timeframe to have pre-existing conditions covered (We're still within that window for another week or so) and we also selected the cancel for any reason coverage. When entering the information about all the travellers, I checked the box certifying that all are immediate family members, because grandchildren do meet that definition on the Travelex policy document.

Only after purchasing the insurance did it dawn on me that I could have a problem. Our grandson was born while his mother was living with us, lived with us until he was 6, and is our grandson is every way that matters - but may not met a legal definition of grandchild if challenged. His mother is not our natural or adopted daughter, we were granted legal guardianship of her when she was a child but we did not adopt her. It breaks my heart to even think of him not being our grandchild, we are very, very close and it honestly didn't even cross my mind that he might not be until after I reviewed the insurance documents.

Has anyone ever run across a similar circumstance? Are we risking having a potential claim denied based on this? If I need to make a change, how do you go about including someone on the policy that they don't consider an immediate family member ?

Are we risking having a potential claim denied based on this? If I need to make a change, how do you go about including someone on the policy that they don't consider an immediate family member ?

On their enrollment form is this: "Maximum limit of 10 immediate family members per policy". But there's usually no problem in having someone who is not an immediate family member on the policy if they're all paying their proper premium. However, with the Travelex policies children under the age of 18 are covered for free if accompanying adults on the policy are immediate family members. One Grandmother and 9 grandkids they'll do. But they absolutely do not want to have one adult and 9 unrelated minors on one policy as that gives them way more risk exposure than they would like.

Give Travelex a call and I think you'll find they're pretty flexible about this in many cases. I had a client about a year ago that was bringing along a neighbor's kid with their own kids on their cruise and needed to know if that kid would also be covered for free. Travelex said they make those kinds of exceptions. But give them a call (better yet email them at customerservice@travelex-insurance.com so you have a response in writing) and let them know the situation so everyone knows you're not hiding anything.

Give Travelex a call and I think you'll find they're pretty flexible about this in many cases. I had a client about a year ago that was bringing along a neighbor's kid with their own kids on their cruise and needed to know if that kid would also be covered for free. Travelex said they make those kinds of exceptions. But give them a call (better yet email them at customerservice@travelex-insurance.com so you have a response in writing) and let them know the situation so everyone knows you're not hiding anything.

Thank you! I took your advice and emailed them. It took 48 hrs, but I did get a response confirming that the "child in question" was covered and there are no issues. That's a load off my mind and I'm glad I brought it up now instead of facing uncertainty in the event we need to file a claim.

Archived