I Waited Too Long to Book a Cartegena Tour--Suggestions?

aussiegirl

I know I should have tried to book a tour in Cartegena months ago, but I didn't. I contacted Dora, Claudia and Lee Miles today about a personal tour on April 13th, but got regrets from both Dora and Claudia. Claudia mentioned 2 large cruises would be in town that day, so I'm not too hopeful about a positive reply from Lee Miles.

Anyway, my husband and I would like a private or semi-private tour that encompassed a tour of the Castillo, the Cathdral and a walking tour of the city and does NOT include any shopping. My husband speaks fluent Spanish, but me less so, therefore, we would prefer an English-speaking guide.

Has anyone ever gotten a good guide just by choosing someone at the cruiseport? How much should we expect to pay for a 3 - 4 hour tour? Do they have licensed guides in Cartegena? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

I know I should have tried to book a tour in Cartegena months ago, but I didn't. I contacted Dora, Claudia and Lee Miles today about a personal tour on April 13th, but got regrets from both Dora and Claudia. Claudia mentioned 2 large cruises would be in town that day, so I'm not too hopeful about a positive reply from Lee Miles.

Anyway, my husband and I would like a private or semi-private tour that encompassed a tour of the Castillo, the Cathdral and a walking tour of the city and does NOT include any shopping. My husband speaks fluent Spanish, but me less so, therefore, we would prefer an English-speaking guide.

Has anyone ever gotten a good guide just by choosing someone at the cruiseport? How much should we expect to pay for a 3 - 4 hour tour? Do they have licensed guides in Cartegena? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Just as you exit the gate there are many courteous, well groomed licensed guides that you can inquire from.

They are of course way lower than the ship`s tours.

Enjoy!!!

Enjoy the Island, we just got back and had ablast!! We loved Cartajena! There will be many guides at the gate to offer you a guided tour. make sure you agree on a price first. there are many wonderful sites in Cartajena. Some of the sites will have an admission fee, find out what that is and if it is included in your guides fee.

Have fun!!!

Just as you exit the gate there are many courteous, well groomed licensed guides that you can inquire from.

They are of course way lower than the ship`s tours.

Enjoy!!!

I remember seeing a post about $20 for just the Taxi and take it to Fort First.

I was wondering also if anyone had contracted one of the guides and about how much they paid as well?

I remember seeing a post about $20 for just the Taxi and take it to Fort First.

I was wondering also if anyone had contracted one of the guides and about how much they paid as well?

Last time in Cartagena, about a month ago, my tour lasted about3-4 hours and I paid the guide US $60, went all over Old City, San Felipe Fort, the new city, etc... It was a very complete tour having someone wait for you at all desired stops along the way.

• 1 month later...
Was that $60 per person?

Our experience in Cartagena on Apr 2, 2010: We hired a taxi (not a guide) for $50 total. There were two of us. We asked to go to La Popa, the fortress and the old city.

Our taxi driver drove us first to La Popa. He waited outside with all of the other taxis and tour buses. It was $4 per person to get on to the grounds of the monastery where we saw the magnificent views of the entire city. I'm not sure if there was an additional charge to actually walk into the monastery. We seemed to walk right passed a lady at a table (not sure what she was there for). The courtyard inside the monastery is very pretty and there are restrooms but no towels to dry your hands. On the steep drive up to the monastery there were "policia" seemingly every 50 yards, some of them were heavily armed. I never felt concerned or threatened the entire day. We were there for maybe 30 or 45 minutes. There are local vendors hounding you until you go inside the grounds where they are not allowed.

Our taxi driver proceeded to the fortress. We informed him that we were simply taking a photo stop and not going inside. He said he would be waiting for us. He waited across the street in a local establishment with other taxi drivers. We walked nearly around the entire fortress and again spotted "policia" everywhere.

