P&O Luggage tags

Rasa Sayang

Just a quick and simple idea re those abominable bits of paper P&O now issue which masquerade as luggage tags.

Fold them over so they are double sided - trim off the excess garbage, and hop down to you local Copy Shop and get them laminated.

Punch a hole in the bottom, use nylon cable ties to fix them you your bags, and you now have something that even the most ham-fisted baggage handler will find hard to damage or lose.

Cheap as chips as well. :p

dscf0001ab.jpg

I did that with our Volendam tags too.

I thought they would have been a bit more upmarket than P&O

My wife got proper tags on the Zuiderdam in Canada last year.

Really, I know they're all trying to cut costs, but cutting back from decent baggage labels to scraps of paper is a bit over the top.:D:p

When my daughter went on the Pacific Dawn a fortnight ago I used wide clear sticky tape which was the same width as the luggage tag to attach. This was like laminating but took seconds to do at home. Well worth spending a couple of dollars on a roll that will last for ages.

Really, I know they're all trying to cut costs, but cutting back from decent baggage labels to scraps of paper is a bit over the top.:D:p

And you print your own tickets with HAL, no lovely folder. I really wondered why we had a travel agent, as the only thing they gave us was a folder with our travel insurance documents in it.

Another option is to buy some 'poster tape' - double sided tape with one side covered with a peel-off backing.

Then once you've folded the label stick the tape on, and then when you get to the wharf put the label on, peel off the backing and stick it down.

It's because P&O will be going the way of most of the other companies. Soon, we'll receive tickets, luggage ticktets, etc via a pdf file attached to an email (or downloaded from cruise personaliser) and have to print it ourselves.

In much the same way as it's rare these days to get a "proper" airline ticket

I just got my tickets and bag tags on the weekend. I was disappointed with the paper tags. Bit dodgy.

My immediate thought was to laminate them, but being my first cruise, I didn't know if that was allowed?

Hi Aussie Aloha

I haven't sailed with P & O for a couple of years, but did sail with the Costa cruise line to the Far East (Vietnam, Hong Kong etc) last September. They also emailed our luggage tags. What we did was use the really wide clear packing tape that you would use to close a cardboard box when you move house. We put the tape on both sides of the luggagge tag so that it would not tear. It worked a treat and Costa had absolutely no comment to make about the tags. It is after all just a tag, not a credit card. Obviously whatever machines they used to read the "barcode" on our tags were able to read the barcode through the clear packaging tape.

I'm sure you'd be able to do something like that with P & O, or even laminate them if you wanted to got to that expense.

I shall be sailing on the Pacific Jewel with DH and some friends in November and we plan on using the packing tape for our tickets then.

But I will keep an eye on the CC forums to see how everyone else goes with these paper tags until then.

Whichever way you go with your luggage tags, I hope you have a fabulous cruise. :D

I just used a whole heap of sticky tape on both sides to make it stronger - though it is a bit disappointing that they sent them like this rather than in a plastic form as they have done in the past.

Spot on comment though about how they are going the same way as the airlines in emailing them in future.

We've got a laminator so I was thinking of doing that :)

Glad I'm not the only nerd who feels funny about paper bag tags ;)

I'm just worried about what happens if our cabin # changes

if your cabin changes at the minute as long as your name is on the bag it'll either be at the other cabin or at the pursers desk

once you check in you will know if you've been upgraded or not

rkmw

Archived