Quantity of clothes for a 15 day cruise?

LauraBK

My husband and I will be sailing for 15 days on our first cruise next year (Silver Whisper - Norwegian Fjords/Arctic Circle). According to the cruise line, there would be 3 formal nights, 7 informal and 5 casual.

My question is, does everyone pack a different outfit for each day or do you wear the same dress/suit more than once. If I had to pack 10 dresses I dont think I would have enough room for clothes during excursions and just relaxing in the day time. I also dont want to feel like I'm the only one wearing the same dress multiple times.

What do most people do?

Laura, I would think you would take separates. I always take perhaps a pair of basic pants or two, and multiple tops to wear with them. Including evening separates. What about basic black jersey or silk pants, and beaded or silk tops for the formal nights. Silk and jersey pack so well, too - I would think you would need more room for sweaters and warm wear for daytime given your itinerary. Should you need to have things laundered or dry cleaned, you can certainly do that at a fairly reasonable cost.

Laura, you will need a variety of clothing that you can layer depending on what fabrics you prefer and are comfortable wearing. I would seriously look into silk and even washable wool (if you can wear wool) for your basic items. Both travel well.

No you don't need to just wear something once. I always travel wearing a very nice suit that works for many situations. Jacket, skirt and slacks make a very good basic wardrobe that I build around. I travel with only 2 pairs of shoes and one pair of slippers for showering and the pool. Beyond that I have a lot of tops and the usual range of underwear. I also have at least one long, black and dressy skirt that serves me well on formal evenings (with a top of course!) and something to wear over the top to avoid chills.

Please also save room in your packing for your very best skin cream as you don't want wear and tear on your face and hands from wind and sun.

For outdoor wear I have a truly efficient waterproof jacket, gloves, hat and such. A good jacket is a great investment.

Have a ball with your planning!

Layout what you think you will need - and then cut it in half. It works for us. Watch shoes especially because of the weight - 1 pr of dress, 1 pr of formal (if you plan to dress to the nines), and 1 pr of sneakers or hikers (probably worn on the plane). We will be on an Arctic cruise in June and plan to wear layers and be warm. No formal nights so nice "elegant casual" outfits for the evening and expedition wear during the day. I will wear hikers on the plane and take one pr of black dress shoes. I am still deciding whether to buy my own Wellingtons or use the ship's.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I dont really have many formal skirts and fancy tops, I'm more of a dress kind of girl ;)

But I do have 2 black dresses that I can wear with different wraps, etc so they will look different, and then I will only need 1 pair of fancy black shoes.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are Wellingtons?

But I do have 2 black dresses that I can wear with different wraps, etc so they will look different, and then I will only need 1 pair of fancy black shoes.Excuse my ignorance, but what are Wellingtons?

A black dress with different coloured or textured wraps is perfect, u can also dress up or down with different types of jewellery.

Wellingtons are a type of rubber boot.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Wellies are awful heavy for travel! If you can borrow some I would do that and save the weight in your luggage.

If we buy our own boots (I can't picture anything worse than starting the first shore excursion in ill-fitting boots), we plan to have them in our carry-ons instead of packed. In fact, we plan to carry-on as much of the expedition wear as possible in duffles or soft-sided luggage.

If we buy our own boots (I can't picture anything worse than starting the first shore excursion in ill-fitting boots), we plan to have them in our carry-ons instead of packed. In fact, we plan to carry-on as much of the expedition wear as possible in duffles or soft-sided luggage.

Check the airline rules. Many outside the US only allow around 10 kg (some only 6kg). I found a 16" roller accepted in many different countries. They never weigh men's back-packs either.

Have a great time. I remember when you booked this cruise last year!

Archived