Talking Language Translators

joyy7403

We are cruising the Mediterranean next year and will be visiting several countries. We are looking for a translator to take with us. We have looked at many, but cannot find any reviews on them. Has anyone purchased one to have an opinion on them? I didn't know where else to post this question. We plan on traveling more in other countries, so we need one with several languages with clarity. Thank you for any help you can give us!!;)

Joyce

What line will you be on? I'm not sure I can help you, but I've been to Europe several times (lived in Germany as a kid), but have not been in the Med. countries, except Italy. I/we never had a problem finding someone who spoke English anywhere we went. Most European countries require students to take English for several years in public schools. A good friend, who is Greek (from Crete), said he took English classes there. Even during these Olympics, you'll hear English spoken by Eastern European and Med. nationals. If you're cruising, ships' shore excursions will provide a multi-lingual guide. Ports of Call generally have English-speaking locals, because so many English-speaking people go there. IMO, it's not necessary to hire a translator. A local guide can help you.

Interesting, but the only place we had to use a local guide to translate for us was in St. Bart's! There's a very small community of older women who live up on one of the hills, and who make beautiful lace, and speak only French. They also dress in a traditional manner. Don't think they're nuns, but not sure. I have a lovely lace collar!

We'll be on NCL. The countries we'll be going to will be speaking Spanish, Greek, Italian, Turkish, Arabic & Maltese. It's not that we're afraid we won't be able to communicate, it's just that knowing "thank you, excuse me, please" and other words in their language is so much more polite than expecting that everyone speaks English. Also, if we do explore on our own, it would be helpful to have this with us. I am working on learning some of all of the languages, but it doesn't seem to sink in like it did when I was younger!:confused:

I am so excited to be going on this cruise! We will be in Italy on my husband's birthday! It sounds like you have done some very interesting traveling. We were in the Caribbean last year. We met so many lovely people on all of the islands.

Good question!! I guess it's a good thing that we're not going until next April - I think I have to ponder this a little further! I guess I was thinking if I ran into someone I could excuse myself, if they offered me water at a restaurant, I could say please & thank you. And "where is the wash room?" that they could point me to. But, you do have a valid point!

OP: I speak Spanish, German and Italian. I would be happy to go as your translator.;)

That would be wonderful! Where can we meet in Barcelona?:)

I see you live in Biloxi. My brother was staioned in Gulfport in the Navy in the 1960's. My mother & I took a Greyhound bus down to see him one weekend. What a beautiful place! He was shipped to Vietnam & came back 3 weeks after Camille hit. So sad.

I think you'll be just fine without a translator. Tourist destinations learned long ago that if they want to make money, they need to communicate in the language/s of the tourists. English is pretty much a world-wide standard language. It's the official language of pilots/co-pilots/flight engineers in the very large world of commercial aviation. Since the advent of the modern Olympic games, English and French are the official languages. In Costa Rica, during a 2-week trip on our own, we were always able to find someone who spoke English, even if just stopping to buy gas or food. You'll be fine, and will have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you everyone! My husband has an iTouch, I'll have him look into that. I hated to assume that everyone knew English. We will be in their country and I want to show respect and not be an "ugly American". I am a people person and I want to talk to everyone I meet.

PennyAgain, thank you for telling me about Malta. That was the one language I was having a hard time finding translations for on the internet.

Traveler353, September would be great, however, I'll be in the Caribbean for 14 days in November, so I'd better pass this year!;)

Thanks again!!!

Thank you everyone! My husband has an iTouch, I'll have him look into that. I hated to assume that everyone knew English. We will be in their country and I want to show respect and not be an "ugly American". I am a people person and I want to talk to everyone I meet.

PennyAgain, thank you for telling me about Malta. That was the one language I was having a hard time finding translations for on the internet.

Traveler353, September would be great, however, I'll be in the Caribbean for 14 days in November, so I'd better pass this year!;)

Thanks again!!!

I think you have the right attitude. It is considered common courtesy to at least learn enough of a language to be polite. Basic greetings, directions and be able to order a meal. Even if you speak it poorly making the effort will make the locals just want to help you more. Unfortunetly most Americans feel that it the responsibility of the entire world to speak our language.

Archived