Conquest 1/9/05-1/16/05 Review (PART 1)

SxyEbnyFem

About Us

This was our very first cruise, both as a couple and as individuals. DBF & I are in our late 20s-mid 30s. We booked to go on this cruise 13 months in advanced with our TA. Our travel mates (varying between the ages of late 30s – late 50s) were 10 other couples and 2 guys, one newly separated. We all drove to the Port of New Orleans in 5 different vehicles. We were all supposed to leave in a caravan Thursday night, but we a change of plans, which caused DBF & myself to leave early Saturday morning.

Travel to New Orleans

Uneventful & took forever. As I stated before, we drove from Southwest MO. We left at 4:45am Sat morning & finally arrived at our hotel around 6:30pm that evening. Normally, it is an 11hr & 45 min drive. However, once in New Orleans, we got lost looking for our hotel, Prytania Park Hotel. Apparently, everyone in our group got lost looking for the hotel, so that made me feel much better about the directions I had printed off from Mapquest. Somehow, we ended up on Bourbon Street. What a nightmare that was! HA! After we found the hotel, we checked in, and then ventured out to look around. We had planned on dining at The Gumbo Shop, but that didn’t happen because we couldn’t find the place per directions from Mapquest. Being tired from the long drive, we decided to just turn in for the night to be well rested for the next day.

Prytania Park Hotel

We came about this hotel via our travel agent. Once we arrived at the hotel, the staff was very friendly. Checked in. You are required to leave a $50 refundable deposit, which was not told to us in advance, but it wasn’t a problem. The deposit is for phone usage & for any refreshments consumed from the lobby. Received room keys & got the luggage from the vehicle.

The first room we were given was not up to par per my standards. The room was very small and the furniture looked worn. I always pull back the bedspread to look at the sheets (old flight attendant thing, don’t ask!). Looking at the bedspread itself should have been a warning. It was stained. The pillowcases were dirty and there was hair also on one of the pillowcases. The headboard wasn’t even attached to the bed frame – it was just leaned against the wall in front of it. I didn’t dare venture into the bathroom.

After discovering the not so nice gifts under the bedspread, I marched right down to talk to someone at the check-in desk. I explained the problem I had with the room and even insisted someone come look as well. It wasn’t needed. I was immediately given an apology & then supposively upgraded to a junior suite without hesitation. Exchanged keys and off we went to collect our luggage once again.

In the midst of loading the luggage cart, someone did come to inspect the room. He apologized profusely and said that there shouldn’t be any problems with our junior suite. I asked why wasn’t the headboard attached, he told me they were in the middle of renovating the hotel. (Um, yeah, right, whatever you say. Doesn’t take much effort to secure the headboard to the bed frame, ya know.) I asked for clean sheets & cases to be delivered to our new room and he gave his word they would be there when we got there.

The junior suite was much larger than the other room. I did notice peeling wallpaper, though. We also had a balcony that you couldn’t go out on. The bathroom could have used a good cleaning, too. I didn’t dare step on the tile while showering, but stood on a towel. (I had forgotten my shower shoes!!)

The junior suite was a loft suite. The dressing area, bathroom, wardrobe, sofa, chest of drawers, tv, mini fridge & microwave were downstairs. There was a spiral staircase in the corner of the livingroom that lead to the loft area bedroom. In it, a king size bed with two night tables on each side & one lamp. There was also a chair in that room, too. The pillowcases & sheets were spotless, as should be. After a hot hot hot shower, we settled in the big comfy bed and slept really well until morning.

And true to his word, there were extra bed sheets and cases in the room when we got there.

Checkout was a breeze. Got $48 and some change (deposit) back. And, come to find out our room rate was cheaper than the travel agent quoted us and we weren’t charged for parking the week there, either. (Not sure if this had anything to do with the unclean room, though, and I didn’t ask.) Figuring we paid $101 and some change for our room and received free parking for the week, we were feeling alright. The parking lot is fenced in. We observed someone patrol the area the night we arrived, so we felt safe with leaving the diesel truck there. For added security, we parked right up front to the side of the hotel near the doors.

Would we stay there again? Probably not, but for the money we paid & to have free parking – it was ok to try for just one time. Also, added bonus was being just a mere mile away from the pier.

