Elegant/Formal clothes for the kids....

tampabrat22

I thought it would be fun to have a thread about our kids cruise wear, I know sometimes people need suggestions or help finding the perfect clothes for the younger ones too, so I started a thread just for that!! Only problem is I put it over in the cruise fashion area!!

I should have posted it in this section, but anyway if you are interested in sharing pics or whatever check out this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150805

I know a lot of parents do not bother with formal wear, but I love dressing my almost 2yo up! She loves the dresses. I also think the other passengers treat her better, rather than expecting a crying toddler they seem to give her a chance.

I am a sale queen and keep my eye out for pretty silk dresses in the clearance rack and at consignment sales. We almost always dress her up on all formal and semiformal nights.

Now that DD has reached her teen years and has moved into Juniors sized clothing - it has been a bit more difficult to get appropriate formalwear. There are "cocktail" type dresses galore (for prom, homecoming, other formals), but they tend to be a bit on the sexy side. She's 14YO and 1) doesn't have the goods to fill out some of these dresses (who could possibly be a size 00 and have that size bust? -- at least naturally :eek:), and 2) She's 14YO, she doesn't NEED to be sexy!

She has a cute basic black halter style (although with the bare back, the bra cost more than the dress!) and a spagetti strap turquoise with a pretty black lace overlay that we shortened the straps to eliminate the clevage issues.

I've had a similiar problem dressing her and her 14YO girl cousin for a couple of family funerals over the past few months. My DH's family made it pretty well intact into their late-80s and mid-90s, but have lost two great uncles, a great aunt, and grandpa within the past 8 months. Trying to find something that is conservative enough for a funeral for that age group (at least girls) is really quite a feat.

Archived