What would you do if you couldn't close your suitcase on the last night of the cruise

stuNYC

On the last night of my POA cruise, the zipper on my suitcase came off the track. I spent two hours trying to get it back on the track without success. I even went down to the front desk and got a screwdrawer hoping to pry the zipper open. When all else failed I called the front desk, figuring this is not the first time that this has happened to a passenger and they could fix it or suggest someway to close the suitcase to enable me to disembark the ship, where I could buy a new suitcase.

The assistant manager on duty answered the phone and said that "she couldn't promise anything but to bring the suitcase (unpacked) to the front desk. So I unpacked the suitcase and did what she asked. As soon as I put the suitcase on the desk, her immediate response was " We can't fix it. If you would have come earlier in the cruise, as opposed to the last night, maybe we could have done something. "

I then asked her if I could get off the boat when we reached Honolulu and buy a new suitcase and then return to the ship and pack. Her immediate response was "No, you can not" She then proceeded to her office and came out with clear white trash bags and said to put my garments in them; carry them off the ship; put them in a locker at the pier (at a cost only $5);then go to buy a new suitcase; and apparently repack it on the pier.

What would you have done in my situation?

I probably would have dumped all contents in the garbage and left the empty suitcase on the bed when I left and felt comfortable that it was time to get new stuff anyway and that I was very happy I didn't have to deal with hauling a bag all the way home. But that's just me. My wardrobe is largely disposable to me. :-)

Yes, I would have asked for duct tape. Second would be pack stuff in trash bags and then get something in town. Idea of tossing some stuff I did not really like anyways is not a bad idea. Could always "wear" an overcoat that maybe would have been packed. Overpack the carryon bag. Buying duffle bag in gift shop not a bad idea.

We do carry an extra duffle/gym bag thing in our suitcase all the time. The super light nylon type that do not weigh anything. Always good in case we buy something, which we almost never do.

That is why you always pack duct tape. :D

PE

Absolutely. I agree 100%.

OP - sorry about that, I know you were frustrated.

Duct tape is a "must pack" item, (it saved our sanity on the Sun, the shower doors kept swinging noisily). And if by some chance I forgot to pack some, I am sure someone from my CC M&G would have come to my rescue.

Duct tape wouldn't "fix" your suitcase but you could at least secure the contents. The front desk couldn't fix it, which is what you asked, so they weren't wrong, just not as creative as us CCrs.

So, what did you do?

I would have gone to the gift shop and bought an NCL duffel bag! They always have several different kinds and they are not that expensive.

Brilliant.

And of course, Duct Tape.

I am a bag fiend. I come home with at least 2 new bags of some kind from the ship's gift shop. They always have bags... Big bags.. Seems the "good-idea fairy" was napping that day.

I probably would have grabbed a cab & had them take me to a hotel...Spent a week or two looking for the perfect suitcase and then flown home.

All the while thinking that if I wasn't meant to spend extra time in Hawaii, the zipper would have never broke anyhow :D

Ain't Karma great?

On the last night of my POA cruise, the zipper on my suitcase came off the track. I spent two hours trying to get it back on the track without success. I even went down to the front desk and got a screwdrawer hoping to pry the zipper open. When all else failed I called the front desk, figuring this is not the first time that this has happened to a passenger and they could fix it or suggest someway to close the suitcase to enable me to disembark the ship, where I could buy a new suitcase.

The assistant manager on duty answered the phone and said that "she couldn't promise anything but to bring the suitcase (unpacked) to the front desk. So I unpacked the suitcase and did what she asked. As soon as I put the suitcase on the desk, her immediate response was " We can't fix it. If you would have come earlier in the cruise, as opposed to the last night, maybe we could have done something. "

I then asked her if I could get off the boat when we reached Honolulu and buy a new suitcase and then return to the ship and pack. Her immediate response was "No, you can not" She then proceeded to her office and came out with clear white trash bags and said to put my garments in them; carry them off the ship; put them in a locker at the pier (at a cost only $5);then go to buy a new suitcase; and apparently repack it on the pier.

I would have asked if any of the ship gift shops had luggage and if so could the shop be opened so I could purchase a suitcase.

If not, then I would say thank you for the trash bags and do as she suggested. But first I'd try to cram more things into hubby's suitcase and into our carry-on backpack. Probably cheaper to pay airline for an overweight suitcase than to purchase a new one.

I would have asked to borrow their duct tape.....packed the case and wrapped it up with the tape.

Actually had to do that once. A companion's suitcase busted and the Purser's desk were happy to loan me their role. Quick fix, no problems.

Yes, Duct tape. I would also have gone through the clothes and repacked, maybe discarding some things that I really didn't want, so as not to put too much a strain on even the duct tape, but otherwise, grab the garbage bags, leave the suitcase behind, and head home.

that's the ticket! :D

I flew back from Ireland one year wearing 5 fisherman sweaters, a long Irish cape and the pockets stuffed with shoes. I looked ridiculous; but was preventing overweight charges. They let me on plane and I stuffed it in the overhead bin.

I suppose the OP could have put all their clothes on and just walked off the ship looking something like this:D

snowsuit.jpg

With those stupid "pay to check even one bag rules" (and I still have all the carryons they allow) that's usually how I pack for a flight anymore...and then I get nekked after I'm on the plane

With those stupid "pay to check even one bag rules" (and I still have all the carryons they allow) that's usually how I pack for a flight anymore...and then I get nekked after I'm on the plane

That's one way to get a row of seats to yourself. ;):D:eek:

Archived