Dress code in Istanbul

We are going to Istanbul on Celebration in June and the Thomson excursions guide says legs, heads and shoulders must be covered to visit the church/mosque.

My friend has just bought a pashmina/wrap for this purpose but as it is quite a fine fabric she says her arms are still visible through it and she is wondering if this will be acceptable.

Can anyone who has previously visited this area please advise?

Carol x

We are going to Istanbul on Celebration in June and the Thomson excursions guide says legs, heads and shoulders must be covered to visit the church/mosque.

My friend has just bought a pashmina/wrap for this purpose but as it is quite a fine fabric she says her arms are still visible through it and she is wondering if this will be acceptable.

Can anyone who has previously visited this area please advise?

Carol x

I think it's especially important that your shoulders are covered but I think it's perhaps advisable to have longer sleeves - certainly not sleeveless. You can put a wrap over the top of a short sleeved top (or better still wear or take a loose shirt to put on top) and don't expose a low a neck-line. There are shawls available at the door of the Mosque for people to borrow to allow them to go inside but I just wrapped myself up in a pashmina/wide scarf I'd just bought from the traders just outside the bazaar - 3 for £5! - not brilliant quality as you might imagine but fun items to take back. As long as it covers your hair and well over your arms I think you'll be fine - see-through is a bit debatable though and I'd be reluctant to risk it.

I've picked up this link which actually tells you what is posted outside of the Blue Mosque which might be helpful - looks as though trousers/long skirt are specially mentioned!

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Middle_East/Turkey/Istanbul_Ili/Istanbul-1837624/Local_Customs-Istanbul-mosques_etiquette-BR-1.html

We were there in October so were probably more covered up than you will be in June (lovely and warm - what a great thought!!!!) and I can't remember what we had on. I'll look at DH's photos later and will get back if I can come to any firm conclusions about whether trousers are absolutely necessary - or whether long crops may be ok.

It's a very cosmopolitan city - no problems with western dress other than being respectful for visits to Mosques. The Hagia Sophia is a museum so the covering-up bit isn't required - I've got photos of women with sleeveless tops in there. It's the Blue Mosque in particular where dress code is needed.

Hi capasamari

We visited Istanbul when we did the Black Sea cruise on the Calypso a few years ago and went to the Blue Mosque. I'm sure I remember me and the other half having to wear a wrap around skirt type thing that they gave us at the mosque as we were wearing shorts (as were many people because it was hot). OH was okay in a short sleeved t-shirt but I took a loose fitting long sleeved shirt just to put on over my strappy top which was easy to carry once out of the mosque. I think you also have to remove your shoes:)

Not sure what your itinerary is but if you get the chance go to Gallipoli, it is absolutely amazing and very moving.

Hope this helps a bit.

Janet

We were in the Blue Mosque last summer. I thought I went well prepared with a fine, sheer long sleeved hooded blouse and carried a wrap in my bag to cover my legs (it was hot and I was otherwise in a short skirt.) I tied the wrap around my legs just tying in the miiddle with a knot, only for a gent at the door to correct me wrapping it around me as you would a towel. The top half was fine. The guys at the door were armed with plenty of assorted coverings for those who hadn't But there were plenty there, once inside, not abiding by the rules.

Beautiful place.... enjoy !

Many thanks for all the detailed replies, we can work out what best to pack to wear that day now. I hadn't realised the rules about knees also applied to men! Paul can wear his zip-off trousers that day.

Istanbul is as far as we go into the Black Sea, we had hoped to go further in but that itinerary was one of Calypso's so oviously is no longer available. The other ports are all in Turkey and the eastern coast of Greece so we don't go to Gallipoli.

Carol x

You will get to sail past the Gallipoli peninsula as you come out of the Dardanelles strait. There are a couple of huge war memorials on the top by the estuary and you also sail past Anzac cove

We did this trip with Ocean Village and one of the ships officers made a tannoy announcement giving us a potted history of the campaign and pointing out what we were seeing from the ship.

We also saw a pod of dolphins as we sailed down the river out of Istanbul - keep your eyes peeled!!

Archived