Drive to the Pier

My advice to anyone traveling to the Port of New Orleans would be to take a taxi to the pier. It is a MADHOUSE there. After waiting for over a good 30 min (had to ask the desk twice to call a taxi), a taxi van picked us up. Loaded the luggage & off we went to fight traffic for about 20 min. I can’t imagine driving in that mess & parking near there myself. Definitely glad we took a taxi. We tipped the driver well, too, being that we had a lot of luggage & he didn’t complain nor charged us for the excess. Needless to say, he was quite happy. We got to the pier at 11:00am. (Others in our group decided to load up luggage in one vehicle & then drop it off at the pier. They later returned to park the vehicle at the hotel to take a taxi to the pier. We beat them all on the ship. I think it was because of the traffic.) The driver got us a porter & on our way we went. Yes, we tipped the porter, too.

Embarkation Process

Checking in was painless. Just be sure to have all your forms filled out before hand. We had discussed using cash, but DBF waited until the last minute to say he wanted to use his credit card. It wasn’t a problem, but he did put a kink in my organizational agenda! No problem for the lady who checked us in, though. She was kind & friendly. Through the doorway & off to the yellow chairs we went. We waited for about 20 min & on our way we were through security, all the picture taking and then onboard the ship. Before we were let on, we were told our cabins wouldn’t be ready until 2pm, but it would be alright to drop off our carryons. Off to the cabin to do that, then up to the Lido Deck where we had our first of many delicious burgers. We were on the ship by 11:30am.

PART 2 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=124923

Thanks for part 1 of your trip.. I cant imagine getting a room that nasty.. :0) I think I would freak out.. at least they got you in another room.. Thanks for the tip about the taxi.. We heard about a place where you can park your car and they will shuttle you to the port so I think we will definitely go with that.. especially with all the construction mess.. Does anyone know how long this construction will go on?? Glad to hear you were onboard by 11:30.. just curious though.. What time did you get to the port to be able to be onboard by 11:30?? Im hoping to be on by that time also..

On to look at part 2..

Tinka,

Thank you thank you thank you for taking the time for your detailed review.

Bummed to learn about the Prytania Park room being dirty, since we are staying there too. At least they got you into a clean new room. Also appreciate the heads up about the $50 deposit.

Off to read part dos:)

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel - I was second guessing on booking the Holiday Inn Convention Center Blvd - which I thought would work out better location wisee to the pier.

I read all your "PARTS" and have to say it sounds like you really had a wonderful time. Hope to SEA U ONBOARD someday.

Thanks for part 1 of your trip.. I cant imagine getting a room that nasty.. :0) I think I would freak out.. at least they got you in another room.. Thanks for the tip about the taxi.. We heard about a place where you can park your car and they will shuttle you to the port so I think we will definitely go with that.. especially with all the construction mess.. Does anyone know how long this construction will go on?? Glad to hear you were onboard by 11:30.. just curious though.. What time did you get to the port to be able to be onboard by 11:30?? Im hoping to be on by that time also..On to look at part 2..

Waterbound - You are welcomed. Not sure what time we go to the pier, but we left in the taxi around 10:50am, if I remember correctly. Not many people were there when we got to the pier to go through the embarkation process. Guess we timed it just right, eh? Just remember to keep your wits about you if anything goes haywire on your pre-cruise stay & the cruise itself.

I'm not surprised about the state of your room, Tinka. Our assessment of the NOLA airport was not favorable, which seems to be consistent with how you found the first hotel room. Yeek!

Merrilee - Yeek is right! The hotel itself wasn't bad at all. It's quaint, really. Kinda reminds me of an old bed & breakfast - it has that kind of feel to it. I think coming across that not up to par room was by chance, really. I have stayed at some pretty nice expensive hotels & have had issues with the rooms as well. I guess it's really just the draw of the luck!

Tinka,

Thank you thank you thank you for taking the time for your detailed review.

Bummed to learn about the Prytania Park room being dirty, since we are staying there too. At least they got you into a clean new room. Also appreciate the heads up about the $50 deposit. Off to read part dos:)

Seajay - You are welcomed. Don't be bummed. Go with a good attitude. If by chance you have a problem with your room, then bring it to their attention immediately. Don't settle & have it ruin your stay there. Okay?!

Thanks for the heads up on the hotel - I was second guessing on booking the Holiday Inn Convention Center Blvd - which I thought would work out better location wisee to the pier. I read all your "PARTS" and have to say it sounds like you really had a wonderful time. Hope to SEA U ONBOARD someday.

Cheryl - You are welcomed. Yes, we did have a wonderful time. I am ready to go back NOW! I see you are going on the Conquest once again. You like it that much, eh? LOL!

