shorts in dining room

shelli0729

are nice cargo/khaki shorts and a nice tee ok for young men in the dining room? What about on formal/elegant night too?

You may want to look at Carnival.com. It spells it out pretty clear. I dont know of any distinction between old folks and young folks.....

are nice cargo/khaki shorts and a nice tee ok for young men in the dining room? What about on formal/elegant night too?

I think they are fine for regular nights, but elegant evening calls for pants, IMHO.

Here is the quote from the website:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Boy, don't be shocked when you see shorts because they are worn every night, right or wrong in the MDR. With anytime dinning becoming the more popular mode of dinning I believe the days of Elegant Night may be numbered or relegated to Captains cocktail party or the Steak Houses. Our last cruise over half the main dinning room was reserved for AT dinning. We still dress up say business casual but not formal. The tux I purchased and used on many cruises is long gone to Goodwill.

If you feel compelled to wear shorts, please find your way to the Lido deck and avoid the MDR.

That is certainly not for you to say, as Carnival's rules clearly allow shorts in the MDR on non-elegant nights.

I don't understand the obsession by some folks about what other people are wearing.

As long as everyone is clothed, with no inappropriate body parts showing, who cares?!?!?!?!

Although I would suspect a troll starting this,,maybe you are not. Therefore I would ask in what world are cargo shorts formal or elegant? Wear your big boy pants on those nights.

Assuming this is a legit question, which I'm not certain it is because why would someone ask about wearing shorts on elegant night, my thoughts:

I'd say OK on the cargo/khaki shorts but not the tee (T-shirt?) on casual night. Wear a shirt with a collar.

On elegant night, at least some khaki pants.

Here is what Carnival says about the issue:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Per the Carnival code they are perfectly acceptable for all nights except elegant. A polo or collared shirt and some type of long pants are required for that night.

Wear what you would like and enjoy your vacation. Live and let live people!:D

Per the Carnival code they are perfectly acceptable for all nights except elegant. A polo or collared shirt and some type of long pants are required for that night.

Wear what you would like and enjoy your vacation. Live and let live people!:D

So can I wear my bathing suit cover up dress over my bathing suit to dinner? I promise that I will wear nice flip flops! ;)

I have dress shorts, but I would never consider wearing them in the dining room at dinner ever!!!!! I understand that the young person doesn't want to dress up, but you know what MAKE THEM!!!! They will have to wear dress/or busness attire soon enough, you might as well get them into the habit and if they moan and groan about it suggest that they can stay home with Grandma and Grandpa....

Seriously, minor aged children need to be treated like children, they need to be told that this is how it is, and do it....Someone has to prepare them for the harsh reality of the adult world, so as a parent it is your job to do that. You've been in that boat too, your parents made you dress up to go to a nice restaurant, why not be a good parent and make your child do the same.

Elegant night--you see almost everything, but for the most part, what you do see people wearing clothes that they would wear to a nice dinner party at a modest or elegant dining restaurant. That said, you can get away with a pair of dressy pants/skirt/dress and a nice blouse. Some choose to bust out the Tux and fancy party dress--let them! I wear my dress clothes I wear for work--dress pants and a nice top.

If all else fails, go to the buffet!

How about Carnival's opinion...

Quoted from Carnival Caper dated October 12, 2009

DINING DRESS CODES

Cruise Casual Attire:

Gentlemen- Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut offs), dress shorts (long) collared sports shirts.

Ladies- Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut offs)

see how easy that was?

vw

Archived