everglades

cruisdog

Just did it this past Saturday, and I thought it was a very worthwhile way to pass the time. We saw 4 gators on the airboat tour (2 far off sunning themselves on islands, one very close sunning itself right next to the water, and another swimming within 20 or so feet of us), plus lots of gorgeous birds and scenery. Afterward we got to see a demonstration of alligator wrestling/Seminole alligator hunting techniques, and there was an opportunity to get our pictures taken holding a baby alligator. It was lots of fun.

Everglades tour is great, it is approximately 30 minutes almost directly west of port everglades, you may also want to look into the water taxi, those two will give you a great tour of the real south florida... you can search either on this forum and will get lots of information..

Just did it this past Saturday, and I thought it was a very worthwhile way to pass the time. We saw 4 gators on the airboat tour (2 far off sunning themselves on islands, one very close sunning itself right next to the water, and another swimming within 20 or so feet of us), plus lots of gorgeous birds and scenery. Afterward we got to see a demonstration of alligator wrestling/Seminole alligator hunting techniques, and there was an opportunity to get our pictures taken holding a baby alligator. It was lots of fun.

Everglades tour is great, it is approximately 30 minutes almost directly west of port everglades, you may also want to look into the water taxi, those two will give you a great tour of the real south florida... you can search either on this forum and will get lots of information..

Which Everglades tours are the ones you two are talking about? There are so many on the internet, please let us know which one you guys were on. Thanks!

there are only two that are anywhere near Port Everglades, Holiday Park and Sawgrass Park. I would probably recommend Holiday Park, as it is a little more built up, and also happens to be the closer one.

Holiday Park - http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/

Sawgrass Park - http://www.evergladestours.com/

I've talked to sawgrass park in the past, and I know their prices, do you know how much it is for Holiday Park? There's no prices on their website. Gator Park is one that has been highly recommended to us, so we're just comparing right now.

Holiday park is $22.50 for adults, and there is a coupon on their website for $3 off (I think it's $3). Gator Park is pretty far away from FLL, probably a good 50 minutes away or so..

We are flying in a couple days pre-cruise, so time is not a factor. IF you had a whole day to sightsee, would you recommend Gator Park over Holiday Park? They will come and pick us up and drop us back off for $59 round trip which includes the $21.99 admission to the park. Sawgrass will charge us $65 and from what you posted they are much closer so I don't know why they're more expensive????

Thanks so much for answering my questions! I really appreciate it.

I've never done the Gator Park airboat rides, but the everglades is the everglades, so the sights won't be much different... What may be different, is the airboat itself... Holiday park uses a huge airboat, that is covered and seats around 25 people (thats a guess)... If Gator Park uses a 6 person or less airboat, then the ride would be much different..

But don't mistake that to mean the bigger airboat is bad, they have dual engines and the thing flies, and they usually do a little swaying around (back and forth) to get a good ride...

If I had a visitor coming to town and had a full day to plan, I would take them on a airboat ride at Holiday park (or sawgrass), and then go to the water taxi for the remainder of the day...

If you don't have transportation, check for car rentals in the area, I checked for a 2 day rental (off airport site, about 2 miles away from airport) for $44 total for two days in April, including taxes, and that will give you the flexibility to do what you want, and not much additional $$ than paying for travel to and from the airboat tour.

Archived