Maui and Kauai at Night - What To Do?

mousey

Hi everyone, does anyone know what there is to do in Maui and Kauai at night? We will be sailing on the POA and would like to go into town in the evening for dinner and maybe a little shopping. Does anyone know what the hours are for the shuttle that takes you from the dock to the shopping area? Any restaurant suggestions or other suggestions for what to do? We'd party but are traveling with our 14 yr. DS. So no can do bars or nightclubs. Thanks for any info?:D

There's a couple of malls near Kahului docks. There might be something on at the Maui Centre http://www.mauiarts.org/ don't know much about that side of the island, only really pass thru' upon arrival & departure ! If you have a car you could go to Lahaina or Kaanapali, lots there. You always do a luau too.

Kauai is pretty sleepy; maybe something at the Marriott / Hula Grill fairly close to the dock. There's luaus of course. Can't think of much else right now.

If you're there October 30/31 when Lahaina has its Halloween be warned about the traffic, in 2005 it took us over three hours to get from the airport to Lahaina :)

There's a couple of malls near Kahului docks. There might be something on at the Maui Centre http://www.mauiarts.org/ don't know much about that side of the island, only really pass thru' upon arrival & departure ! If you have a car you could go to Lahaina or Kaanapali, lots there. You always do a luau too.

Kauai is pretty sleepy; maybe something at the Marriott / Hula Grill fairly close to the dock. There's luaus of course. Can't think of much else right now.

If you're there October 30/31 when Lahaina has its Halloween be warned about the traffic, in 2005 it took us over three hours to get from the airport to Lahaina :)

:D

Thanks for your response. We've already done a Luau, but thanks for the idea. I'll have to keep investigating. The Marriott/Hula Grill sounds interesting but I thought someone on these boards posted that its closed. Do you know anything about that?

I read the ships use the luau at Gaylord in Lihue, there's another onenear Kapaa on the Wailua river, it's called Smith's would you believe !

It's Duke's not Hula Grill, their site doesn't say they're closed http://www.dukeskauai.com/

Thanks for posting this because you saved us a trip. We have a Duke's right here in Malibu, CA where I live so I would rather go somewhere new. Thanks for your reply!:D

I always enjoy the "Tour of the Stars" from the roof of the Hyatt on Kaanapali. Here's a link: http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/activities/onsite/details.jsp?onsiteActId=424 It's a couple bucks more for non-hotel guests but is fun and informative...and way cool. ;) The astronomer is excellent. They have two very large telescopes and one pair of extremely high-powered, scientific binoculars. Neat to hear the Hawaiian legends of the stars/constellations (ex - the stars in Orion's belt are believed to be canoe paddlers making their way across the Pacific to Hawaii).

I don't know what night you'll be on Maui, but Friday Night Is Art Night in Lahaina (that's the name of the weekly celebration). The stores/galleries stay open later and offer pupus and beverages as you wander the galleries meeting the artists, etc.

One other option - if you happen to be on Maui on one of the two "right" nights each month, the Pacific Whale Foundation offers night sails with an astronomer. If you're there during whale season, you can hear the whales all around you at night - very surreal. And, when they hit the trail of moonlight, you can see them. Again, way cool. :) If you're not there during whale season but are still there on a star-watching cruise night, it is excellent, too. Again, the astronomer is top-notch.

• 2 weeks later...
I always enjoy the "Tour of the Stars" from the roof of the Hyatt on Kaanapali. Here's a link: http://maui.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/activities/onsite/details.jsp?onsiteActId=424 It's a couple bucks more for non-hotel guests but is fun and informative...and way cool. ;) The astronomer is excellent. They have two very large telescopes and one pair of extremely high-powered, scientific binoculars. Neat to hear the Hawaiian legends of the stars/constellations (ex - the stars in Orion's belt are believed to be canoe paddlers making their way across the Pacific to Hawaii).

I don't know what night you'll be on Maui, but Friday Night Is Art Night in Lahaina (that's the name of the weekly celebration). The stores/galleries stay open later and offer pupus and beverages as you wander the galleries meeting the artists, etc.

One other option - if you happen to be on Maui on one of the two "right" nights each month, the Pacific Whale Foundation offers night sails with an astronomer. If you're there during whale season, you can hear the whales all around you at night - very surreal. And, when they hit the trail of moonlight, you can see them. Again, way cool. :) If you're not there during whale season but are still there on a star-watching cruise night, it is excellent, too. Again, the astronomer is top-notch.

When is whale season. We are there mid April.

When is whale season. We are there mid April.

You'll definitely have whales in April. Mid-April is when they start to thin out...but still many to be seen! I've seen them as late as the second week of May. Feb/Mar is the height of the season.

Enjoy!

Archived