Infinity vs Mercury

09CruiseGirl

Hi all - I'm new to the Celebrity forum. I have several questions to ask, if someone(s) would be so kind to answer:

First off: I don't know much about this line other than it has the same parent company as RCL. (I'm currently working my way through treads doing research.)

I'm beginning the research/planning of an Alaskan cruise. Last October I took RCL's Jewel on a 5 day New England cruise. I thought her to be a beautiful ship. I originally planned to take her sister ship, Radiance, for the Alaskan cruise. However, last night I discovered a deal breaker: all of the Radiance itineraries either start at or end at Seward Alaska. Due to my fear of flying, I will never, ever, ever willingly get on one of the small planes to fly to an airport (either Seattle or Vancouver) to board a larger jetliner. It just won't happen. My other option on RCL, to avoid that Seward location, is taking the Rhapsody. My problem with her is that she's down a class. I'd prefer to be on a Radiance class ship or above on RCL. Just my preference.

... this brings me to looking at other cruise lines, such as Celebrity. Currently the Infinity and the Mercury run the Alaskan itineraries. How do those ships compare to RCL's Radiance class - for those in the know?

My other question is: How does the food in Celebrity's MDR compare to RCL's? I'm not a picky eater - really, I'm not. I'm 100% happy with Taco Bell. If I'm 100% happy with Taco Bell, then I'm not a picky eater. I witnessed a few food thread wars on in the RCL's forum during my trip research last year. People were quite vocal on whether RCL's MDR had good food or crap food. 1/2 were for good and 1/2 were for crap. It'd often get ugly. Being the non-picky eater that I am... I took it all with a grain of salt not expecting problems on my voyage.

My official opinion: RCL's MDR has some pretty bad food. Not all of the time ... but about 70% of the time. I'm still trying to figure out what the "mystery" meat was that was presented to me a Prime Rib. Trust me. It wasn't Prime Rib. My table mates, none which had ordered it that night, just gaped at it in shock asking what it was. I wound up with a lobster tail instead. I enjoyed what little I grabbed from the Windjammer and had a wonderful experience in Chops one night. I took a Carnival Destiny cruise (back when she was new) and don't recall a single meal I was disappointed in and I've learned pretty fast on this board how a good chunk of the people around here feel about Carnival.

So, yes, I was a bit disappointed in RCL's MDR food, loved the service -they were GREAT - hated a good chunk of the food presented to me. So, can anyone on here who's been on both Celebrity and RCL and doesn't think RCL's MDR food is the next greatest thing to sliced bread give me their honest thoughts about Celebrity's MDR food? I understand that opinions are subjective.

Oh - and how does Celebrity compare to NCL?

Oh, and sorry for the long post. :o

Infinity is closer to the Radience class ships than Mercury. Mercury is one of the oldest ships in X's fleet and she doesn't have some of the amenities that the C Class ships have such as a specialty restaurant.

After returning from a Celebrity cruise this past Sunday, I can say without a doubt that Celebrity's food has greatly improved and is wayyyyy above the food on RCI. I was recently on RCI, on a Voyager Class ship, and I thought the food was totally bad. Service was OK, but the food was downright bad.

But, if you're looking for all the activities and heavy nightlife that RCI has, you won't find that on Celebrity. It's more low key than RCI.

You cannot compare NCL to Celebrity as they are totally different in every way. I'm not a fan of NCL at all, as I find their food and service to be below par---it's better on RCI if I had to compare so that means that Celebrity is heads above NCL in every way except maybe in entertainment.

Hi all - I'm new to the Celebrity forum. I have several questions to ask, if someone(s) would be so kind to answer:

First off: I don't know much about this line other than it has the same parent company as RCL. (I'm currently working my way through treads doing research.)

I'm beginning the research/planning of an Alaskan cruise. Last October I took RCL's Jewel on a 5 day New England cruise. I thought her to be a beautiful ship. I originally planned to take her sister ship, Radiance, for the Alaskan cruise. However, last night I discovered a deal breaker: all of the Radiance itineraries either start at or end at Seward Alaska. Due to my fear of flying, I will never, ever, ever willingly get on one of the small planes to fly to an airport (either Seattle or Vancouver) to board a larger jetliner. It just won't happen. My other option on RCL, to avoid that Seward location, is taking the Rhapsody. My problem with her is that she's down a class. I'd prefer to be on a Radiance class ship or above on RCL. Just my preference.

... this brings me to looking at other cruise lines, such as Celebrity. Currently the Infinity and the Mercury run the Alaskan itineraries. How do those ships compare to RCL's Radiance class - for those in the know?

My other question is: How does the food in Celebrity's MDR compare to RCL's? I'm not a picky eater - really, I'm not. I'm 100% happy with Taco Bell. If I'm 100% happy with Taco Bell, then I'm not a picky eater. I witnessed a few food thread wars on in the RCL's forum during my trip research last year. People were quite vocal on whether RCL's MDR had good food or crap food. 1/2 were for good and 1/2 were for crap. It'd often get ugly. Being the non-picky eater that I am... I took it all with a grain of salt not expecting problems on my voyage.

My official opinion: RCL's MDR has some pretty bad food. Not all of the time ... but about 70% of the time. I'm still trying to figure out what the "mystery" meat was that was presented to me a Prime Rib. Trust me. It wasn't Prime Rib. My table mates, none which had ordered it that night, just gaped at it in shock asking what it was. I wound up with a lobster tail instead. I enjoyed what little I grabbed from the Windjammer and had a wonderful experience in Chops one night. I took a Carnival Destiny cruise (back when she was new) and don't recall a single meal I was disappointed in and I've learned pretty fast on this board how a good chunk of the people around here feel about Carnival.

So, yes, I was a bit disappointed in RCL's MDR food, loved the service -they were GREAT - hated a good chunk of the food presented to me. So, can anyone on here who's been on both Celebrity and RCL and doesn't think RCL's MDR food is the next greatest thing to sliced bread give me their honest thoughts about Celebrity's MDR food? I understand that opinions are subjective.

Oh - and how does Celebrity compare to NCL?

Oh, and sorry for the long post. :o

I can help with a couple points:

First, as a pilot, I can't really relate to the fear of flying, but docking in Seward means ground transportation to Anchorage where commercial jet airline service is available.

Second, I've been on the Mercury and it's a nice ship, but it's older and smaller than the RCCL choices you mention.

Finally, the food is much better on Celebrity than RCCL, in my opinion.

Enjoy which ever you chose.

Due to my fear of flying, I will never, ever, ever willingly get on one of the small planes to fly to an airport (either Seattle or Vancouver) to board a larger jetliner. It just won't happen. My other option on RCL, to avoid that Seward location...

Keep in mind that the way you get to Seward is to fly into Anchorage first and then take the Alaska Railroad (http://www.akrr.com) into Seward. The train stops within eyesight of the docked ship.

Both Anchorage and Vancouver have "big jets" that serve them.

Archived