We then proceeded to the old city. Our taxi driver dropped us off near Santo Domingo Plaza. We agreed on a time that gave us a couple of hours. He waited in a shaded area with other taxi drivers while we self-guided ourselves around the various plazas, admired the architecture, people-watched, walked the wall, etc.

Once we were finished we met our taxi driver. He asked if there was anything else that we wanted to see or do. We declined and we returned to the ship.

This is exactly the kind of shore excursion that we enjoy. No pre-determined time frame. Spend as much or as little time you want at any particular attraction. Sure, we might miss out on information that a guide may provide but I had done some previous research on the history of the town.

About the port: There was a short walk of maybe 5-10 minutes to the welcome center. Celebrity provided shuttles but we skipped the lines and walked as did many others. The welcome center is a lovely air-conditioned shopping area but not your typical street vendor type shops. Browse the shops without constant pressure. There are restrooms available. There was a bird sanctuary outside where we saw toucans and other colorful birds. This area is very heavily shaded with trees and is comfortable. Once you walk outside the welcome center be prepared to be hounded by white shirted guides. As I mentioned, we were not interested in the guided tours. About 20 yards further from the white shirted guides were the blue shirted taxi drivers behind a wall. We proceeded to this area where we negotiated the taxi trip that we wanted. The taxi we were in was a small car that couldn't have more than two in the back seat and another in the front passenger seat. However, it was a new and very clean car that our taxi driver took very good care of. Our driver was late 50's and spoke limited english. We did not communicate in complete sentences but in short phrases and keywords. We paid our driver $50 plus a tip at the end of the trip. He seemed very appreciative, was always cordial and accommodating and proud of his city.

We ended up having an excellent tour in Cartegena with a man named Jacinto Jimenez Taborda (who asked us to just call him "JJ"). I found him through a recommendation on Trip Advisor and corresponded with him through email and talked with him on the telephone as well. He sounded like a good choice to do the type of tour we wanted and he exceeded our expectations.

JJ met us right on time at the cruiseport and drove us around the city in a clean, late-model, air-conditioned car. (We arranged for a private tour, but he can do group tours as well in a minibus.) As we are interested in Colombian politics and economics, JJ freely answered our questions as we drove from place to place. He also included a lot of Colombia's history.

Our first stop was at the La Popa Monastery where he gave us a guided tour and pointed out a lot of sites in Cartegena from that vantage point. He explained the history of the site, including the story of the "Golden Goat".

Next, we went to the Castillo de San Felipe. While many tours will just do a photo-stop here, JJ walked us up the steep ramp and gave us a full tour of the site, including a walk through one of the many tunnels, which is something that a large tour can't do because of the limit on the number of people allowed in the tunnels.

Our next stop was at the Walled City where we had an excellent tour through the streets. He stopped at many small places and explained their significance in the town. We also had a tour of the Cathedral of San Pedro Claver and he took us to some parts of the Cathedral not visited by most tours (and unaccessible to large groups). It was clear as we walked through the Old Town that JJ was well-known there.

Our final part of the tour was a drive through the New City before returning to our cruiseship. The tour lasted about 3.5 hours and we saw even more than I had requested that we see. We had mentioned to JJ when we booked our tour that we were not interested in shopping and at no time did he try to steer us into a store. Also, JJ made sure we had time for photos and was happy to take photos of us as well.

JJ's command of English was very good and at no time did we have any problem understanding him. Should you want to arrange a tour with him, you may contact him via email at: jacinto-200@hotmail.com or by phone at (57) 312-607-7393.

• 2 months later...
We ended up having an excellent tour in Cartegena with a man named Jacinto Jimenez Taborda (who asked us to just call him "JJ"). I found him through a recommendation on Trip Advisor and corresponded with him through email and talked with him on the telephone as well. He sounded like a good choice to do the type of tour we wanted and he exceeded our expectations.