Happy sailing,

T.

Cheryl - You are welcomed. Yes, we did have a wonderful time. I am ready to go back NOW! I see you are going on the Conquest once again. You like it that much, eh? LOL! Happy sailing, T.

Actually - YES I DO !

We prefer to drive (even though we will probably be flying next year to Florida) so NO is great for us. Family and friends sailed with us last time and will again this time. Nothing like your own party to get you started. On top of that - it's my birthday first formal night - so that should be fun, fun, fun.

Merrilee - Yeek is right! The hotel itself wasn't bad at all. It's quaint, really. Kinda reminds me of an old bed & breakfast - it has that kind of feel to it. I think coming across that not up to par room was by chance, really. I have stayed at some pretty nice expensive hotels & have had issues with the rooms as well. I guess it's really just the draw of the luck!

Seajay - You are welcomed. Don't be bummed. Go with a good attitude. If by chance you have a problem with your room, then bring it to their attention immediately. Don't settle & have it ruin your stay there. Okay?!

Hey T, Good Attitudes R Me! :p I saw on another post you mentioned the c word. I have been in treatment for 3 years and wasn't expected to still be here. So YOU KNOW I am going to have a good tude. I am not only still here, I am on vacation, not just any vacation an AMAZING vacation with my sweet little girl, and something like a room not being up to par won't slow me down. I am very much the type to point it out and have it taken care of. I have read other reviews that this hotel may be spotty when it comes to making up a room, but that when things are pointed out they are quick to take action and that the staff are friendly. And you did say the bed was comfy :) I like the idea that the hotel feels a bit like a funky bed and breakfast, because we are flying in Wednesday afternoon. We'll fit some sightseeing and parade going in until we leave Sunday morning.

Did you get an idea how early they would start to take luggage at the pier?

There will be a parade coming through 11 to 12 ish and I would like to get our stuff handed off before the streets are an even bigger mess.

We are going to be in room 6404, just above Vincent's. You said the Karaoke ends pretty early? Does that mean the lounge is fairly quiet in the wee hours?

Not to sound like a techno nerd, but rather than an alarm clock I travel with my PDA and its charger. It works as an alarm clock, I have ebooks on it, tunes on it, I can take a quick snapshot with it and it has a world clock with four time zones that I can select, addresses for postcards. Now if the rest of my packing :p could be so compact. Ha!

Actually - YES I DO ! We prefer to drive (even though we will probably be flying next year to Florida) so NO is great for us. Family and friends sailed with us last time and will again this time. Nothing like your own party to get you started. On top of that - it's my birthday first formal night - so that should be fun, fun, fun.

I know what ya mean about havingt your own party to get ya started. That is so true. Glad we cruised for the first time with our friends. Happy birthday to you in advance!!

Hey T, Good Attitudes R Me! I saw on another post you mentioned the c word. I have been in treatment for 3 years and wasn't expected to still be here. So YOU KNOW I am going to have a good tude. I am not only still here, I am on vacation, not just any vacation an AMAZING vacation with my sweet little girl, and something like a room not being up to par won't slow me down. I am very much the type to point it out and have it taken care of. I have read other reviews that this hotel may be spotty when it comes to making up a room, but that when things are pointed out they are quick to take action and that the staff are friendly. And you did say the bed was comfy I like the idea that the hotel feels a bit like a funky bed and breakfast, because we are flying in Wednesday afternoon. We'll fit some sightseeing and parade going in until we leave Sunday morning.

Did you get an idea how early they would start to take luggage at the pier?

There will be a parade coming through 11 to 12 ish and I would like to get our stuff handed off before the streets are an even bigger mess.

We are going to be in room 6404, just above Vincent's. You said the Karaoke ends pretty early? Does that mean the lounge is fairly quiet in the wee hours?

Not to sound like a techno nerd, but rather than an alarm clock I travel with my PDA and its charger. It works as an alarm clock, I have ebooks on it, tunes on it, I can take a quick snapshot with it and it has a world clock with four time zones that I can select, addresses for postcards. Now if the rest of my packing could be so compact. Ha!

Much success to you regarding the 'C.' You are right about attitudes being everything in any given situation. It truly makes a difference, I believe. Not sure how early they take luggage at the pier. We took ours with us when we went to the pier & stayed there. I would think the lounge would be silent after karaoke since they do close the doors and turn the lights off! :cool: Cindy, you are a techno nerd & it's ok!! :p

Happy sailing,

T.

Archived