How Do I Get to "A" Beach in Kona On My Own?

mousey

Hi, everyone, does anyone know how I can get to the "A" Beach, I believe its Anaehoomalu Bay, from the place were NCL docks its POA? How much would a cab ride be and how long would the ride be? How much would it be to rent a car for the day in Kona? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!:D

It's at least 45 minutes to 1 hour from Kona to A-Bay/Beach. A taxi would be extremely expensive, IMO; minimum $130 round-trip not including tip.

For car rentals in Kona, you might want to do an advanced search on this forum only because that's a common question and has been discussed recently. It will cost more to rent from the two small cruise-passengers only locations at the King Kamehameha Beach Hotel, which is across the street from the tender pier. You're paying for the convenience. There's an Enterprise in Kona about 1 mile from the pier. The other rental locations are up the coast at the airport, about 20 to 30 by car. Most don't send shuttles to the tender pier because it's not cost-/time-effective.

Rental car costs vary widely by location, time of year, and type of car. Your best bet is to go to the rental car websites and enter your specifications to find the the specific costs.

beachchick

I didn't have anything planned for Kona... leaving it as a beach day. I wasn't sure if I should rent a car or not and would really appreciate some suggestions.. ASAP!! I am sailing on the POA on March 6.... I hadn't reserved a car, but am now rethinking it. I just want a laid back beach day, is there anything withing a close distance or is it more advisable to rent a car?? thanks

For both the initial poster and jled: rent a car. reserve it ahead of time (which rental company provides the best cruise passenger service keeps changing, so just call several of them - do any provide shuttle service to the airport?). jled, there are no nice "beach-day" beaches within walking distance of the pier. But some of the best beaches in the country are about 45 minutes north, including Hapuna, "Mauna Kea" (my fave), and the weird but amazing Kiholo Bay. With a car they're do-able. Without they're impossible to reach. The same goes for A-Bay. Give yourself plenty of time for the return to the pier, like 30-45 min more than your maximum "slow return" time so you're not frazzled. Once you leave the Kailua-Kona area the drive to any of the above beaches is easy.

There is a free trolley shuttle that will take you to the beach.

Vespagirl, do you know what beach that would be? Is it a safe beach for weak swimmers? Do they have good snorkeling there? Thanks for the info and any further info you can provide.:D

Vespagirl, do you know what beach that would be? Is it a safe beach for weak swimmers? Do they have good snorkeling there? Thanks for the info and any further info you can provide.:D

I think they're talking about Kahalu'u Beach Park near Keahou. Snorkeling is good to excellent, lots of turtles, but it is a bit overused, IMHO. Very shallow area, generally safe unless there is strong surf, although you do have to watch out for the surfers on the north side of the beach/bay.

You can actually swim and snorkel (although it isn't great) right at the beach in front of the King Kam hotel and there's state park at the Old Airport that has nice tide pools. It is walkable if you are a good walker - a couple of miles, maybe. Take a left at the light at the top of the intersection above the King Kam.

• 1 year later...

Anyone have more info on this free shuttle mentioned? Or any shuttle to a decent beach? We want a day for kids ages 6 to 14 and my MIL 62....she will need a beach chair. We'd like to snorkel - not picky about the quality of the snorkling - just would like to see some fish...My husband just read about a trolley that is a buck a person....called Keauhou Trolley that has mulitple stops (21!) including some beaches. Sounds too good to be true so I wonder if anyone has used this?

Main questions here -

Beach with chairs for rent....

Snorkel gear for rent and wade-in snorkeling....

anyone used the Keauhou Trolley....

Thanks!

Anyone have more info on this free shuttle mentioned? Or any shuttle to a decent beach? We want a day for kids ages 6 to 14 and my MIL 62....she will need a beach chair. We'd like to snorkel - not picky about the quality of the snorkling - just would like to see some fish...My husband just read about a trolley that is a buck a person....called Keauhou Trolley that has mulitple stops (21!) including some beaches. Sounds too good to be true so I wonder if anyone has used this?

Main questions here -

Beach with chairs for rent....

Snorkel gear for rent and wade-in snorkeling....

anyone used the Keauhou Trolley....

Thanks!

I will be there in 2 wks & will possibly be using the Trolley as we are not renting a car. The trolley schedule is attached in case you don't have it. I'll be writing a review upon my return in early-mid April.

Kona Trolley Schedule.pdf

These pictures were taken in Kona. There is a beach on the side of the dock where the tender drops you off (very little) that is sand and has boueys so you don't go past there. Then on the other side is a little deeper and not sandy that people swim in too which is in this picture. Sure not big thats for sure but they could swim anyway.

2950873390040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

You can't really see the beach from here but it is there by the water. This picture was taken from Walmart:

2905636050040669306S200x200Q85.jpg

http://www.keauhouresort.com/pdfs/trolley-schedule.pdf

You can get on the trolley at the pier (stop 11)

Then go to Magic Sands Beach (18) or Kahaluu beach (19)

Kahaluu is a great snorkeling beach- you have to get off at the Keauhou Outrigger Resort and walk through the lobby to get to the beach.

Coming home from the beach use stops 5 or 6 on the schedule.

Here are some pictures-

Magic Sands- 5379648684_fb7d1f4830.jpg[/url]

Kahaluu - a greysand beach with great snorkeling and very shallow ( the best and most pristine viewing areas are out by the breakwall)

5379049361_fbc39884c1.jpg[/url]

img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5411882463_c967c03411_z.jpg[/img][/url]

The Beach at the pier - has some good snorkeling and is great if you are short on time.

5379022973_9f9eb3fd1d.jpg[/url

5412315166_125a99a909.jpg[/url]

The trolley ride itself is a great way to see Kona. It will also take you up to the Target shopping centre

Archived