NCL has the least scenic sailing route in Alaska?

oliverweagle

Budget Queen, in an earlier post, made the following statement: (sorry - I have not figured out how to cut and paste the original posting)

"A significant factor, is with NCL, and their current- only, round trip Seattle itineraries, these are the LEAST scenic sailing routing of Alaska cruises. Essentially you have 2 sea days.

It remains to be seen, IF the Star, will do a scenic sailing route. Last year they did a 4 week trial, which was spectacular, but I did hear, some of the later sailings did go back to the open ocean route."

Can Budget Queen or someone else 'splain what this means? If I look at 2011 Alaska itnerary, 7 day Glacier Bay round trip Seattle, the Pearl appears to sail the inside passage - is that not preferred?

Thank you!

Ollie.:confused:

I'm not positive what BQ was implying but my guess would be that the Pearl sails on the outisde of Vancouver island, rather then the preferred inside path. Your first and last day are sailing in open water for most of the day.

I still like this cruise because it goes to Glacier Bay!

"A significant factor, is with NCL, and their current- only, round trip Seattle itineraries, these are the LEAST scenic sailing routing of Alaska cruises. Essentially you have 2 sea days.

Ollie.:confused:

I'm wondering which lines sail different (better) routes from Seattle? That would be nice to know when picking as well.

I'm wondering which lines sail different (better) routes from Seattle? That would be nice to know when picking as well.

Good question!

This is only my opinion, while I would enjoy taking the inner route, It isn't a major factor in my decision. Leaving Seattle is very scenic. By early afternoon of your first sea day you are in the inside passage. The M&G is always held that morning and it gives me a chance to meet up with the fellow cruisers before finding a great seat to enjoy the scenery.

The thing that is at the top of the list is Glacier Bay. Really looking forward to sailing out of Vancouver but I wish we were going to Glacier Bay.

It also doesn't hurt that I love freestyle and the Pearl!:)

You need to take a look at a map.

Seattle cruises ARE the least scenic of Alaska routes. Even though, it looks like a coastal cruise, it is not. Your first and last sailing day are open ocean a good part of it.

In contrast, sailing inside Vancouver Island is nonstop scenery the entire way. It also is home to the northern resident orca pods, of which I frequently see.

I have sailed out of Seattle many times. NCL does do a good job with pricing in Alaska.

Last year- they did a trail of sailing northbound, INSIDE Vancouver Island on the Star. It was not adopted as the fixed route the rest of the season. I did personally talk to the cpt several times, and he said the decision would be from the head office, but he was in favor.

So it remains to be seen what route the Star will take this year. The Pearl is not on any route change plans.

I have a lot of experience with traveling Alaska, and highly strive for accurate posts.

I strongly suggest using your library to increase your Alaska knowledge. The more you know the better your choices will be for your trip.

A BIG problem for new Alaska cruise planners is the "inside passage" term. It essentially means NOTHING in Alaska. ALL Alaska cruises can claim this, you can NOT get to Juneau or Skagway without sailing "inside passage". It sure sounds nice in advertizing.

The other miss people think is the route being "fixed", always the same. Absolutely not. There are hundreds of various routes cpts. can take. AND there is no way anyone can predict. Many think, the sailings will be nonstop scenery the entire way, just about, never is this true. Ships many times do not sail coastal, and can and do sail open ocean.

.... but would not Princess take the same route from Seattle?

Once upon a time-a long long time ago, it seems to me that one of the other lines did sail inside on the way up (I don't remember which line) but I have no idea if any are sailing a different route now---your question is about the same as mine was a few posts back

I don't trust the route maps that the lines publish in their brochures. I've seen often they are way way off

We traveled the Seattle R/T route (NCL Pearl) and we had LAND almost the whole first "sea day". That may not be the route that is always taken but it was VERY scenic to me. The last day WAS a sea day but it was needed since we had to pack up and get everything ready for the next morning. Also gave us a bit of time to move away from our balcony and see the inside of the ship.:D

Again, I won't speak for the route every time but OUR specific sailing was VERY scenic thru the Inside Passage.

We traveled the Seattle R/T route and we had LAND almost the whole first sea day.

Just so I understand --- I'm slow today --- When you say land, do you mean nearby on both sides of the ship (what most would call inside passage), or were you sort of along the coast with land on one side (starboard)?

any ship, sailing from seattle, has the "less scenic" route. after leaving seattle, most, sail west of vancouver island (victoria)...you see a little in the distance, but it's open sea until mid-morning the day after leaving seattle. since they return the same way, you still miss the some of the views. sailing from seattle is easy, the views going through the sound are nice, open water that nights and some of the next morning, then (slowly) you get into a more scenic route.

ships, the sail from vancouver, sail up the area between vancouver island and mainland canada...plus the views of leaving from vancouver would be great.

all ships sail "inside passage" (juneau, ketchikan and skagway are on the passage). just some ships sail more of it then others.

|

We booked the Star for Alaska last month, for August, and before booking I looked at their itenerary map on the website. It shows the Star sailing inside Vancouver Island on the way to Alaska and outside on the way back. I hope this is the case. I don't know why they would show sailing inside if they don't.

I am also going with the NCL book for 2010 ,which shows the Star sailing on the inside of Vancouver Island heading north, on the outside of the island on the way back. I was on the Star last year when it sailed this route, it was great. This years book shows the Pearl sailing on the outside of Vancouver Island both ways. Since the NCL book shows each ship sailing a different route, I hope it is correct!

