Taxi to Discover Mexico

jrmama496

We are planning to go to Discover Mexico on our upcoming cruise. RCI offers a tour for $24 which includes transportation. I believe with a coupon online, the entrance fee would $15. Does anyone know how much a taxi from the pier (I believe it's International Pier) to the museum would be? There are 5 of us, so would it be difficult to get a taxi that fits all of us? Also, how difficult is it to find a taxi comimg back?

We are planning to go to Discover Mexico on our upcoming cruise. RCI offers a tour for $24 which includes transportation. I believe with a coupon online, the entrance fee would $15. Does anyone know how much a taxi from the pier (I believe it's International Pier) to the museum would be? There are 5 of us, so would it be difficult to get a taxi that fits all of us? Also, how difficult is it to find a taxi comimg back?

If park is only about 2 kilometers from the pier so a cab could cost less thna getting into downtown (which is around $7 one way for 2 people, and about $2 per additional person). I seriously doubt any driver will carry you there for less, $7 seems to be the base price to anywhere. You can squeeze 5 people into a cab if one is a small child or take a van cab. But probably need 2 cabs. For budgeting use the downtown cab fare as a base and call it $28 RT for 2 cabs. Probably not too difficult to get a cab coming back, but always good to see if you can arrange this with your originating cab driver. So if you can get everyone there into the park and back for under $105 total ($21pp), the DIY option, with the coupon, is just a tad cheaper than the RCL tour. However, unless you're planning on doing something else afterward,not included in the tour, like go across the road to Chankanaab beach, the ship excursion might be the most convenient way to go.

We were there in January at the Puerta Maya Pier which is 'next door' to the International Pier.

We walked to Discover Mexico -- about 1/2 mile. Sidewalk all the way along the 'scooter' road. You will then have to cross the scooter road and the main road to get to Discover Mexico. We spent a little over 2 hours looking at the exhibits in the museum and the scale models of the ruins and historic sites. Fascinating. A ship's tour got there at the same time we did and they spent an hour before being loaded back on their bus. Don't think they got to see all that we did.

Easily caught a cab when we left to go downtown -- $7 for up to 4 people. Also easy to get a cab back to the pier from downtown for the same price.

Archived