Capt. Marvins,Native Way or Sotos?

Micktooth

I am trying to plan our excursion on Grand Cayman for the March 27 sailing of the Conquest. I have heard great things about all three of the above companies. My wife and I and our 11 yo son would like to snorkel and then maybe relax on a beach. I cannot decide which company to go with. Any information and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all!

Dave:)

We can strongly recommend Nativeway Watersports. They were fanttastic with us in August - great, fun crew, professional, and half the price of the ships tour! There were only 8 on our boat, which made for a much more personalized tour. Our daughter was absolutely terrified of being with the stringrays, but the guys swore they'd have her wearing one like a hat at the end. They were right! Now my daughter (14) says that was the highlight of our entire cruise.

Highly recommended!

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

We used Captain Marvin's and had a great time with the sting rays. The best part is not having to compete with 100's of other people on the tour. They only book a small number of people per boat and the guides are great. We highly recommend Captain Marvin.

Also, if I recall, Captain Marvin himself was our captain. At least that is what the man called himself. What a neat man.

I vote for nativeway, we used them on our Paradise cruise. They were very professional and there were only about 15 in our group... The Carnival excursion looked like a can of sardines...Also the guide from Nativeway was very informative...

On our Conquest cruise in late December, I wanted to do Capt Marvin's because of what I had read in these posts. However, I found the information practically at the last minute, and although I called the number on their website repeatedly, I couldn't get through. So I emailed them, but their response arrived after I left California to fly to New Orleans. (It was just too late and it was Christmas week when I tried to contact them.) Therefore, unwilling to wait and see if they had any "drop-in" availability for the sting ray excursion when we reached Grand Cayman, I went ahead and booked the ship's excursion there as soon as we boarded (it was literally the first thing I did).

This may not apply since you're cruising in March, but when we arrived in Grand Cayman, the sea was unsafe in the sting ray area and our ship-sponsored $65 per person excursion was cancelled! We all showed up dressed to go at 8am, only for them to tell us that it was cancelled, all other excursions were full, and to have a nice day.

Stunned, we left the ship in hopes of finding a tour or excursion of some kind on the pier. I didn't bring the info I had about Capt Marvin's (I left it in my cabin, assuming they would be cancelled also or full). But the vendors on the pier did not inspire confidence in me, and one of them was even selling tours to Sting Ray City for $35 each. Seeing this and no other options, I told my daughter we should look for Capt Marvin's. I thought I might remember how to get there from my websurfing, and we could ask them at the office if the water was safe.

Sure enough, I was able to find it because I remembered the photo of the building I had seen on their website. It was no more than 2 blocks (five minutes walk) from the pier, heading towards the left. Once there, we learned their sting ray tours were also cancelled due to safety. I was so glad I didn't trust the pier vendor.

But what I did NOT remember was that Capt Marvin has many other tours. The employees there were kind and efficient, the office was large and immaculate. They had a bathroom we could use and even sold souvenirs or post cards there, but it simply was not cluttered or commercialized. We were able to book another tour (to the turtle farm and the town of hell) immediately. The guide was VERY professional and explained so much about the island. We got a nice tour of what it looks like. The shuttle was large and comfortable. On our way back, the guide let some people off to go directly to the beach. We also had time to shop in town when we returned.

The whole tour was SO worth it and cost $19 each.

The lesson I learned from all of this is to have a back-up plan in case for some reason the activity you want just cannot come about. I imagine you won't have weather risks in March, but I don't know for sure. Using a company that offers other options is a good idea if all other factors are similar.

Have a wonderful time!

Mimii

Mimii-

Thanks for the info. on Capt. Marvin. Since we swam with the Stingrays the last time we were in Grand Cayman, we weren't sure whether we were going to do an excursion through the ship, or just go to the beach. We may try Capt. Marvin for a different excursion as well; your experience sounded great.

Bobbi

We went with Captain Marvins also & had an awesome time....one of the highlights of our trip. Very professional, very friendly, helpful ....I've also heard good things about Native Way also. I really don't think you could go wrong either way. Go & enjoy...it's definately worth the unique experience!

Thank you for all of your informative responses. I guess I really can't go wrong with any of the big 3 companies. I think I've narrowed it down to Native Way and Capt. Marvins. I think I read in one post where some of Capt. Marvins boats were damaged in Ivan. I'll check again. Thanks y'all!

Our group used Capt. Marvin and had a great time. They even radioed for a taxi for my two daughters and their guys to meet them at the boat dock to take them sightseeing instead of riding the shuttle back to town.

But I cannot imagine that any of the reputable guide services that you mentioned would not offer the same great service and value. Book whichever one you like and you WILL have a great time in Cayman.

I have used Capt. Marvin's twice and found their tour and service to be fantastic...we took the snorkeling tour both times and were impressed. The first trip included a young woman with Down's Syndrome and the staff was in the water with her and even brought a stingray back to the boat for her to pet.

The second time included my very young granddaughter who was in a stroller and tended to while we were in the water by one of the staff...they were also great with my then 5 year old granddaughter and made sure she had a great time.

Last February we couldn't pull into Georgetown because the seas were too rough. They brought us around to Spot's Bay and tendered us on to a little fishing pier. (Worst crusie experience ever!) We had booked through NAtiveway and we were worried about how to get in touch with them. There was no need to worry. They were there waiting for us and took us out on our excursion. Our guides were two young men who were wonderful. Our friend was feeling a little seasick and they brought her Bonine. They let our ds and his friend drive the boat for awhile, and they really worked hard to get my younger ds in the water with the stingrays. After we had arrived at their dock my brother and SIL decided they wanted to go into Georgetown to eat and shop instead and they not only gave them their money back, but they also offered to drive them back to town for free. Then, as we were getting off the boat, they offered my other SIL and friend a chunk of their fee back because they had decided not to get in the water at Stingray City. These are all little things, but they added up to great service.

Tammy

I've used them on three occasions and they have been wonderful. :) Sharon has always been the one I've been in contact by email and she is extremely friendly and accommodating. They pick us up at the ship's pier and will drop you off at Seven mile beach, or back to the pier...your choice.

Sunnye

Archived