JJ met us right on time at the cruiseport and drove us around the city in a clean, late-model, air-conditioned car. (We arranged for a private tour, but he can do group tours as well in a minibus.) As we are interested in Colombian politics and economics, JJ freely answered our questions as we drove from place to place. He also included a lot of Colombia's history.

Our first stop was at the La Popa Monastery where he gave us a guided tour and pointed out a lot of sites in Cartegena from that vantage point. He explained the history of the site, including the story of the "Golden Goat".

Next, we went to the Castillo de San Felipe. While many tours will just do a photo-stop here, JJ walked us up the steep ramp and gave us a full tour of the site, including a walk through one of the many tunnels, which is something that a large tour can't do because of the limit on the number of people allowed in the tunnels.

Our next stop was at the Walled City where we had an excellent tour through the streets. He stopped at many small places and explained their significance in the town. We also had a tour of the Cathedral of San Pedro Claver and he took us to some parts of the Cathedral not visited by most tours (and unaccessible to large groups). It was clear as we walked through the Old Town that JJ was well-known there.

Our final part of the tour was a drive through the New City before returning to our cruiseship. The tour lasted about 3.5 hours and we saw even more than I had requested that we see. We had mentioned to JJ when we booked our tour that we were not interested in shopping and at no time did he try to steer us into a store. Also, JJ made sure we had time for photos and was happy to take photos of us as well.

JJ's command of English was very good and at no time did we have any problem understanding him. Should you want to arrange a tour with him, you may contact him via email at: jacinto-200@hotmail.com or by phone at (57) 312-607-7393.

Hi Aussie girl! The tour you had with JJ sounds like something my daughter & I would like to do. Did you have to send him a payment before you left for the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
Should you want to arrange a tour with him, you may contact him via email at: jacinto-200@hotmail.com or by phone at (57) 312-607-7393.

We have had contact with JJ.... I thought he was $60 for cab of up to 3 people, not sure where I got that from. But his email said that he charges $90 per person.. that's as much as the cruise ship!

What did you pay and what more can you tell us?

Judi :)

We have had contact with JJ.... I thought he was $60 for cab of up to 3 people, not sure where I got that from. But his email said that he charges $90 per person.. that's as much as the cruise ship!

What did you pay and what more can you tell us?

Judi :)

That is insane!!! I really hope people are not paying him that much. Good for him though if they are. A minimum wage worker in Colombia makes about $250 USD a month. So you do the math. This guy must be living a great life.

That is insane!!! I really hope people are not paying him that much. Good for him though if they are. A minimum wage worker in Colombia makes about $250 USD a month. So you do the math. This guy must be living a great life.

Globalwife,

What do you think is reasonable price per person for trip for four persons with a guide. Because what I read on this forum about Lee Miles, Dora, Claudia they all charge around 60 dollar per person for a trip with four persons and go down to 40 if you are with more persons. At least that is what I figured out at this forum. But maybe I'm intepreting it wrong. Looking forward to your opinion and tips and tricks.

Globalwife,

What do you think is reasonable price per person for trip for four persons with a guide. Because what I read on this forum about Lee Miles, Dora, Claudia they all charge around 60 dollar per person for a trip with four persons and go down to 40 if you are with more persons. At least that is what I figured out at this forum. But maybe I'm intepreting it wrong. Looking forward to your opinion and tips and tricks.

That is great that they are making so much money. Maybe I should move to Cartagena and work as a guide there for cruise ship passengers. Haha!

But seriously. Most tours in Colombia cost between 20,000 pesos ($10 USD) and 50,000 pesos ($25 USD) with a group. Sometimes the price will include a lunch or entrances and other times it won't. I would think with a smaller group (4 people) for a four hour tour one would be overpaying at 50,000 ($25 usd) per person. I have seen that some people pay really high prices on here just to take a cab to town. The rate from right outside the port is about 6,000 pesos ($3 usd) to the old city. The fort is a short cab ride from there, less than 4,000 pesos ($2 Usd), The only expensive part that the tours go on is to get to La Popa. The rate card shows a rate of about 50,000 pesos ($25 usd) due to the steep hill and danger involved for the cab drivers. By the way, the rates are for the ride...not per person. You can fit 3 adults comfortably in a Colombian cab and more if you don't mind squeezing a bit. Many cab drivers in Cartagena speak some English. We were last there in January and there were tons of drivers giving small tours around town while we were there. I'm sure there is an official hourly rate for cab drivers but not sure what it is in Cartagena. Here in the city I live in, they use meters.

