Towel issues

Craig_K

Just some thoughts and tips regarding the $20 fee for towels not being returned.

The good is that it does seem to cut down on lounge hogs. We never had a problem getting a spot by the pool last week. Sometimes we had to settle for a chair rather than a lounge, but for the most part, we were able to be at the pool of our choice, when we wanted.

The problem is that sometimes your towel can disappear for one reason or another and it then becomes YOUR responsibility for that fee. For example, one time my kids were in the water, came out and their towel was gone. We were not reserving chairs or anything. Just in the water having a good time swimming. When I explained to the towel people all I got was "I am sorry, but if you don't return the towel, for whatever reason, you are responsible for the $20."

This is where the situation can get bad. I saw other people with the same problem and they were taking other people's towels for themselves just so they would have something to return.

What I ended up doing was going around the back of the towel hut, and reaching around into the used towel bin to pull one out when they were not looking. Then I walked around and was able to have a towel to return.

Just my thoughts, tips and experience.

Like you, we thought the towel process was a good idea from a "chair hogs" perspective. But during the week-long cruise, it was rarely accurate for us. One time, they had us listed as taking out 4 towels when we had 2. Another time, they had us listed as taking out 2 towels when we had 4. Another time, we had 4 towels but they didn't have us in the system with any towels! (We kept those 4 towels in a pile on our balcony as "insurance" in case the system showed us short at the end of the cruise!) Yet another time, the computers weren't working, so they told us to just go ahead and take the towels. I don't know how they can really hold anyone accountable when the system lacks accuracy.

At 1 time we had 3 of 4 just walked up thru in bin and said 4.We didnt bring any home so I wouldnt pay.There were not to many just hanging around on chairsI think they are just looking to control lose and hogs

I am thinking of taking a few towels of my own so that I won't have to worry about signing towels in and out.:rolleyes:

Each day after towel use, we exchanged towels for clean towels, not having to worry about it in the AM the next day. We also did bring our own beach towels and used those during shore excursions. The system really seemed to work, but we never did leave our towels out.....

The problem is RCI is making up fake unreturned towel charges. Happened to my dad so get a written receipt when ever you return a towel or its your word against theirs and you know who will win on that and watch your statement for the made up charges.

Is it just me, or does this whole issue seem ludicrous? Towel taking, sneaking them out of the return towel basket, keeping extras, receipts and $20 dollar charges. Seems to me RCI needs a better system. I really don't want to be harrassed over towels on my cruise and I certainly don't want to take up valuable luggage space bringing my own. This didn't seem to be a problem on Disney, why is it such an issue for RCI?

Is it just me, or does this whole issue seem ludicrous? Towel taking, sneaking them out of the return towel basket, keeping extras, receipts and $20 dollar charges. Seems to me RCI needs a better system. I really don't want to be harrassed over towels on my cruise and I certainly don't want to take up valuable luggage space bringing my own. This didn't seem to be a problem on Disney, why is it such an issue for RCI?

It's also not a problem on Celebrity or HAL there are stacks of towels by the pool use all you want no checking in and out no fake made up $20 charges no hastles

It's also not a problem on Celebrity or HAL there are stacks of towels by the pool use all you want no checking in and out no fake made up $20 charges no hastles

But are chair hogs an issue on those cruise lines? RCI is attempting to tame this issue with the towel charges.

I didn't see any reduction on that chair hog activity while on ship. In fact it wasn't working. I gave up on finding a lounge. Solarium was packed to the rafters. Forget poolside seatings. There was absolutely no attempts on the staff's behalf of enforcing the 30 minutes rule.

Archived