Central Rome to Civitavecchia

bunkrest

I know that when we docked at Citaveccia a few years ago quite a few people took the train from just outside the port to Rome and it was both cheap and easy, certainly much cheaper than the official excursions. Presumably it is just as easy in the other direction.

Easy.

go to the main termini station and follow the signs, buy a ticket for a few euro around 8 I think, make sure you get validated on the platform before boarding and off you go, its takes around 40 mins, when you arrive take a taxi a short ride to the port maybe 5 mins, or there should be shuttle buses around in the main town, ask

if your staying nearer to to st peters use the station at st peters

Has anyone made there own way from central Rome to Civitavecchia (port)

If by train,is it easy to get to were the ship is docked!

Many thanks in advance..

We are due to join Queen Victoria later this year in Rome also. Rome Cabs have been highly recommended to us for the transfer from city to port, albeit more expensive than the train at around 130 euros one way.

If you have a lot of luggage, taking the train can be rather stressful. We are intending to use White Star Luggage Service for this trip and send ahead....leaving us with minimal bags to actually travel with, but are still opting for a taxi transfer.

Jackie :)

We are due to join Queen Victoria later this year in Rome also. Rome Cabs have been highly recommended to us for the transfer from city to port, albeit more expensive than the train at around 130 euros one way.

If you have a lot of luggage, taking the train can be rather stressful. We are intending to use White Star Luggage Service for this trip and send ahead....leaving us with minimal bags to actually travel with, but are still opting for a taxi transfer.

Yes your right, but this is not the answer to the question, there are many ways to reach the ship, private car, taxi, shared taxi the wonderful shuttle service from the hotel to the ship or the train, and they asked about the train.

the train is very good and baggage is moved quite easy. i would also mentioned that if your looking at price and ease to contact Viator who will book a hotel/port shuttle bus to take you and your bags

Bunkrest.....the EF hotel in FCO is close to termini station - I was there last week, and the hotel limo service will take you to Civitavecchia for €100. PM me on other forums more relevant to our profession under the nickname "Edina" if you need any more info ;)

There are frequent trains, mostly suburban stoppers (a pain if you're travelling with baggage) taking around 1hr15 @ €4.50, up to expresses taking only 40 minutes for €17.50 in first class.......check out http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/ & click on the English tab at the top.

I won't leave my email on here as there are some that may use it inappropriately :(

The train is an easy trip. Last year my vision-impaired wife and I took it to the ship. The fare was 4.50 Euros each from Termini station. You can check the train schedules on line before you go. Be sure there isn't a strike scheduled for the day you want to go. There's a web site for that.

The mid-day trains terminate at Civ... and it's easier to get off with your bags when it's the end of the line. We bought our tickets on a different day than we traveled. There's a line to buy tickets so you are not going to be able to rush up at the last minute and buy a ticket. Then we walked over to the part of the station where the train departs from. It's kind of out of the way. Then on the day we traveled, there were no problems except one. After we got to Civ..., I got off and took our bags off the train and stood on the platform waiting for my wife. My wife stayed in the doorway to the train finding her footing and did not get off immediately. The doors almost closed on her before she got off. Other than that, no problems. We walked about three blocks to the stone fort, found the free shuttle buses, and got to the ship with no problem. We saved $85.00 per person from the time before that when we took the ship transfers. In a nutshell, the train was a great experience.

Do your homework first and the train is no problem. It was an enjoyable experience and we will certainly do it again.

You will find it is the most easy thing to do, the stations are so geared up for it

I've done this train trip from Rome to Civ and return after a cruise, and your comment surprised & reminded me that the station at Civ was the worst part of the train trip.

On the return trip to Rome (or both ways?) my train departed from a central platform at Civ, and there are no platform lifts, so I had to roll/thump/control my heavy bag down a flight of steps, and then drag it up the next flight of steps.

And I'm a fit healthy male, and I told myself at the time that I'd pay for a transfer next time. I wouldn't recommend this ordeal to others.

I've done this train trip from Rome to Civ and return after a cruise, and your comment surprised & reminded me that the station at Civ was the worst part of the train trip.

On the return trip to Rome (or both ways?) my train departed from a central platform at Civ, and there are no platform lifts, so I had to roll/thump/control my heavy bag down a flight of steps, and then drag it up the next flight of steps.

And I'm a fit healthy male, and I told myself at the time that I'd pay for a transfer next time. I wouldn't recommend this ordeal to others.

I agree with you completely, StevenW! I made the mistake of taking the train from Civitavecchia to Rome at the end of one of my cruises. After lugging my suitcase from the dock (was told it was just a five minute walk to the station...but it seemed more like a half hour), I purchased my ticket, then realized that I would have to get my 40+ lb. bag (plus my carry-ons) down one set of stairs and up another to reach the platform. I was standing at the top of the stairs ready to slit my wrists, when good fortune shined upon me -- a lovely young Romanian couple came along and the young man offered to help. I was so grateful that I offered them room and board if they ever made it to L.A. The offer still stands!!

If you have heavy luggage, spend the extra and get a transfer -- it is well worth it!

• 1 month later...

We are just about about to book QV for this itinery

Archived