Taormina and Aghios Nikolaos on own/tour

maggie12345ab

Suggest you LOG ON and go to this board, then use the SEARCH THIS FORUM box with the words Aghios Nicolaos (sp!) You can then read all the previous posts on the subject and pick up lots of info that way. This is an excellent way of finding info, and works on every forum, but you must be logged on.

For Taormina try the same on the Italy board.

Here, it depends if you are docking in Messina or the port below Taormina. Transport from Messina can be tricky and there have already been a number of informative posts on the subject. You should get lots of info in the search results. Try searching twice, once with Taormina and once with Messina.

Getting from Messina to Taormini is the problem, but once you are at Taormina it is very easy to explore on your own (just about everything to see and do is on two easily walkable streets). If you can get a group together you might be able to hire a car/driver for less money than the ships tour. But otherwise, we suggest just taking the ships transportation to Taormina (no need to book their walking tour). As to Aghios Nikolaos, it has been many years since we called at this port. But, our recommendation would still be to simply rent a car and drive. You can easily research the various places to go on the internet or in a book store. Crete is an easy place to drive, and with a decent map or GPS you will do fine. We used to rent from one of the small local rental car companies that were located with a couple of blocks of the port. You might want to google rental car companies and see who is nearby and has the best prices.

Hank

I"m going on a cruise in May and want to do ship tours for the larger places, but what about Taormina and Aghios Nikolaos? Are these two that I could do on my own? Anything here not to be missed?

I did Aghios Nikolas and Taromina on my own.In Aghios of course the lake, in Taomina the greak teathre and th public garden, if you have time try to reach Catelmola wath a viwe from up thereI have the name of the guide we use to do it if you need it

Archived