Trekking Pole Questions

Mike2131

Even though they are recommended, did you find you needed them in the Arctic? If so, did you use a pair or what I will call a mono-pole?

We have found bad reviews of the locking mechanism on the Leki models (poor performance in cold weather) and favor Black Diamond.

We are assembling gear for June and any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Even though they are recommended, did you find you needed them in the Arctic? If so, did you use a pair or what I will call a mono-pole?

We have found bad reviews of the locking mechanism on the Leki models (poor performance in cold weather) and favor Black Diamond.

We are assembling gear for June and any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Mike, we were on this cruise last year and never walked very far as there was a fairly small perimeter where you had to stay on most landings. So, unless you have a motility issue would not bring a pole. On the other hand, if you bring a mono-pod for a camera it can double as a walking stick.

Mike, we were on this cruise last year and never walked very far as there was a fairly small perimeter where you had to stay on most landings. So, unless you have a motility issue would not bring a pole. On the other hand, if you bring a mono-pod for a camera it can double as a walking stick.

With the possible encounters with hungry polar bears, I can certainly understand the tight perimeter. Neither of us has a mobility issue and are in reasonable shape. As a followup, were there different hikes/explorations offered - easy, moderate, and strenuous?

Thanks.

Which cruise are you on? My DH and I are on the 6/29 Longyearbyen to Tromso. We're working on gear accumulation too so I'm interested in hearing your questions.

I'm wondering about the fit of the parkas. The measurements in SS's expedition gear seem to have small hips, big chest (more like a man's jkt than unisex). Any comments from women on how they fit?

The jackets are unisex and the size guide on the web site is accurate. If you are not sure go larger vs. smaller since you will have your layers underneath. As for the poles I wouldn't worry about bringing them they have many different types on board and bring them to the landings so if you want one or two they are on board for your use. You also don't need boots the ship has sufficient sizes to fit you - just bring your own boot liners. Have a great trip - ours to Antarctica this Jan-Feb was spectacular.

With the possible encounters with hungry polar bears, I can certainly understand the tight perimeter. Neither of us has a mobility issue and are in reasonable shape. As a followup, were there different hikes/explorations offered - easy, moderate, and strenuous?

Thanks.

No, and we were disappointed in that. All the expeditions were really too easy for us, especially after getting back from an Antarctica trip. I just felt that SilverSea was short staffed and felt somewhat new to expedition cruising. I did get some flack about that on this board when I returned and posted some comments. They were definitely short staffed with only 4 speakers and no "photo coach" since she had broken her leg a couple of cruises before us and was not replaced. With that said, I read the log after ours with a different expedition leader and they definitely did a long 2 hour or so hike on one landing.

I just feel with the airline restrictions and all I personally would not bring a stick if you do not have a motility issue. We just got back from Asia, Great Wall, Angkor Wat etc and did not bring a stick. Most airlines within China and Thailand and Cambodia had carry-on limits of about 10 pounds.

I'm wondering about the fit of the parkas. The measurements in SS's expedition gear seem to have small hips, big chest (more like a man's jkt than unisex). Any comments from women on how they fit?

They are suppose to be large to go over your long underwear, shirt, sweats as well as over your sweat pants and water proof pants. If you use a small P&S camera you also want that on a lanyard and under your jacket so you hands are free.

I met one women who did not get a Parka as they did not have enough and one to fit her. Luckily she brought her own ski jacket. They have plenty of boots to borrow.

We just got back from Asia, Great Wall, Angkor Wat etc and did not bring a stick. Most airlines within China and Thailand and Cambodia had carry-on limits of about 10 pounds.

Off thread but what did you think of Angkor Wat - are you glad you went? We are still trying to both arrange work schedules to extend after our October cruise long enough to go there.

Off thread but what did you think of Angkor Wat - are you glad you went? We are still trying to both arrange work schedules to extend after our October cruise long enough to go there.

It was great. We left Azamara Quest mid-cruise for one night and rejoined the ship in Bangkok.

Which cruise are you on? My DH and I are on the 6/29 Longyearbyen to Tromso. We're working on gear accumulation too so I'm interested in hearing your questions.

We are on the 6/22 RT out of Longyearbyen. With the charter and route changes, ours is the only RT out of Longyearbyen until 2012 - if then. I am not sure why that change was made.

The jackets are unisex and the size guide on the web site is accurate. If you are not sure go larger vs. smaller since you will have your layers underneath. As for the poles I wouldn't worry about bringing them they have many different types on board and bring them to the landings so if you want one or two they are on board for your use. You also don't need boots the ship has sufficient sizes to fit you - just bring your own boot liners. Have a great trip - ours to Antarctica this Jan-Feb was spectacular.

Going with their poles (first I had heard about availability of poles) - and probably their boots - will make packing (checked and carry-on) lighter and easier.

Thank you very much.

Jade13: I was on the same voyage as you and, from what I remember, you were often in complain-mode.

Don't know why, because no-one else was - including the others in your party.

That voyage around Svalbard was among the most wonderful, fun-filled experiences any of us had had.

And the crew and the facilities were just amazing.

Indeed, the proof of this is that the ship is now so popular it is booked out for all of 2010!

This thread is not the first time, so it seems something's put a bee in your bonnet; but, even so, it might be time to give it a rest, surely!

If you go to the silversea web site to the expedition journals and click on the pictures you can get a sense of what people are wearing. The Arctic is warmer than Antarctica though we had wonderful weather (we left on Jan 29th cruise). We too were surprised that the ship had poles and I did use them for the climbs we did - they were helpful. Some people brought their own but the ones the ship had (and brought to every landing site) were adjustable and the great expedition crew even adjusted them to fit you. Most people took one people but some took 2 - they always seemed to have more poles than people. Jackets are another story make sure you order the correct size since they don't have many extras on board and you have to hope someone else's didn't fit.

Archived