Europe with Teens

Cruisin'40

We are thinking of venturing out of our Caribbean/Mexican mode and trying a family European cruise. We are concerned it may a little too much sight seeing and perhaps boring for our youner dd (13). But maybe wrong.

Any ideas, comments, tips... etc....

The answer really depends on your kids, which you would know best. Ours are now 9 & 12 and have traveled quite extensively, both in the US/Caribbean and abroad and love it. I guess part of it was our own selfishness - we love to travel so much that we just got them used to it early...;) . But, they were in Europe as young as 5 and also did real well on a 2 week trip to Alaska last summer. This summer (the younger one will be 10 soon), we are planning a Northern Europe cruise with them. They have found all the trips very interesting, and we mix in a good dose of beach/skiing/family type trips to keep things fun for them also. Also, on the more "educational" type trips, we've always tried to find things that are a little more appealing to their particular age also. All cities have parks, fun museums, etc. And on a cruise, they should also still have the usual "kid" oriented activities.

We've been traveling to Europe with our oldest DD since she was 11 years old. She absolutely loves traveling abroad. We've always encouraged her to do some research on where we were traveling and pick out a few things that she wanted to see or do.

The youngest is only 2 1/2 so she just goes along for the ride! :)

Enjoy Europe...I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Remember, the shopping is great in most European ports. Have her research what different areas are noted for and be certain to have her budget for some cool sweatshirt/T-shirts and jewlery from the trip.

Have her do some research and help plan the sightseeing trips. You'll be surprised what will pique her interest (my daughter came with us to Florence when she was four and still talks about the "Venus coming out of the clam shell" picture from the Ufficio - she's now nine. And her addition to our iternerary for our long weekend in Minneapolis/St. Paul last year was a trip to the outdoor sculpture gardens to see "Spoonbridge with Cherry").

I think Europe would be great. I only wish my parents would have done that for me when I was young. It is educational and fun. They can site see as much as they want and hang out the rest of the time. My friend took her kids many times to Europe and it was great. I would recommend arriving a day or two in advance to help them adjust to the time difference. For more information her is my email address....Staceysell@aol.com:D

a 13 year old girl would absolutely LOVE sightseeing in Europe, I know I did when I was that age, the churches, architecture, food and culture was fascinating, and I could have done it all summer without getting bored......Now, a typical 13 year old boy might (and even then, I doubt it) get bored, but I think a girl would have a great time.

We will be on Crystal's Baltic cruise. Had originally booked Celebrity's Constellation, but have been on Summit twice and will be on RCI this spring, so thought to try something a little different.

Have to agree with g2cruise about traveling as a child. I went abroad several times as a "youngster", and those experiences were invaluable. It really helps to mix it up - fun and educational. I think kids in general are fascinated by things that are different.

i'm 16 and love Europe- i have been a few times. Europe is probably my favoruite place to go! I've never been on a cruise to Europe- i think i'd rather rent a car and drive around (thats what we do)...There is so much history, its so beatiful and interesting, It's really awesome to learn about things that happened in the past, before my country was even founded!!

Archived