We booked the Star for Alaska last month, for August, and before booking I looked at their itenerary map on the website. It shows the Star sailing inside Vancouver Island on the way to Alaska and outside on the way back. I hope this is the case. I don't know why they would show sailing inside if they don't.

I am also going with the NCL book for 2010 ,which shows the Star sailing on the inside of Vancouver Island heading north, on the outside of the island on the way back. I was on the Star last year when it sailed this route, it was great. This years book shows the Pearl sailing on the outside of Vancouver Island both ways. Since the NCL book shows each ship sailing a different route, I hope it is correct!

Since they experimented with it last year and printed it in this years stuff-there may be a good chance.

Just so I understand --- I'm slow today --- When you say land, do you mean nearby on both sides of the ship (what most would call inside passage), or were you sort of along the coast with land on one side (starboard)?

to be honest, I was only looking from my balcony so I know for sure there was land on my side of the ship :D. I didn't really know or care what others were or were not seeing on the other side of the ship...LOL!!!!

Celebrity used to sail one way Inside Vancouver Island.

As I mentioned, it was not determined last year if this was going to be a fixed route on the Star, going inside Vancouver Island on the northbound route. (it is definately FAR superior to do this southbound, since a good portion of the northbound sailing is at night :( )

The one trip mentioned above about "close up" land viewing is not typical. The Pearl very often has 2 sea days, with "land" viewable WAY off in the distance. Sometimes with even binoculars it's far off.

A signficant feature of the Star is the availability of the add on Tracy Arm boat tour. I can NOT stress enough, how significant that tour is and superior to anything seen from your cruise ship. In my opinion it is a must do.

I put together a photo sample on Tracy Arm. The reason is for the glacier example. The photo of the cruise ship is the CLOSEST it got to the South Sawyer Glacier. Compare that to the harbor seals and glacier access. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

I've sailed both and enjoyed both . We also were scheduled to sail inside going up and out back , but the captain ( for some reason) sailed inside back as well ;)

Personally after a few days of staring at those rock walls I liked a little open water.

We traveled the Seattle R/T route (NCL Pearl) and we had LAND almost the whole first "sea day". That may not be the route that is always taken but it was VERY scenic to me. The last day WAS a sea day but it was needed since we had to pack up and get everything ready for the next morning. Also gave us a bit of time to move away from our balcony and see the inside of the ship.:D

Again, I won't speak for the route every time but OUR specific sailing was VERY scenic thru the Inside Passage.

That was our experience as well. VERY scenic the first sea day (land on one side, islands on the other). The last sea day we were packing and finally taking a much needed nap and glad for that "ocean" day. :D

A signficant feature of the Star is the availability of the add on Tracy Arm boat tour. I can NOT stress enough, how significant that tour is and superior to anything seen from your cruise ship. In my opinion it is a must do.

I put together a photo sample on Tracy Arm. The reason is for the glacier example. The photo of the cruise ship is the CLOSEST it got to the South Sawyer Glacier. Compare that to the harbor seals and glacier access. :)

I am sailing on the Star at the end of August and this excursion is not offered for our sailing. I don't know about any of the others sailings. After reading about the Tracy Arm boat tour I was interested in booking it but it is not listed under shore excursions for our cruise.

All I know is this, inside/outside, whatever! We sailed on the NCL Star Aug. '08 and had a wonderful time. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen while cruising along. Glaciers, mountains, whales right off the side of the boat. It was amazing!:D The price is the best!

I am sailing on the Star at the end of August and this excursion is not offered for our sailing. I don't know about any of the others sailings. After reading about the Tracy Arm boat tour I was interested in booking it but it is not listed under shore excursions for our cruise.

I am sailing on the Sept 4th 2010 Star. True, it does not show up for the shore excursions, but if you call NCL, they will book it. They did for us. NCL could not give us a reason why it's not showing up. However, we are booked and they sent us a copy of our Reseveration.

The add-on Tracy Arm boat tour hinges on your time in port in Juneau, as it is a long trip and meets the ship very early. Perhaps that is why it isn't offered on your sailing - port time may not be conducive to this tour?

The itinerary is fixed with the Star; except for the first and last sailing, they offer the add on Tracy Arm tour. May not be up yet, but as already noted, in the past, it could be booked direct with NCL.

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the captain has the perrogative of chosing the exact route taken on any given sailing, Alaska or otherwise. I would not count on a route map in some marekting material to be a commitment. When you read your contract, you will see that the cruise line not only can change the route, but also the ports, times, etc without any recourse available to you.

How much rock and evergreen trees can one tolerate in a day anyway??

Celebrity used to sail one way Inside Vancouver Island.

As I mentioned, it was not determined last year if this was going to be a fixed route on the Star, going inside Vancouver Island on the northbound route. (it is definately FAR superior to do this southbound, since a good portion of the northbound sailing is at night :( )

The one trip mentioned above about "close up" land viewing is not typical. The Pearl very often has 2 sea days, with "land" viewable WAY off in the distance. Sometimes with even binoculars it's far off.

I agree with this... this was one of the best tours I have taken in Alaska. You get so much closer... the ship in Tracy Arm looked like a toy boat from where we were with respect to them.

Archived