So unless, that tour for $90 a person is including gourmet meals, a full day tour, all inclusive drinks, all entrances, shopping credit, etc. they are over paying.

Oh and that lemonade on the side walk that they will sell you for $1 USD a cup only cost us 1,000 pesos (50 cents) so when you think you are happy that they are taking your dollars, just know their exchange rate is really bad for you. (I had just bout a glass when a cruise passenger walked over and bought one and got the gringo price.) Oh and I am very gringa by the way...just had my Colombian husband with me, which helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Globalwife,

we hired a mini bus for 8 people inside the secure port area on our recent coral princess cruise.they asked for $200 for the mini bus for 5 hrs & we ended up paying $100 for the tour with guide for all 8 of us.$12 p/p.

we paid our own admission fees to la popa & fort.we got back with plenty time to spare.we copied the lee miles tour and did it on our own at half the price.

I just wanted to add that you should wait and get the cab OUTSIDE the gate. They charge more if you get the guy inside the gate who speaks English and then puts you with a driver who knows about 3 phrases in English-Enough to get you in the cab thinking you have a tour with an English speaking driver. We also paid at the end of the tour and not until back at the port even though the driver wanted us to pay sooner.

Enjoy the Island, we just got back and had ablast!! We loved Cartajena! There will be many guides at the gate to offer you a guided tour. make sure you agree on a price first. there are many wonderful sites in Cartajena. Some of the sites will have an admission fee, find out what that is and if it is included in your guides fee.

Have fun!!!

Cartagena is an island?

we hired a mini bus for 8 people inside the secure port area on our recent coral princess cruise.they asked for $200 for the mini bus for 5 hrs & we ended up paying $100 for the tour with guide for all 8 of us.$12 p/p.

we paid our own admission fees to la popa & fort.we got back with plenty time to spare.we copied the lee miles tour and did it on our own at half the price.

Hi Aussie Cruzer,

Greetings from the Sunshine Coast.

Thanks for your info. DH and I will be on Island Princess, sailing 5th Dec, 2010, and will take you advice and wait and try and do what you did. Did you have to haggle furiously to get your price of $100 for all 8? Was it easy to secure another 6 passengers.

It is our first trip to the Panama and also on Island, so very much looking forward to it, and escaping our winter. Doing it tough this year.

Thanks again.

Nicki

• 1 month later...
Hi Aussie Cruzer,

Greetings from the Sunshine Coast.

Thanks for your info. DH and I will be on Island Princess, sailing 5th Dec, 2010, and will take you advice and wait and try and do what you did. Did you have to haggle furiously to get your price of $100 for all 8? Was it easy to secure another 6 passengers.

It is our first trip to the Panama and also on Island, so very much looking forward to it, and escaping our winter. Doing it tough this year.

Thanks again.

Nicki

the vendors are full on,we had 6 adults from aus on the cruise and we found 2 japanese who were very stressed at port.if you join your roll call for your cruise you should be able to share the cost.most people had tours booked. i wouldn't rely on finding people at the port to share.if you only have 2 people, i would book a tour with the cruise line.we were lucky we had six to start with.

If you want to do it yourself just go out of the terminal building still in the secure area and talk to the many people selling tours.if you are only two people get a car & driver which would be less than what we paid for mini bus.we followed the lee miles itinerary la popa, fort ,dungeons,and returned with plenty of time to spare.

Archived