Taxis from east side of the island

Gorilla579

We are thinking about taking a taxi to one of the bars/beaches on the east side of the island and just relaxing all day. I know that we can hire a taxi for the day, but if we just get dropped off somewhere will it be diffuicult to get a taxi back without making prior arrangments?

We are thinking about taking a taxi to one of the bars/beaches on the east side of the island and just relaxing all day. I know that we can hire a taxi for the day, but if we just get dropped off somewhere will it be diffuicult to get a taxi back without making prior arrangments?

It could be difficult. You have to trust that the taxi will return when you asked it to return and the taxi has to assume you'll wait for it and not take any cab. So some drivers don't like to do this or will charge you an extra tariff or make you pay the full round trip fare before getting in the cab, and if he doesn't show up you're out a chunk of change. So it's best to walk around and ask and get everything up front before jumping into a cab. Expect to pay $50-60 RT or more for 2 people depending upon where you want to go.

And know that before looking for a cab. For a beach day, I suggest Punta Morena or Chen Rio. For just drinks and lunch, but not swimming or beach time, add Mezcalitos, Coconuts, Playa Bonita or Bob Marley's Rasta Barto the list. Rasta Bar is closest to the pier from the west side. Mezcalitos and Punta Morena are closest to the transverse road. Coconuts is the highest point on the island with great views and good drinks. Punta Morena and Playa Bonita have the best overall food, IMO, but Rasta Bar has a killer ceviche. there are pleanty of threads and ideas on where to go here, so read up, pick your spot and enjoy the heck outta your day.

I think that you may have a problem just grabbing a cab on the East/Wild side. A good way to spend the day over there is the Bar Hop Bus/Van. Also you can rent a car/cab and driver for about $20 an hour and they will take you anywhere you wish and you will be assured of a ride back to the ship on time. I also second the recommendations for Coconuts and the Rasta Bar. The beaches are beautiful and unspoiled over on the Wild side and a great place to spend a quiet day getting away from all the tourist traps.

if we just get dropped off somewhere will it be diffuicult to get a taxi back without making prior arrangments?

You will be stuck on the East side unless you make arrangements for the driver to return latter to get you. Unlike the at the beach clubs on the west side, taxis don't hang out on the east side waiting for fares. Maybe you could get lucky and get a ride with someone with a rental car......but I wouldn't take a chance on that.

Archived