Off the wall question...

sparky9016

Ok, so those of you out there who have restless leg syndrome (RLS), have any of you taken any anti-nausea meds on your cruise and had it trigger your RLS? I've read that some of the meds (like Dramamine) can trigger that? Anyone have any experience w/ RLS and Bonine? Thanks!

Haven't any experience but give the anti-nausea meds a try on shore before you leave. Try it for a couple of nights since sometimes you won't see the effects for a few days. This sounds like a side effect which might be very individual. And if it does, try ginger pills and maybe the bracelet which works for many people.

Hi Sparky, I don't have RLS, I have a neuromuscular disorder which can be worsened by certain meds, so I definitely understand your hesitation and questioning.

I would definitely advise to try it at home first. Doing a quick search, there may be some concerns for some people with Bonine making RLS worse. On vacation is not the time you want to find that out!

Well, this may seem a little strange but it may be worth trying. My DH gets charlie horses in his legs and tried this. He hasn't had a cramp since.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

My husband swears by this!!! I laugh at him but he tells me it works. Thought he was crazy but....well he is crazy in a fun way but....lol

Thanks for all the suggestions... I know it's a strange thing to worry about. A friend who also has RLS got me thinking about it when she mentioned how she was given Dramamine once and she felt like she was going to literally crawl out of her skin until it wore off. Doesn't sound like fun on a vacation!! :) I think whatever I try, it will be before the cruise first!

Benedryl and Dramamine are nearly the same medication- just change an "ine" to and "ate" in chemical terms. Benedryl exacerbates my RLS, so I bet Dramamine would too. Try it at home at night and see.

This is an important thing to note. Dimenhydrinate (dramamine)actually contains Dimenhydramine but it is not nearly as potent and the latency is less.

However Meclizine aka the non drowsy med Bonine and what the cruise ship offers is chemically different and typically has less side effects.

(Hi I am kelly, before I became the nerdy law geek I wanted to be a pharmacist)

This is an important thing to note. Dimenhydrinate (dramamine)actually contains Dimenhydramine but it is not nearly as potent and the latency is less.

However Meclizine aka the non drowsy med Bonine and what the cruise ship offers is chemically different and typically has less side effects.

(Hi I am kelly, before I became the nerdy law geek I wanted to be a pharmacist)

Thanks for the info Kelly! I have been planning on either Meclizine or Bonine for our trip, so hopefully that won't trigger any RLS side effects. I'll definately try it before we go too!

I just started taking requip for RLS so I have not cruised using it plus I don't have to take anything for motion. I was not sure if I wanted to take requip because of some of the side effects and the fact that I have had some bad side effects with other meds. But it really does make a difference and I am sleeping better.

i have RLS and did not experience any increase in symptoms when taking Bonine. But, like others, it does get worse when taking antihistimines for some reason. Also is worse when drinking alcohol. I like Bonine because it is non-drowsy.

I suffer with severe RLS! I mean SEVERE! Have been on Requip and Mirapex... large amounts. I can NOT take Dramamine (I do suffer from motion sickness and use the bands, Bonine (doesn't affect my RLS :))! and sometimes the 'watch' for severe motion sickness. Never heard of the soap idea but will try tonight at bedtime! Thanks!!

To OP: Try putting a new bar of Ivory Soap under your bottom sheet near your legs (take the wrapper off). Works for me and hubby, for charlie horses and feet and leg cramps. When you feel the problem coming back, replace with a fresh bar. I have a bar on my side of bed by my feet and he has one on his side of bed. gonna take some ivory soap on the cruise with us.

Archived