What to do in ports?

SugarStar00

I've never cruised before and I'm a little confused on what to expect at the ports. I know you can sign up for excursions but what if you don't want to? Or what if you finish your excursion early and still have a few hours in port? Are there free beaches and shopping in walking distance? or do you have to take a cab somewhere? Do the beaches have bars and food stands? Are there lockers or anything available at the ports to lock up belongings if you decide to go for a swim? Can you go from the port back to the boat and back to the port easily? Also, I was hoping to do more than one excursion at a single port but it seems the times all overlap and this isn't possible, does anyone try to do two in a day? I know these are probably stupid questions but I really have no idea what to expect. :confused:

Thanks -Jen

I've never cruised before and I'm a little confused on what to expect at the ports. I know you can sign up for excursions but what if you don't want to? Or what if you finish your excursion early and still have a few hours in port? Are there free beaches and shopping in walking distance? or do you have to take a cab somewhere? Do the beaches have bars and food stands? Are there lockers or anything available at the ports to lock up belongings if you decide to go for a swim? Can you go from the port back to the boat and back to the port easily? Also, I was hoping to do more than one excursion at a single port but it seems the times all overlap and this isn't possible, does anyone try to do two in a day? I know these are probably stupid questions but I really have no idea what to expect. :confused:

Thanks -Jen

Hopefully this can help a bit: You don't even have to get off the ship in any port if you don't want to. (except for the disembarkation port, of course) Often some passengers are going on their umpteenth time on that itinerary, and stay onboard to sunbathe, go to the spa, or do some laundry. It's your choice.

If you do get off the ship, you have different choices. You can go on an excursion offered by the ship. You can pre-book an excursion from another company. You can often find many booths and kiosks offering excursions at the pier. You can go into town and do sightseeing on your own. If it's a place with beaches, you can go to a beach.

You don't have to stay off the ship the whole time in port. Some people will do an excursion or some shopping and return to the ship for lunch. And maybe leave the ship for another go at it. Some will stay in port and eat locally.

For me, research is the key. I'll try to read frommers and Fodors and other guide books to see what kind of attractions would appeal to my family. Before our Alaskan cruise, I was reading outloud to my hubby some passages about the pass that the gold miners took to get from and to Skagway. He said let's see what excursions go up there, and when the excursions became available (usually it's about 7 to 120 days ahead of the cruise when you can start booking online at princess.com; if you join your roll for your cruise, you can be kept up to date), we booked the van tour, which was excellent.

You can also go to the various websites for each port (just google). Some will offer to send you a brochure; some have something online to read.

What to remember about excursions: if you book one thru Princess, and there's any problem with the vehicle, etc., the ship will usually wait for you. That happened with our Skagway tour mentioned above -- the weather conditions caused us to get back late, but the ship waited for our group.

With ship-booked excursions, you can decide up to a couple of days (check your tickets for the drop date) to cancel (there's a box for dropping your ticket envelope). You won't be charged until you take the excursion.

If you pre-book with a company, make sure you know the cancellation policy (that you won't be charged anything if the ship doesn't make it into that port -- which can happen). Also make sure you have a phone number to contact if that happens or if you can't otherwise make it.

If there's anything involving physical action, make sure you research the company ahead of time.

No matter what you plan to do, make sure you check your watch against the ship's time before you leave the ship. Make sure you bring the proper ID and a copy of the Patters, the daily newsletter you'll get in your cabin every night. There'll be important info as to when you absolutely have to be back on the ship (don't be late) and port agent info, just in case you do have a problem.

If it's a docked port, you can just walk off the ship after it's docked. Just follow the signs to the correct gangway, but be prepared to wait if you want to be one of the first off. If it's a tender port (where the ship has to anchor away from the pier), those with ship excursions for that morning, those with elite status, and probably those in full suites, will get first priority. Anyone else will need to get a numbered ticket for at least the first hour or two to get on the little boats that will take you to the shore. Something to remember if you want to book an early morning indy excursion.

Archived